Are the Flames Overrated? (Warning: Post 75 & OP)

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
How has Gio looked so far? I haven't watch any flames games outside of our home opener.

He's looked pretty steady. The points will come for him when the forwards can/if start scoring, as he's still getting involved a lot and jumping into the play.

Flames won't win the Pacific or West this year, but the Pacific looks very weak, so they'll be in the mix for a top 3 spot. San Jose will get going here soon and Edmonton will have to play tougher competition eventually (they are winning the critical games they should), so we'll see how they handle those games and if the Flames can win against the "bottom" teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ararana

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Depends what you mean by over-rated. Last night's game was actually likely the best they've played this year - back-to-back on the road and they carried the play. They just couldn't finish.

I'd still expect them to make the playoffs. I don't think they'll finish top in the West again though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think Neal was the glue guy in the locker room last year. Even though he wasnt putting up points, he was an incredible leader and brought a ton of intangibles. Getting rid of him left a huge hole in the leadership group and they are just now learning to overcome that

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I think Neal was the glue guy in the locker room last year. Even though he wasnt putting up points, he was an incredible leader and brought a ton of intangibles. Getting rid of him left a huge hole in the leadership group and they are just now learning to overcome that

Is this a joke? He was a malcontent most of the year because he wasn't playing in the top 6. Neal isn't really a leadership type.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I don't think so. Nobody expects them to be world beaters.
They had a great season last year, but plenty of players had career bests. It happens to plenty of teams.
Still too early to tell how they end up, but they really started to rocket off after the ASG last year.

Maybe they regress to more middle of the pack, but still.. Nobody thinks they are a top 5 team in the league.

Reactions: Devonator

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is this a joke? He was a malcontent most of the year because he wasn't playing in the top 6. Neal isn't really a leadership type.

Hes always been extremely highly regarded as great leader. He was a main reason why the Predators made it to the cup finals, and the Vegas targeted him in the draft and made the cup finals the next year with him. Both teams wouldnt see the same success since him leaving. His leadership was a big reason why Calgary did so well last year.

Its gaslighting to say he isnt one of the best leaders in the game. Its pure Calgary media fiction to twist the knife in his back on the way out and try to claim hes not a great locker room guy. Edmonton media tried to do the same thing to Hall when he was traded and tried to claim he was a poor leader/locker room presence. Guys like Hall/Toews/Neal/Crosby/Thorton are cut from a different cloth when it comes to leadership

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Some reason I was never impressed with them even going into the playoffs last year despite their record and wasnt shocked they got bounced so early.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Some reason I was never impressed with them even going into the playoffs last year despite their record and wasnt shocked they got bounced so early.

if it wasn’t for Mike Smith they would have been badly swept. They had a target on their backs as a high seed going into the playoffs and still do. Teams are getting up for games against them and the Flames are struggling to match up so far.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I think it had to have been Mike Smith's calm and steady demeanor, his stoic and almost fatherly charm, commitment to team first and loving gentle encouragement that held that team together.

No, in the offseason the Flames moved out both the loving father figure, and the good natured yet motivated uncle figure who led the team not only in spirit but by on ice example, and are floundering like directionless teenagers in the absence.

Reactions: Aceboogie

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think it had to have been Mike Smith's calm and steady demeanor, his stoic and almost fatherly charm, commitment to team first and loving gentle encouragement that held that team together.

No, in the offseason the Flames moved out both the loving father figure, and the good natured yet motivated uncle figure who led the team not only in spirit but by on ice example, and are floundering like directionless teenagers in the absence.

Losing Smith and Neal is like having your father and wise older brother leave on a year long vacation. And then bringing in Lucic is like bringing in your lazy cousin to stay with you. Even grandfather Gio cant keep control of the rebellious teenagers as they start a fire in the kitchen

The value of intangibles can directly be seen here. Taking out two of the best leaders in the game has crippling impacts

Reactions: UnrefinedCrude

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Losing Smith and Neal is like having your father and wise older brother leave on a year long vacation. And then bringing in Lucic is like bringing in your lazy cousin to stay with you. Even grandfather Gio cant keep control of the rebellious teenagers as they start a fire in the kitchen
I think I saw Gaudreau and Monahan smoking cigarettes out behind the Saddledome, I swear that Lucic kid is a bad seed!

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Honestly, I don't think they were too bad against the Sharks.
But I suspect the real Bill Peters influence on the team is starting come out, and the moves for Lucic and Reider were just bad.

A backwards step this season, but pretty sure they make the playoffs. It depends on how strong Edmonton and the Ducks really are.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Guys like Hall/Toews/Neal/Crosby/Thorton are cut from a different cloth when it comes to leadership

giphy.gif

Should be a fun read after the new year :laugh: Seasons aren't made or lost in October despite what the Hot Takeologists would have you believe.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
giphy.gif

Should be a fun read after the new year :laugh: Seasons aren't made or lost in October despite what the Hot Takeologists would have you believe.

Seasons are made in the SCF. Where Neal has dragged his team to in 2 of the past 3 years

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seasons are made in the SCF. Where Neal has dragged his team to in 2 of the past 3 years

Strange those teams would let such a crucial piece go for literally nothing then. And then that he would be traded again for less than nothing.

Dragging them :facepalm: he had 12 goals in 42 games. Selling out the Real Deal Koolaid early in E-town

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Strange those teams would let such a crucial piece go for literally nothing then. And then that he would be traded again for less than nothing.

Dragging them :facepalm: he had 12 goals in 42 games. Selling out the Real Deal Koolaid early in E-town

Neal target and claimed in the expansion draft over multiple other great options. Signed a massive contract in Calgary Vegas couldn't afford to watch. Then robbed from Calgary from a foolish GM who doesnt value Messier level leadership

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Neal target and claimed in the expansion draft over multiple other great options. Signed a massive contract in Calgary Vegas couldn't afford to watch. Then robbed from Calgary from a foolish GM who doesnt value Messier level leadership

I truly hope this is satire and that you're not serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad