Speculation: Are the Devils making a big mistake holding onto Hall?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If they're in contention at the trade deadline they can still trade him... they'll know whether or not he is going to sign before that anyway.
Look back in history and give me an example of one negotiation that was executed this way. I'm sorry, but what you're saying right now is the rosiest outlook you could possibly have. Leaf fans said the same things about JVR and Gardiner.

Competitive teams don't trade away offensive drivers mid-season. It causes too much disruption.

Hall is New Jersey's Kawhi right now. Except instead of being on a highly competitive roster, he's on the team that won the draft lottery.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The Devils have a bright future, no question about it.

As for Hall... I am betting he gets dealt at the TDL to a team who can afford a rental and who wants to make a run. Some team who thinks they're close and a sniper like Hall puts them over the top.

Boston?

Anyway, should be a fun season ahead.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dam, devils are so unlucky for winning those draft lottos :(

Hughes and Hischier are going to hold us down for years... I say trade them both for guys like Ryder and Clowe.

Yikes you guys are sensitive.

I'm sure they'll be fine players in a few years, but Hughes is not going to be a major factor in the 2020 playoffs.

Would you agree that Hall-Subban-Hichier-Hughes is not a top-10 core in terms of 2019/20 performance?

It's not an "all in" group, the smart move is getting assets for your UFAs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
why are you posting a quote from before they traded for Subban and won the draft lottery?

those are some pretty ****ing big changes....

Because the sentiment is the same. Like I said, Parise said the same things and even a cup run wasn't enough for him. I just feel like Hall is going to pick his team next offseason, and his first goal will be a team who can make the playoffs every year. Devils are still young, and without being too much offensive, already had a miracle run his Hart season and fell back to a bottom end team. Hall says in his quote father time is undefeated, he knows his prime is closing and he doesn't have time to wait 3-5 years for the kids to start hitting their primes.

I mean you could've posted the quotes about him saying he loves NJ, the proximity to NYC, etc.

Every single player says this stuff. Not to say Hall is 100% leaving, but it's pretty damn rare for a player to come out and say he is going to try and win first and will leave to do that. It shows that despite everything, he has no true attachment to the Devils. I could pull up quotes from other big names a year out from their UFA status that look like that.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Obviously if they're comfortably in the playoffs this year they won't trade him, but if the Devils are fighting for a playoff spot at the deadline, I think they should trade him. The core of this team is 22 and under, and they lack a young #1 defenseman. Ty Smith has an outside chance of becoming that, but more likely a #2 or #3. Ideally they would address that if they have to trade Hall.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Obviously if they're comfortably in the playoffs this year they won't trade him, but if the Devils are fighting for a playoff spot at the deadline, I think they should trade him. The core of this team is 22 and under, and they lack a young #1 defenseman. Ty Smith has an outside chance of becoming that, but more likely a #2 or #3. Ideally they would address that if they have to trade Hall.

No one is trading a potential #1 D for a rental Hall is the point. Right now is likely the maximum value they will get, and every day that goes closer to his UFA status drops his value more and more. I'm not even sure they could get a potential #1 D for him right now to be honest. IMO, the best route would be to trade him for a package of more assets including draft picks and some top prospects, letting the team play it out a bit, and then flipping those assets for win now moves kind of like the Subban deal, but for players with a bit of term.

Or, if the team flounders again, simply draft top 5 again, plus some more draft picks, and you have the youngest talent pool in the league. Maybe the solution is 1 more tanking year to get that top DMAN in the draft and moving Hall allows that, while also giving them more depth?

So many options, but I just see this ending in disaster for the Devils.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Look back in history and give me an example of one negotiation that was executed this way. I'm sorry, but what you're saying right now is the rosiest outlook you could possibly have. Leaf fans said the same things about JVR and Gardiner.

Competitive teams don't trade away offensive drivers mid-season. It causes too much disruption.

Hall is New Jersey's Kawhi right now. Except instead of being on a highly competitive roster, he's on the team that won the draft lottery.

Agreed that’s a concern. Shero obviously has a better understanding of the situation than you or I do, so I’d imagine he weighs the risk.

From everything we have seen and heard from Hall, if he leaves the Devils it’s not for money or he doesn’t like the team/area. It would be to win. He has stated many times that he feels his best when he’s playing in a familiar situation. He does not like change. Aside from on ice familiarity, it seems like he is treated incredibly well by management and appreciates that he can have an open dialogue...especially with Shero and Hynes. It’s also pretty clear that the Devils are willing to open their checkbooks and within reason, give Hall what he wants.

That said, he’s played 5 playoff games in his career. If the Devils have a showing like that did last year, he’s pretty much gone and I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

But if the Devils are in playoff contention, I’d think that would help lend more comfort to Hall especially with the young core they have. If he’s as satisfied with the on ice product in the same way he’s led us to believe he is with off ice, it seems worth the risk to keep him at TDL.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No one is trading a potential #1 D for a rental Hall is the point. Right now is likely the maximum value they will get, and every day that goes closer to his UFA status drops his value more and more. I'm not even sure they could get a potential #1 D for him right now to be honest. IMO, the best route would be to trade him for a package of more assets including draft picks and some top prospects, letting the team play it out a bit, and then flipping those assets for win now moves kind of like the Subban deal, but for players with a bit of term.

Or, if the team flounders again, simply draft top 5 again, plus some more draft picks, and you have the youngest talent pool in the league. Maybe the solution is 1 more tanking year to get that top DMAN in the draft and moving Hall allows that, while also giving them more depth?

So many options, but I just see this ending in disaster for the Devils.

I had to dig really deep for the most recent example.... all the way to 5 months ago when Vegas traded Brannstrom + for Stone...

Reactions: HBK27 and Blackjack

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah, he NEVER said he was going to free agency.

“Ya, but you could imagine what it would be like if he did!?”

UnfitFemaleGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
looool what it's not even August yet, what the f***

make this thread if the trade deadline passes and the Devils are still hanging on to an unsigned Hall.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Is that even a top-10 core group in terms of today's performance? Elite winger, #1/2D coming off a bad year, a low end 1C, and a 170 pound prospect isn't exactly striking fear into anyone.

I can't believe I am actually defending the Devils and Hughes but... wut? What does Hughes being 170 at his draft have to do with anything? He won't be 170 to start the season, I can tell you that much.

The 1st overall pick, who is billed as a Elite #1 C, if he progresses should move that "low end 1C" in Hischier into the 2C role, thus giving you a stellar 1-2 punch at Center.

Provided they get half competent goaltending I think they will be a playoff team this year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I said they can, not that they will

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I can't believe I am actually defending the Devils and Hughes but... wut? What does Hughes being 170 at his draft have to do with anything? He won't be 170 to start the season, I can tell you that much.

The 1st overall pick, who is billed as a Elite #1 C, if he progresses should move that "low end 1C" in Hischier into the 2C role, thus giving you a stellar 1-2 punch at Center.

Provided they get half competent goaltending I think they will be a playoff team this year.

Hughes is not going to be an elite #1C in his first year lol. McDavid wasn't even an elite #1C in his first year and he's orders of magnitude more skilled and had 3 inches + 20 pounds on Hughes.

I'm not taking away from Hughes potential, I'm sure he'll be great in a few years. He is not a championship caliber 1C today, and neither is Hichier.

"Not a championship level 1C" is not an insult, relax.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hughes is not going to be an elite #1C in his first year lol. McDavid wasn't even an elite #1C in his first year and he's orders of magnitude more skilled and had 3 inches + 20 pounds on Hughes.

I'm not taking away from Hughes potential, I'm sure he'll be great in a few years. He is not a championship caliber 1C today, and neither is Hichier.

"Not a championship level 1C" is not an insult, relax.

I didn't say he is going to be an Elite #1C right now. I said he was billed as one - meaning that is his potential.

I'm not insulted. I'm a Rangers fan. I just think your assessment is so wildly off base that even a fan of their biggest rivals can see it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well what would they get for him right now? Nobody seems to be trading except cap dumps at the moment, many teams can't afford to sign their rfa's without adding a contract. Others might want Hall, but if it's only for a year then why move their futures for him? Teams wanting him won't really want to be moving core guys for him. They're better off trying to win with him, and trade him at the deadline if they aren't contending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad