Are the Habs closer to being a contender or a bubble team?

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Their success rests on the shoulders of KK especially with Danault gone. No more sheltering. Time for management to give the kid the green light; +18 mins per game, pp, pk, play against Matthews, Bergeron, Crosby, etc. Time for KK to put on his big boy pants and be a dominant player. No more bambi legs and falling down after a simple crossover. This team will make or break for the next decade based on KKs performance. Curious to see how it unfolds

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
Were a lottery team this season. We have not improved our roster that would have ra led them out if the playoffs the last 2 years if bit for covid.

Savard is a downgrade on weber and weber was already a huge downgrade last 2 years

Caufield likely will have a much harder time in long season as he adjusts and teams adjust to him. If he breaks 20 goals that's a big win but would then only replace tatar

Will drouin be any better?

Will ok be able to replace danaukts minutes and production? If he does whis replacing kks production?

Were spinning our tires with thus roster as guys coming in are replacing guys coming out and core guysbkeft like petry and edmunson just getting older

Put me down for our pick being top 10 if we start the season with ni more major acquisitions

Hoffman I do see as upgrade to our depth

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
For us to be a contender we need most of our players to play at the level of their peak/potential. So it’s possible but doubtful

toffoli(2021 season) suzuki(70+ point) Caufield(30 goals)
Hoffman(30 goals) kotkaniemi (50+ points) Anderson (20+ goals)
Drouin (50+ points) evans(30 points) gallagher(30 goals)

if we can get a top 9 Center capable of 40+ points then our top 9 could have some serious depth and would provide our wingers a better chance at reaching these numbers and would give us some fallback if KK can’t take that next step

also price needs to be price all season

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Bubble because we just lost our 2D and 2C. If we had kept both and "added" Caufield for a full year plus progression of the young guns I'd say closer to contender.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've been a long time lurker and finally signed up so please take it easy on me. Seeing as the Habs went on a crazy run to make the finals, do people believe they are that good or was it lightning in a bottle? I like the addition of Hoffman cause he nets an easy 25 goals but as a whole I still think Montreal is in a learning faze.

welcome. I think it's too early to say as the rumors about Eichel tell me that no way does MB go into the season with Suzuki, KK, Evans/Poehling or anyone else currently under contract as our top 4 centers.

I also need to see what the plan is for Norlinder cause signing him makes no sense unless they at least think he can make the team.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
I've been a long time lurker and finally signed up so please take it easy on me. Seeing as the Habs went on a crazy run to make the finals, do people believe they are that good or was it lightning in a bottle? I like the addition of Hoffman cause he nets an easy 25 goals but as a whole I still think Montreal is in a learning faze.
I don't know maybe I'm too positive for message boards and I'm not the expert that others are for sure but I really like our team and I'm excited for next season. I think in any sport there are many unknowns going into a season, especially the more players you have. Projecting whether an NBA team with 3 superstars and decent role players will be a good team is a little easier than projecting a team that plays 12 forwards, 6 defenders, and a goalie.

I really like the youth on this team and I'm not sure more moves won't be made or one of our young defenders won't step up. I think the future is bright but again it may just be me being optimistic and ignorant. Lol.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Looking at who left and who came in, I'm not convinced we are on the same level as last year. I'd say we were still a bubble team last season, but thing clicked in the playoffs. On paper, I think the Habs regressed, but who would have guess the Canadiens would make it to the finals?!? - It still depends on the prospects and on what the team looks like by training camp or for season opener. Maybe Bergevin can work out a trade or 2, as it seems to be a thing he is usually good at, not always, but usually. lol

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
With Danault in the current lineup, a contender.

Without Danault in the current lineup, a bubble team.

Have to get a C before the season starts to contend.

Danault's not perfect, but worth the extra 500k in "overpayment" if we can't land a replacement

While he was great in the playoffs I don’t think Danault is the difference between competing with bubble teams like the Rangers/Flyers vs contending teams like the Lightning, especially over the course of an 82 game regular season.

The last two seasons the Habs finished 24th and 18th in the regular season with him in the lineup.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
VA
I may be too optimistic but I think we'll fight for the 3rd and 4th spot in the Atlantic with Boston and Toronto.

Suzuki will be close to PPG. Kotkaniemi will be entering his 4th season at only 21 and I believe he will finally have his first really good season. I expect Romanov to explode and impress us. I also like the depth this team has on all 4 lines. As stated before, Weber had a horrible season last year and I think we improved with Savard and a better Romanov. Price and Allen is a great duo as well.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
While he was great in the playoffs I don’t think Danault is the difference between competing with bubble teams like the Rangers/Flyers vs contending teams like the Lightning, especially over the course of an 82 game regular season.

The last two seasons the Habs finished 24th and 18th in the regular season with him in the lineup.
Danault is the difference from us losing 2-1 instead of 3-1. That’s about it.

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Were between bubble and bottom imo. Our defense is to slow and lack the breakout ability.Our center line is unproven. Suzuki has yet to play an 82 games season and looked exhausted at some point last season. Kk hasnt shown the offensive side of his game, caufield has 15 total games played. I expect a bottom 10 finish, especially if price doesn’t show. Playing in the east will be completely different than playing vancouver/edmonton/calgary/ottawa.

Reactions: GordonGraham

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It'll be a dog fight in the East, and they can't afford to start slow or go on losing streaks. I wouldn't sell the Sherman just yet.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
The east is very strong and a couple good teams won't make the playoffs. We're a bubble team, simply because we are young down the middle and our projected defense is weak at moving the puck. Obviously this can all change depending on moves made going forward.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Well with Hoffman replacing Tatar, we had/have a chance to be better than last year.

Also, we found an identity as a defensive team, with lehk and Byin having more prominent roles than Drouin and Tatar in the cup run.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
An average team that will have a difficult time making the playoffs.

No puck movers on D, huge holes at center and no blue chippers in Laval.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
It will depends on our young core. I have no doubts about Suzuki. But Caufield can hit a wall. If KK doesnt progress this year, its gonna be a lot concerning. I think his value right now is good on market value. But if he is not producing. His values will ho down quickly. Romanov. Needs to step up his game. I mean. This is a big year to know where are our young core. peohling can become a surprise imo. We don’t know. But there is a lot of pressure. If they are doing well. We are in playoff. If they slump. We are out

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It really depends on how much the group has grown since the playoff run. I feel like at some point they started learning how to win... if they can continue to grow from that then maybe they can be a playoff team again and continue to improve. Regardless I don't think they are very far away from being a perrenial playoff team.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad