Are the Flyers better than their record?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Sens fan coming in and saying yes. The Flyers are definitely a better team than their record suggests imo.

Get a new coach and fix your blueline and i guarantee you guys will be back in the playoffs next season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
reality can be a ***** sandwich sometimes :nod:

I don't think you understand how the hockey world calculates winning percentage. It's not just a couple people on this board trying to make the season look better, it's simply how it's done.

Points are what counts, not raw wins.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
I don't think you understand how the hockey world calculates winning percentage. It's not just a couple people on this board trying to make the season look better, it's simply how it's done.

82 games with a possible 2 points per game equals a max of 164 points. 84/164= .512 to apply some common core math

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
The D is what it is. And it's downright terrible. You might even be able to argue they were bad enough that the record should have been worse. But Mason played above his skill level imo. I think he catapulted himself, permanently, into a higher tier when he came here, but not this high.

With those two factors the record shouldn't be the least bit surprising.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
82 games with a possible 2 points per game equals a max of 164 points. 84/164= .512 to apply some common core math

33 times 2pts per win = 66 pts now add the "magical" 18 pts and you get to .500 ..... legit ??

the same magical pts every team "gets" :shakehead

about as legit as calling a team that was outscored by 19 goals a .500 hockey team :sarcasm:

Qyburn, help IS COMING, in the likes of Sanheim, Morin and Ghost.....gonna be fun to watch ;)

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly

Which is why I rarely pay attention if a someone says a team is over .500. This year 24/30 teams can claim that. Congrats everyone, our team is just outside the bottom 20% of the league.:sarcasm:

Frankly, I'd like to not see it used anymore as it's not really an accomplishment and quite commonplace. You have to go pre-lockout to have a season where less than 21 teams could say that they were .500 or better.

Or as an alternative, determine what .500 is differently. I'm sure someone has suggested this idea before. Since we know that 3 point games aren't rare, 82 points a year is only the median by technicality but not in reality, so average out points accrued by all teams then take that average. For instance if the rest of the games today don't go to OT the total points accrued by all teams would be 2760, and divide that by 30 for an average points total per team at 92 points. It would probably be a different number each year because you have different amounts of games past regulation each year. It's less than perfect, but IMHO it holds more weight than how .500 is calculated these days.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
33 times 2pts per win = 66 pts now add the "magical" 18 pts and you get to .500 ..... legit ??

about as legit as calling a team that was outscored by 19 goals a .500 hockey team :sarcasm:

Qyburn, help IS COMING, in the likes of Sanheim, Morin and Ghost.....gonna be fun to watch ;)

That's how the hockey world calculates winning percentage. I don't know why you object so strongly. It's simply how it's done. It's all about how many points you accumulate, and forcing OT gets you points. So, they factor in.

Washington, I believe, made the playoffs last year riding a wave of OT points.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Which is why I rarely pay attention if a someone says a team is over .500. This year 24/30 teams can claim that. Congrats everyone, our team is just outside the bottom 20% of the league.:sarcasm:

Frankly, I'd like to not see it used anymore as it's not really an accomplishment and quite commonplace. You have to go pre-lockout to have a season where less than 21 teams could say that they were .500 or better.

Or as an alternative, determine what .500 is differently. I'm sure someone has suggested this idea before. Since we know that 3 point games aren't rare, 82 points a year is only the median by technicality but not in reality, so average out points accrued by all teams then take that average. For instance if the rest of the games today don't go to OT the total points accrued by all teams would be 2760, and divide that by 30 for an average points total per team at 92 points. It would probably be a different number each year because you have different amounts of games past regulation each year. It's less than perfect, but IMHO it holds more weight than how .500 is calculated these days.

I think the real average is something like .510...so anything below that is below average.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
The D is what it is. And it's downright terrible. You might even be able to argue they were bad enough that the record should have been worse. But Mason played above his skill level imo. I think he catapulted himself, permanently, into a higher tier when he came here, but not this high.

With those two factors the record shouldn't be the least bit surprising.

I definitely feel bad for the guy this year. He played unbelievably.

LexSea

Queen of the Couch
Mar 31, 2014
Yes, they are better than their record, but not by a great deal. Berube is clueless and needs to go, but there really is no patching over how dismal this season's defensive unit was.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
NHL.com has.....

82 games played - 33 games in the win column :thumbd:

depressing

So you wouldn't be happy with a team that went 41-0-41 because that's .500?

Keep in mind that they would have 123 points and likely win the President's Trophy.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Sens fan coming in and saying yes. The Flyers are definitely a better team than their record suggests imo.

Get a new coach and fix your blueline and i guarantee you guys will be back in the playoffs next season.

well the blueline is in the early stages of being rebuilt. it's going to take some time however. hoping for a new coach but honestly have no idea if it will happen.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
I think our record is pretty accurate. Some very good forwards, some average, one more so terribad, dogs breakfast on D, great goalie a horror as a backup

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The record reflects exactly what they are; a bottom 1/3rd team in the league. And they might be there for another year or two, there are a lot of good solid teams in the East...

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
If we can find a way to not be completely pitiful away from Philly and not lose 18 games in overtime then we should have a much better chance at playoffs.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
the flyers won 33 times in 82 attempts..... NO ?:sarcasm:

let's not apply Common Core math here, huh ? :teach2:

Points percentage does not equal winning percentage. The media gets this incorrect all the time and, apparently you don't get it either.

you are what your records says it is.

This is the correct answer to the thread question.

Berube, PK, terrible defensive depth, injuries, whatever other "explanation" are all reasons why the record is what it is.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Nope. If anything, I'm really surprised they got this many wins. Basically home games, Mason and the PP are the only reasons they really won. Their 5v5 goals were 24th in the league and in the bottom 10 in the league in total for their offense. It's kind of a miracle they got this many wins.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Nope. If anything, I'm really surprised they got this many wins. Basically home games, Mason and the PP are the only reasons they really won. Their 5v5 goals were 24th in the league and in the bottom 10 in the league in total for their offense. It's kind of a miracle they got this many wins.

Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto were the only teams with fewer road wins. :laugh:
tough to win when your head coach is getting outcoached in just about every game and pretty much every road game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad