OT: Are the Leafs widely embraced by all demographics in Toronto or not?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The Leafs is the only team that can sustain losing for a long period of time and sell out every game with ease. The raptors are big now, but thats also due in large part to them doing well, once they start losing the fans will start to leave I think . Also, the Blue Jays do better tv ratings than the Raptors , the Blue Jays averaged 4 million in the wild card game vs Baltimore while the Raptors(same year) averaged around 1.5 million viewers

Citations below

Blue Jays AL wild card game averaged 4 million viewers in Canada, Sportsnet says | Toronto Star

Toronto Raptors’ Game 7 Win Becomes Most-Watched Basketball Game Ever on TSN – Bell Media

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
In my Middle Eastern community, baseball is absolutely not even on the radar. Even when the Blue Jays are in the playoffs, very few people care. The sport does not resonate at all with people in that part of the world. The pace is a big reason.

Basketball is the most popular as well as the Maple Leafs.

Reactions: torontoblood

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
I doubt TFC will ever surpass the Jays, Leafs and Raps considering how its a much inferior league compare to the ones they have in Europe. Sports fans are generally attracted in watching the best players play at their respective sport and that is what the MLB, NHL and NBA offers.

There are so many leagues in soccer though, so it's slightly different. Who knows where the level of play will be with the MLS in the coming years, it's getting better and better. Attract more big names like Zlatan and we're in serious business. Stars drive fan interest as much as anything theses days.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
All you have to do is look at Jurassic Park/Leaf Square during playoff time.

Leafs have way more people.

But Raptors crowd is way more diverse.

I don't really get that term diverse, lets just say it how it really is.

Maple Leaf square during playoffs 95% white.

Jurassic Park during playoff time 95% black/brown.

Reactions: Whaleafs

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think it's true that the Leafs have a more white demographic of supporters when compared to the Raptors.

That said, as a South Asian hockey fan, the buildings I feel most comfortable and at home are in Toronto and Vancouver. There's lots of South Asian hockey fans, including friend groups full of them, but the Raptors probably win over in the aggregate among South Asians.

I remember going to games in Detroit when I lived in Ann Arbor. And it felt eerily uncomfortable because Detroit downtown is very diverse, with a high percentage of African Americans. But once you sit down at the Joe, you're the only visible minority in the building other than staff that work there. It just feels like you don't quite belong there.

I think it's pretty remarkable how the Leafs (and Raptors and Blue Jays, for that matter) have significant support across the many communities in diverse Toronto.

Reactions: NiftyMits

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Back to the original question:

Yes? No? Maybe so?

How should we go about obtaining the proper statistics on your question, Mr. Johnny Budwick?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I remember going to games in Detroit when I lived in Ann Arbor. And it felt eerily uncomfortable because Detroit downtown is very diverse, with a high percentage of African Americans. But once you sit down at the Joe, you're the only visible minority in the building other than staff that work there. It just feels like you don't quite belong there.

You've just expressed that you were "eerily uncomfortable" because you were sitting amongst a high percentage of African Americans.

Care to explain why?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Draw your own conclusion. "White folk" and "Brown dude" weren't even mentioned in the post, so where you got that from is beyond me.

Either way, he said he was eerily uncomfortable being amongst a high percentage of African Americans.

Why?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Let's see what happens if the Leafs make a playoff run.

Where I live, everyone is wearing a Jays hat/shirt/etc.

And I see all kinds of Habs fans too and I bite my tongue, "he's just a kid he didn't know any better!"

I don't care about that stuff. That's bandwagon shit and it will get crazy for the Leafs so prepare yourself for that.

The whole GTA will go apeshit for the Leafs if they win a round.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Draw your own conclusion. "White folk" and "Brown dude" weren't even mentioned in the post, so where you got that from is beyond me.

Either way, he said he was eerily uncomfortable being amongst a high percentage of African Americans.

Why?

No the other guy is right. The eerily uncomfortable part is the dramatic difference in demographics when compared to Detroit and being the only visible minority in a 20k arena, except for staff.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
College basketball is corrupt and you can usually pick the NBA finalist in October. Given those circumstances there’s not much for me to get excited about basketball.
I’ve been to some NBA games, saw the Raptors in Mem and San Antonio, and live it’s bearable because of the entertainment outside of the actual game.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Jays do seem to hit all of Canada in terms of fans. The Raptors don't quite have that countrywide following.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I visited the city this year, quite a few times and while the Leafs seem the most popular team overall, Raptors seem to be closely behind them and even owning entire demographics in a lot of neighbourhoods. And in these latter neighbourhoods, Leafs presence is weak.

You visited a couple of times and think you have a handle on entire demographics?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The Raptors will become more popular with each passing year based on continuing trend of demographics.
Remember, those demographics desperately want to fit in with the multi generation families.
What better way to be accepted by a community by supporting their largest sports love?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
after raptor games, theres raptors post game show on raps tv and they show the crowd leave in the background as commentators talk about the game...if you watch the crowd leave, its literally a bit of everything, whites, blacks, men, women, asian, brown, just everything...if they did this with the leafs, or even looking into the crowd during games when camers are on it, you really dont see too much diversity

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
after raptor games, theres raptors post game show on raps tv and they show the crowd leave in the background as commentators talk about the game...if you watch the crowd leave, its literally a bit of everything, whites, blacks, men, women, asian, brown, just everything...if they did this with the leafs, or even looking into the crowd during games when camers are on it, you really dont see too much diversity

Valid observation IMO. I haven't followed the Jays in years, how diverse is their fan base?

This thread is an interesting one, I have no idea what the demographics are but I'll guess that in terms of passion, Leaf fans are ahead by miles simply because many of us have been fans for such a long time.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Valid observation IMO. I haven't followed the Jays in years, how diverse is their fan base?

This thread is an interesting one, I have no idea what the demographics are but I'll guess that in terms of passion, Leaf fans are ahead by miles simply because many of us have been fans for such a long time.

Jays appear to have the widest base of different groups. Most groups seem to embrace them with equal fervour. Regardless of age, sex, ethnicity etc.

Then again, I’d be interested in seeing how Toronto’s different groups embrace the Leafs during a sustained playoff run. The city was noticeably less diverse the last time the team went on a truly magical run in 1993-1994. I think most groups in Toronto would embrace those future Leafs even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad