OT: Are the Leafs widely embraced by all demographics in Toronto or not?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I think another thing to consider is today's world and what people like and where they wish to be noticed/recognized. In the world of social media where people can follow everything that their fave celeb does at their fingertips, superstars rule. NBA stars are cool and a big part of pop culture. Hockey players are not. Baseball players not as much either, but more than hockey.

Also in the world of social media, it's all about what you are experiencing and to make your friends jealous. "Where is the hippest place to be and how can I associate with that." Courtside near LeBron is a lot more of a "Omg look where I am" experience than with the suits watching some guy in a helmet behind glass. Do people want to associate with Drake looking all cool at the Raptors game, or Mike Myers looking like a goof in his jersey?

The Jays games have worked recently as "The cheap place to be where I can be get tanked off my ass."

Depends who the people are. I want nothing to do with Lebron, Drake, etc. and do not consider NBA players to be cool.

Reactions: BM14

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Depends who the people are. I want nothing to do with Lebron, Drake, etc. and do not consider NBA players to be cool.
Exactly, most seem rather fake in that group.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
This is not true. Toronto has them beat.
And I was in London 2 weeks ago BTW. You see more more in Toronto.
Toronto Named The Most Diverse City In The World By BBC Radio

That's by BBC in London.

More languages are spoken in Toronto than any place in the world as well.

First, do not believe the BBC which likes to crap on anything British. Second, other sources disagree with your claims.

This one says over 140 languages in Toronto but over 200 in London:

The 10 Most Multicultural Cities in the World

This source claims over 300 dialects in London and only 140 in Toronto (their list is in no particular order, so don't read anything into Toronto appearing first:

11 Diverse Melting Pot Cities Around the World

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Everyone loves a good team, and this year people noticed the Leafs aren't a flash in the pan. Ive seen more minority fans than ever working downtown.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Its inevitable the Raps will overtake the Leafs in popularity -in the GTA. The social and economic factors are heavily moving towards basketball. In 20 years don't be surprised if TFC is #1. Part of attracting young fans is getting them to play and/or participate in the sport. Soccer and Basketball are dirt cheap compared to hockey.

Outside the GTA I think hockey will hold on much longer.

I'm not certain at this point if the Raps have overtaken the Jays for #2 in the city, they certainly haven't across Canada if you go by ratings, but it's close in T.O.

Everytime I see someone say this I have to laugh. I remember many years ago back in the Vince Carter days alot of Raps fans were saying the exact same thing that the diverse population of Toronto will embrace basketball and the Raptors will be the number one team in Toronto over the Leafs eventually..............and a decade and a half later its STILL not even close to being that.

Sure the demographics that cheer for the Raps is more diverse, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a fair degree of diversity in Leafs fans too though. There seems to be plenty of asians as well as indians that are Leafs fans and as someone noted there's even a regular Punjabi broadcast on the OMNI channel for Saturday night games for the Leafs.

Also in terms of which fanbase is more passionate and dedicated all you have to do is look at the TV ratings and also how many people show up for the playoff games at Maple Leafs Square/Jurassic Park. MLS always seems to be packed for Leafs playoff games and even outside of the square there were plenty of people, while in the last couple of years the turnout for Raps games has been pretty sad where you could barely get even 3/4 of the square full.

Bottom line is that there are plenty of non-white people cheering for the Leafs and all it takes is one good playoff run to really get the city's population excited and behind them and in my opinion no matter how the population changes in Toronto in the future, the Leafs will ALWAYS be the number one team here regardless.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
First, do not believe the BBC which likes to crap on anything British. Second, other sources disagree with your claims.

This one says over 140 languages in Toronto but over 200 in London:

The 10 Most Multicultural Cities in the World

This source claims over 300 dialects in London and only 140 in Toronto (their list is in no particular order, so don't read anything into Toronto appearing first:

11 Diverse Melting Pot Cities Around the World
Ok you knock the BBC and then proceed to give me a lousy click-bait site with no credibility.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The political liberals tend to gravitate towards sychronized swimming and ringuette.

The Maple Leafs are far too strong at right wing for the liberals to enjoy.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think a bigger divide would be rural vs urban. Baseball can be a hard sport to really play when there's limited kids to make a game. Basketball really doesn't lend itself to non-paved surfaces. From going to a pond, river, one of many outdoor rinks, ball hockey, to people playing in organized outdoor and indoor leagues, it's exposure is a lot greater in the whole of Canada. Although I don't live in Toronto, I can't imagine it being a sport for everyone there.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
I have spent a lot of time in different parts of the country including time in Toronto. I feel as though the Jays and Raptors are kind of interchangeable when it comes to which team is 2 and 3 in Toronto. But outside of Toronto it really isn't even close. The Jays are far and away the more popular team. Basketball just hasn't really gotten that popular outside of the GTA yet. But if anyone thinks either team is close to taking over for the Leafs they are crazy. The Jays benefit a lot from being the only team of the 3 playing all summer long. Meanwhile the Raptors have been better then the Leafs for a lot longer. There was a ton of apathetic fans of this team not even 2 years ago. Of course younger fans flocked to the Raptors. Give it another 3 years when the Leafs are contenders year in year out and have been for 5 years while the Raptors start falling off and the gap will only get bigger. The real order is Leafs----Jays--Raptors-TFC.

Finally; a smart man that knows something.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I don't know about Toronto, but in Western Canada the Blue Jays are more popular and 1992, 1993 certainly plays a role in that. Though Raptors have been playing preseason games in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton for the past few years and the recent playoff success has helped them gain more attraction, especially in Vancouver since the Sonics left too. I'd say Blue Jays are just slightly ahead, but Raptors are right up there.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Are Leafs widely embraced by all demographics in Toronto?

No they are not.

Hockey is considered a white man's sport.
Things are changing now with the addition of Matthews, Marner & Nylander.
Many young new Torontonians are paying attention now.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
If you want to grow any game , broadcast in more languages .HNIC broadcasting in Punjabi is a great start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad