Are the Habs closer to being a contender or a bubble team?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Or a centerman. I think our center group is a bigger concern than our defense corps.

I disagree, Imo it's less of a problem because Suz is a bonafide future #1C, whereas, we don't have a #1D, nor a bonafide top pairing D. While Petry can be used there, it will be disastrous if used a whole season there. Him and Ed will have their hands full. Not saying our C line isn't a problem, but to me our defense is our biggest hurdle.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Wow so reading the comments on here for the past year we went from one of the strongest C depth in the league to one of the worst... from losing Danault?

I believe we're better positioned than 2,3 seasons ago. At that time Suzuki was a rookie, Kotkaniemi between AHL/NHL, and our only "legit" NHL center was Danault (and the Domi experiment). Sure, we lost Danault. But Suzuki is a much better player today and going forward. Kotkaniemi is a bona-fide NHL center - whether he ends up a 3C or 2C. Jake Evans is another guy who should be a bona-fide center at the NHL level (compared to euhm... Jordan Weal).

At D we have solidified as well. Weber gone is gonna hurt, but I still much prefer our D now than 2-3 seasons ago. We don't need to play Mete, Kulak, Rielly full time anymore.

Winger depth... what can be said? Lehkonen, Armia and Byron went from rotating in the top 6 to rotating on the 4th line. Wings are the easiest to acquire and I'm glad we fixed that.

All in all, we had a disaster of a team 2-3 years ago, good for lottery picks. In a few years, the wings have been mostly fixed, center quality is still an issue, but depth is fixed. Defense quality is still an issue but at least each defenseman is an NHL caliber one.

My prediction: We're too good to fight for the lottery, but not enough to compete with the playoff-bound teams. We're gonna end up 10-11th in the Eastern conference as a whole - around 18-21 in the league

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I disagree, Imo it's less of a problem because Suz is a bonafide future #1C, whereas, we don't have a #1D, nor a bonafide top pairing D. While Petry can be used there, it will be disastrous if used a whole season there. Him and Ed will have their hands full. Not saying our C line isn't a problem, but to me our defense is our biggest hurdle.
That's one way to look at it.

Another way is that Suzuki is possibly the only center slotted in his proper level. KK is not yet - don't know if he'll ever be - a 2nd line center. Evans is not a 3rd line center - not yet anyway and we have scraps coming off the bench to play in that 4th spot. I don't care how great our wingers are that center corps is going to fall flat on their faces. I can even see Suzuki having a setback because the other centers are playing above their stations and opponents will focus on Nick..

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wow so reading the comments on here for the past year we went from one of the strongest C depth in the league to one of the worst... from losing Danault?

I believe we're better positioned than 2,3 seasons ago. At that time Suzuki was a rookie, Kotkaniemi between AHL/NHL, and our only "legit" NHL center was Danault (and the Domi experiment). Sure, we lost Danault. But Suzuki is a much better player today and going forward. Kotkaniemi is a bona-fide NHL center - whether he ends up a 3C or 2C. Jake Evans is another guy who should be a bona-fide center at the NHL level (compared to euhm... Jordan Weal).

At D we have solidified as well. Weber gone is gonna hurt, but I still much prefer our D now than 2-3 seasons ago. We don't need to play Mete, Kulak, Rielly full time anymore.

Winger depth... what can be said? Lehkonen, Armia and Byron went from rotating in the top 6 to rotating on the 4th line. Wings are the easiest to acquire and I'm glad we fixed that.

All in all, we had a disaster of a team 2-3 years ago, good for lottery picks. In a few years, the wings have been mostly fixed, center quality is still an issue, but depth is fixed. Defense quality is still an issue but at least each defenseman is an NHL caliber one.

My prediction: We're too good to fight for the lottery, but not enough to compete with the playoff-bound teams. We're gonna end up 10-11th in the Eastern conference as a whole - around 18-21 in the league

I dont think anyone said the habs were deep at center last year relative to other teams. What we were saying is that it's the best the habs have looked at the C position for at least a few years and trending positively.

No matter what we think of Phil, the void is there becuase he ate alot of minutes, and while the offense wasn't quite as good as you would want, he ate those minutes reliably.

They could bite the bullet and move on, but judging by their activity this summer, that's not something they are prepared to do.

You don't get veterans like hoffman and Savard if you're just prepared to bite the bullet. They have to be working on something.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Price will have to get back to being a dominant regular season goalie for them to make the playoffs in a very tough Atlantic division.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Bubble, the fact they played in the North division helped them a bit even if they finished last in the playoffs spot. We are a bubble team for sure

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Realistically, #1 and #15-16 can be excluded. Everything else make sense. Injuries plays such a factor that we can't predict this stuff accurately at all.

Keeping that in mind, if you choose to see them #14 instead of #2 (which are both as likely) just depends on the type of personality you have.

Anyway, we are winning the cup so who cares where we finish...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think they've proven they can compete come playoffs. I don't think we should dismiss that. They were fantastic last year. Yes - Price 100% saved them vs Toronto (otherwise we'd have been swept 6-0 in first 6 games) - but after round 1 it was a whole team effort, not just Price.

if come October NHL were to announce "screw regular seasons, this year we're doing playoffs only" - I'd say I like our chances. Which is so rare. Usually a ton of teams is the exact opposite, you have faith for them to do well during the season (ie Toronto) but not playoffs.

I do agree it will be hard for us to make the playoffs. I think we do make the playoffs - maybe we even have a great season and end up top 3 in division, but more likely we struggle and barely make it as a wildcard.

So to answer the question - a bit of both? A bubble team in the sense that it's 50/50 we make the playoffs (I say we do). A contender in the sense that if playoffs started today (or, 4 months from now when Price is healthy) - I'd say we're definitely a top 10 team likely to win, possibly even top 5.

jjmathews202

Jul 21, 2015
I think they've proven they can compete come playoffs. I don't think we should dismiss that. They were fantastic last year. Yes - Price 100% saved them vs Toronto (otherwise we'd have been swept 6-0 in first 6 games) - but after round 1 it was a whole team effort, not just Price.

if come October NHL were to announce "screw regular seasons, this year we're doing playoffs only" - I'd say I like our chances. Which is so rare. Usually a ton of teams is the exact opposite, you have faith for them to do well during the season (ie Toronto) but not playoffs.

I do agree it will be hard for us to make the playoffs. I think we do make the playoffs - maybe we even have a great season and end up top 3 in division, but more likely we struggle and barely make it as a wildcard.

So to answer the question - a bit of both? A bubble team in the sense that it's 50/50 we make the playoffs (I say we do). A contender in the sense that if playoffs started today (or, 4 months from now when Price is healthy) - I'd say we're definitely a top 10 team likely to win, possibly even top 5.

I agree. It does seem like this team is really well built for the playoffs. I like our forward core a lot coming into this season. I do think we've taken a step back overall (specifically the D / losing weber) and there is a lot of magic that needs recreating somehow. But this is a team built for the playoffs for sure. Let's hope that Dom Ducharme can get the most out of the team during the reg season - the Atlantic is a brutal division these days. Just only a few years ago it was the laughing stock of the league, but that's completely changed now haha.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I expect that the Habs will be substantially weaker this year, in part because of the loss of Danault, Weber, and the injuries, but also because the division will be stronger.

I don't mind a tanking season, but I just hope they handle it well: Let the younger players play. I don't want to see a repeat of 2019.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Been an entire failed tanking decade for me with 2 hot goalie runs maybe 3… Mostly I can’t stop cheering and watching but seeing all those skilled forwards all over the nhl this « spring » exposed just how much I am bored with grinding-underdog hope-for-a-turnover hockey. I see them out of the playoffs. I’ll be watching hoping someone can hit those winger with a pass once in a while.
And if they make it in the playoffs well they still have #31.

Reactions: MasterD and the

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
5 Atlantic teams made the playoffs last season so it will be a tough fight and not just for Montreal.

Let's not forget the Habs were on a decent point pace last season until they had to go through that final sprint of 25 games in 40 days with all kinds of injuries piling up simultaneously. 10-13-2 record.

Last season they were on a 86 point pace which would not be good enough but there's also relatively easy ways they can improve that. If the Habs can improve the PP with Hoffman that should help pick up some points. They also need to figure out a way to be better in 3v3 also where their 1W-10L record or whatever cost them standing too. So is it impossible for them to pick up 10-15 points? I don't think so.

A better result would be to put 50% of that W - L record in the W column before OT ever happens.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Been an entire failed tanking decade for me with 2 hot goalie runs maybe 3… Mostly I can’t stop cheering and watching but seeing all those skilled forwards all over the nhl this « spring » exposed just how much I am bored with grinding-underdog hope-for-a-turnover hockey. I see them out of the playoffs. I’ll be watching hoping someone can hit those winger with a pass once in a while.
And if they make it in the playoffs well they still have #31.
Losing Markov hurt so badly....he hit Max with more breakaway passes in one week, than we have seen in the past 4 seasons....

Reactions: Naslundforever

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
way closer to contender. holes on the team yes, but lots of talent, especially at forward.
Of course , becoming a contender , we need more more C and the young guys development curve to continue

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Gallagher and Evans are very serious concerns for me because of the bone crushing brain mushing checks they’ve taken over the past couple of seasons. Gallagher’s style was already going to take a toll on his body and the fact that he’s getting creamed more often just speeds up his demise IMO. Evans also tends to get blasted more often than most and obviously shithead’s run at him didn’t help. I hope Gallagher can bounce back… again. But there is no denying he looked like toast in the playoffs.

Reactions: shanewalsh

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Gallagher and Evans are very serious concerns for me because of the bone crushing brain mushing checks they’ve taken over the past couple of seasons. Gallagher’s style was already going to take a toll on his body and the fact that he’s getting creamed more often just speeds up his demise IMO. Evans also tends to get blasted more often than most and obviously shithead’s run at him didn’t help. I hope Gallagher can bounce back… again. But there is no denying he looked like toast in the playoffs.

I hear ya but gallagher isn’t a guy that’s going to go down quietly. He was playing with a torn groin and a f***ed hand. He will be fine. I’m expecting a slow start maybe due to having to rest a little more during this off season. But he will get it going. I heard he’s in a full body cast but expected to be there for training camp lol

OhioHabsFan01

Oct 13, 2015
I think in today's NHL, you can be a top three team one week, and a few weeks later, with a losing streak, you can be fighting for the 8th seed. I am not too worried about losing Denault. I think he is a very good defensive player, but I also think the system in place helped him have success too. We will be slightly weaker without him defensively, but you lose literally nothing with him offensively. Weber was a great captain, but his best days are long behind him. I don't think losing him will effect much either. With the additions they made, I think the Habs will be just fine. The key to me is how much improvement we see from Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Caufield, and Romanov. You can even throw Evans in there as well. The young core's progression will determine how far this team can go.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Borderline playoff team like 28 others teams. In fact. There is only one powerhouse in Tampa and they gonna be worse this year and there is 2/3 really bad team (arizona/detroit). The rest of the league. U roll the dice and as GM and you hope your team gonna stay healthy. Because every team can make playoff. Whats helps montreal right now is our core are at the beginning of their prime and they cost nothing. The moment romanov, suzuki etc are gonna be more paid. Its gonna be harder for management and Team like detroit/anaheim gonna be better cause they had tanking previously

Reactions: aresknights

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Who are you people?! All the pieces we need are in place, it is with mathematic certainty that our team will prevail over any other! Cup#25!

Reactions: holy

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Borderline playoff team like 28 others teams. In fact. There is only one powerhouse in Tampa and they gonna be worse this year and there is 2/3 really bad team (arizona/detroit). The rest of the league. U roll the dice and as GM and you hope your team gonna stay healthy. Because every team can make playoff. Whats helps montreal right now is our core are at the beginning of their prime and they cost nothing. The moment romanov, suzuki etc are gonna be more paid. Its gonna be harder for management and Team like detroit/anaheim gonna be better cause they had tanking previously

One of the most ridiculous thing i've read here. There's a couple of teams almost sure to miss outside of a miracle and couple of teams almost sure to not miss. West gonna be weak and it will stir things up a bit but saying 28 games have a realistic chance to make it is just ridiculous.

Reactions: the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad