Are the Habs closer to being a contender or a bubble team?

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
My problem with this draft as usual is that we will be unlikely to be picking anywhere close to the top6; and since the dropoff is usually signiificant after the 1st tier.

So unless we find a way to successfully tank, I'm not as excited about this draft as most people are; strangely as it may sound.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My problem with this draft as usual is that we will be unlikely to be picking anywhere close to the top6; and since the dropoff is usually signiificant after the 1st tier.

So unless we find a way to successfully tank, I'm not as excited about this draft as most people are; strangely as it may sound.

We will be in the draft lottery - how good our odds are and how lucky we are, is another thing entirely.

Reactions: Anardil

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
We will be in the draft lottery - how good our odds are and how lucky we are, is another thing entirely.
There's always a chance we go on a hot run at the end and ends up drafting 17th knowing Bargain Bin; which I sincerely hope doesn't happen for our sake.

JohnBombJovi

Aug 2, 2021
I've been a long time lurker and finally signed up so please take it easy on me. Seeing as the Habs went on a crazy run to make the finals, do people believe they are that good or was it lightning in a bottle? I like the addition of Hoffman cause he nets an easy 25 goals but as a whole I still think Montreal is in a learning faze.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Until they address the slow defense, they'll be a bubble team. I know they had a lot of success in the playoffs, but I don't think it can be replicated again with how slow they were on the back end.

JohnBombJovi

Aug 2, 2021
Yeah I thought of this seeing as how Calgary, Edmonton, to a lesser extant Ottawa(making it to the east finals) all thought they where a player away and then crashed and burned the next season. I think Bergevin actually sees it too.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I’m not even sure they are a bubble team at this point. They have a lot of question marks.

Is Price going to be fully healthy?

How does the defence fare over a full regular season (especially as the NHL cracks down on cross checking penalties)?

Do players like Suzuki, Caufield, and Kotkaniemi continue to progress and can they take a big step forward?

This was a team, last season, that was built for the playoffs and did very well in a tighter checking game. They have not been very good over the last few regular seasons and I think they’ll have trouble this upcoming season competing for a playoff spot (unless the above question marks turn out well) let alone contending for a Cup.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If the kids play like they did last year i would say around 18th to 20th. If the kids improve they have a shot at making the playoffs as long as Toffoli and Anderson keep playing like they did last year. If the kids have a "sophomore slump" it could get ugly. So i'd say lot closer to the bubble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad