Are the Flyers better than their record?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
The narrative is that the Flyers are better than their record. Is that really true. Consider the following;

Flyers are better than the teams finishing behind them, such as Arizona, Edmonton, Carolina, Toronto, NJ, and Buffalo.

The teams that finished ahead of them it is much harder to make that case. Florida has been playing exceptionally well and has a good young roster, including a young #1 defensman. Columbus has been playing amazing and would have made the playoffs but for some injuries. You can go on team by team, but it is not obvious at all to me that the Flyers are superior to the teams that finished ahead of them in the standings.

I do not mean to be an apologist for Berube who is an awful coach. But I would argue that the Flyers are not better than Columbus and the other teams that finished ahead of them in the standings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We are clearly better than our record.

Factors that contribute to our record being worse than our team:

-Craig Berube
-Craig Berube
-Also, Craig Berube and Craig Berube
-The PK taking a nosedive
-Our historically poor performance in Shootouts, which isnt a measure of a teams quality
-Worst road record since 1990..which falls on Berubes inability to matchup properly

We shouldnt be contenders but we should be sniffing a playoff spot along with Ottawa.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I agree that Berube, the pk and shootouts have hurt us.

However, I am not confident that we are better than Columbus or Florida. We lack quality defenseman and our offense has been hurt by the JVR trade. Our record would be better without Berube, but are we better than Columbus and the other teams that finished ahead of us - I would say no.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Man their is good and bad regarding this team, nothing is average except their record.
Starting from the goalie. Mason, very good goalie, that's gets minor injuries.
Defense. Our prospects, High upside, a work in progress. Hexy won't bring them up to the big club till they are proven ready. And he will add quantity and quality to our nicely stocked shelves.
Forwards. After Laughton and cousins were,are brought up, a huge loss for the phantoms. So hexy signs a few guys, to strengthen the phantoms, build a stronger farm team first. The flyers need quantity and quality. We need more skill. And hexy will do this at the draft. He loves taking centers, and if they don't work out at center, then they get moved to wingers. But some of them will succeed at center. The more, the better.
Goaltending. After our stud mason, zepp seems like a pretty good back up. Stolarz, I have no idea how long he will take to become nhl ready. Goalies are unusual. At what age do they develop and hit their prime. They have ups and downs. In junior, the ahl and nhl. So just like with the LA kings, hexy will add more. We have enough guys that may or may not develop. He will add guys that have higher ceilings.
Now back to the big club. We are,were a top 5 team at home. Bottom 5 on the road. A top 5 pp team and bottom 5 pk team, below ave at es. A goalie that has top 5 sv%.
Some pieces are their. We need to shore up other areas. As do all other teams though.
A new coach is gonna have to figure out what works, what needs work and fix it. Which berube has yet to figure or do. So we have to choose, what is more important, berube keeping his job, well based on what he has done that is a huge mistake. Then factor in mason will likely ask for a trade next year if berube is back. I am biased. I love mason as our goalie, and do not love berube as our coach,
Just like a complex jigsaw puzzle, berube is the wrong guy to attempt to put this puzzle together, and a different coach needs to be more successful. When the last puzzle piece is placed, that means Stanley cup( s) for the cup hungry philly flyers.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
We have consistently beaten all the good teams and playoff teams in the league and have struggled in Away games and against terrible teams. We have a top 3 PP, a top 3 Goaltender (This year), 2 Top 10 players in points, a defensemen who is top 10 in points for defensemen. Yes, unquestionably we are a better team then our record shows.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
No. You either win or lose. Just because their defense is terrible, or their coach is bad, or they are "unlucky" (which is a load of crap). You are what your record is.

Dont like when people say "if we improve this" or "if we just had a top defender"... Well ya if we improved every single thing, we would be great. But we havent.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
change the coach, change the fortunes..

its that simple.

Berube has never earned nor shown he can keep the position they granted him..

plz for the luv of god bring in a REAL NHL HC this time...stop recycling old Flyers...FFS

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Our top 6 and goalie were good enough for that, at least.
I agree with you on Mason. To a degree, I think that you're off with the top six. On paper they're good but the way that they were utilized says not. Why did it take seventy games into the season for the Raffl-Giroux-Vorachek line to come together? Coutourier and Simmonds work but Read was hurt. Too much messing around with lines to find a way to make BSchenn a home. He isn't a top six LW.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Not enough to make a significant difference.

Without Craig, we are a playoff of team that is one and done again or with a decent matchup, two and done.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Curiously, the "new" standings make the team appear better than it actually was based on performance. If using the old win-loss-tie method, the Flyers would have been 25W 31L 26T. Examining more carefully, one of the elephants in the living room was the 3 shootout wins/11 shootout losses. [Team was also 5-7 in OT, as well.] However, lest anyone think that the squad was just a little bit of extra-time luck away from making the playoffs, consider that the Flyers goal-differential was -19.

This team would have to get better to be called "average."

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
NHL.com has.....

82 games played - 33 games in the win column :thumbd:

depressing
Extrapolating further, Philly had 25 wins-in-regulation in 82 games.

That means that when the took to the ice this year, they won in regulation 30% of the time (to the nearest whole number).

It's a selective charity that gives full credit to the overtime and shootout wins, but isolates the dozen-and-a-half overtime and shootout losses from the "over/under .500" equation as though they didn't happen.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
Extrapolating further, Philly had 25 wins-in-regulation in 82 games.

That means that when the took to the ice this year, they won in regulation 30% of the time (to the nearest whole number).

It's a selective charity that gives full credit to the overtime and shootout wins, but isolates the dozen-and-a-half overtime and shootout losses from the "over/under .500" equation as though they didn't happen.

reality can be a ***** sandwich sometimes :nod:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I agree with you on Mason. To a degree, I think that you're off with the top six. On paper they're good but the way that they were utilized says not. Why did it take seventy games into the season for the Raffl-Giroux-Vorachek line to come together? Coutourier and Simmonds work but Read was hurt. Too much messing around with lines to find a way to make BSchenn a home. He isn't a top six LW.

Well, I think that goes back to the coaching factor. The talent for a very solid top six is there, but it was all jerked around all year and had ice time reduced to maximize 4th line playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad