Are the Flyers better than their record?

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Say we can be better then this years record shows. That would mean overtaking some of the teams that finished in front of us. But right now, I do not see how we can leapfrog Columbus (stacked forward group which just started to play to their potentioal), Florida (great D and goaltending, with a nice young forward goup and the legend himself) or Boston (slowing down, but still out of our reach). Ottawa overacheved this year, they could be a candidate. But right now, I can even see us finishing behind Carolina next year (even though i keep hyping up that team and always see them failing miserably).

In conclusion, yeah.. we could have done better, but not by much.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Being an average team in the shootout and on the PK would make the Flyers a playoff team. Being terrible at both is what killed them this year.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
We were carried by Mason having an awesome year... and JV breaking out.

So... no we were probably a bit worse than our record.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
We were carried by Mason having an awesome year... and JV breaking out.

So... no we were probably a bit worse than our record.

^^theres def. something to be said for that...

comparing Masons personal stats vs. the teams.. its dam clear Mason shouldered this team this season...

masons performance on a legit NHL team and hes a Vezina winner for sure...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think they are. The only question is how much better. I don't think they are a Cup contender, but I think they are better than some of the playoff teams in the East (Ottawa, Pitt, and probably even Detroit). They probably could have made the playoffs and lost in the first round, maybe if they got hot they could have upset someone.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Mason factor is interesting. Despite his stellar season, the team was still just 18-18-11 with him in nets.

I know one thing....this team was one of the least dynamic Flyer teams I can ever recall. The hockey was mind numbingly boring. They just didn't have enough high end talent and speed and they were pretty much soft to play against. Yeah they beat the better teams but how much of it was the other team just not being up for playing the Flyers?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
With this defense, the team is as bad their record indicates. Once this defense is blown up(Bye bye Luke Schenn, Grossmann, MacDonald) we could see improvements. I think Hextall is going to be very busy. Also our coach stinks. The players and defense most though didn't help him too much.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yes. I do.

If you just play Mason at normal levels (not play Emery), play MDZ, don't play Grossman, play CC, put MacDonald/Schenn/Schultz in the right TOI's. Don't play Rinaldo on the top line, like EVER.

I think this team definitely wins more games. There were A LOT of stupid coaching decisions.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
We win half of the games we lost in OT, and we are just outside the playoff picture... Add a few competent D-men while losing some of the dead weight, and add a coach whose best attribute is his utilization of line combos and minutes, we make the playoffs.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
5 on 5 they hung in and haven't been as bad with Berube although as noted they needed to score more....but the "responsible" and "disciplined" play 5 on 5 where they stay out of the box made for boring and soft hockey. Fine line between playing smartly on the edge...aggressive/involved vs passive or overly cautious. The latter lends itself to stunted offense. Hartnell (or what the 4th line showed but with more skill) when on his game was the kind player the Flyers needed more of ...grit but not his stupidity when he went into brain freeze mode. They just need more skill and a second line threat to keep teams more honest and to score more....obviously

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
They have to be better than their record. To not be, you would have to assume they miraculously overachieved on home ice and underachieved on the road. Further, so many individual are forced to play above their natural spot on D. This team on paper is better than the sum of it's parts.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Here are my fearless predictions for next season:

Can expect to (possibly) regress:
  • Voracek, Mason, Del Zotto, Schultz, Streit
Can expect to remain the same:
  • Giroux, Simmonds, Grossmann, Raffl, Bellemare, MacDonald, L Schenn, Lecavalier, Rinaldo
  • PP efficiency
Can expect to improve a bit:
  • B Schenn, Couturier, Umberger
  • Overall defense
  • Backup goaltending
  • 5-on-5 scoring
  • Shootouts
Can expect to improve a lot:
  • Read, Laughton
  • PK
  • Coaching / system
Unknowns
  • White (++), VandeVelde (+), Cousins (+), Gudas (0), D prospects (+), Manning (0)

Let me 'splain.

Regressers:
Voracek and Mason put up career bests, so my pessimist says they will not do as well as in 2014-15. I'm not saying they are going off a cliff; just not sustain the amazing numbers of this past season. Del Zotto played above expectations and I'm thinking he regresses somewhat (hopefully not NY Ranger like) if given an extension. Schultz was another plus this season and I'm thinking his production and overall play are a bit worse, if for no other reason than the fact that he's another year older. Streit had a great year points-wise, but was slowing as the season progressed; Father Time probably has Streit on speed-dial.

Stay the same:
Players like Giroux and Simmonds have shown consistency in their production and play, so I'm expecting the same greatness from them. Raffl I think has hit his stride and Bellemare should be what we saw this season. The D, Lecavalier and Rinaldo are what they are, though not in a good way.

Slight improvers:
I want to be so optimistic that the late-season surge from Couturier and B Schenn will point to a breakout season in 2015-16. I'll stay conservative, though I'm hoping the Flyers break camp with a second line (barring McDavid centring it, of course) of Read – Couturier – Schenn. Umberger should be better after healing from his surgery. Better but not good.

Even though it seems counterintuitive to expect an improvement in the overall D despite regression and status quo with all of the current roster, I am expecting at least one significant change in it. Out with Grossmann/L Schenn and in with Morin or Gostisbehere should improve overall mobility, and we all know without a shadow of a doubt that one (or both) of these D phenoms will be stalwarts on the top pairing before the end of the season. Right? Plus, the group as a whole should be more efficient with a new and improved system.

Backup goaltending should improve when they move on from Emery. I'm okay with Zepp, but I hope they will be looking for a younger, higher-potential backup to start challenging Mason for the starting spot. 5-on-5 scoring should be a product of the abovementioned system and overall D uptick.

Finally, shootouts. Can't go anywhere but up. Giroux was horrible and should bounce back. And if new blood like Cousins can bring some creativity, the team might not define the acronym SOL.

Big improvers:
A healthy Read can do much better, and Laughton will have that much more experience as well as health. The PK was a seasonal millstone; see new system. And coaching, 'nuff said.

Unknowns are intriguing and obviously depend on who is brought back. My scoring system is how much they would improve the team over this past season. I see White as the biggest potential contributor of the lot, given how good he was after missing most of the season. Gudas I think will be status neutral as a slow stay-at-home Dman, who will possibly replace Grossmann/L Schenn (if traded) in this regard but help because he gets paid less to do the same thing. I separated Manning from the top-tier defensive prospects for obvious reasons, and don't see him giving the squad an appreciable boost.

The biggest ? is if Morin or/and Gostisbehere (or others) could make their way into the line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad