Speculation: Are the Devils making a big mistake holding onto Hall?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If Hall wants out (which I don’t think is a good idea because NJ is an up and coming team) I would love him in Pittsburgh.

Hall extended (10.5m for 6 years)

For

Guentzel
Gudbranson (cap reasons)
2020 1st

Guentzel is a tremendous offensive player but I don’t think there’s any denying that Hall is a tier above Guentzel.

Guentzel and Hughes would be scary for many, many years.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Trade him if the return is good . If not , hang onto him to show the kids how hard it is to battle for a playoff spot . If they make the playoffs then great ! Shoes the kids experience of playoff hockey . Trade hall when you can get the return your happy with at a point that makes sense

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If Hall is leaving and wants to win he asks Shero to try and move him to a team like Colorado. Shero has to like the offer coming back. Hall wanted to see what would be done: They added Hughes, Subban, Simmonds, got younger still have $20M available. Most here think th eG situation started to shake out at end of seaosn last year, if so the panic is over. They have Smith being added to the D, and a couple kids who look like they will make the roster.
They could use a sniper up front and a top LHD. I think the sniper is a late summer move if we look at Sheros history. Once the RFAs and arbs shake out. For the D, Vats will slide to left or Shero will move him with 50% retention and other picks/prospects for a topish LHD. Shero is building for the long haul and trying to compete in the interim.
Hall could be named Capt this year, next year for sure! He wont be the leader on the Avs, but that might be ok too.
We are on the same path as Col but not as stacked for sure. Every player here talks about how good the org treats players. The kids in camp were impressed, the vet presence added (Boyle, Simmonds etc) to get the team's head straight.
Hall can be part of that or he can take his chances. I'd like him back but he will fetch a good haul if not!

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Yes they are. They should trade Hall and even trade Subban either at the TDL or next years draft. Build around Hughes, Hischier, Ty Smith, Blackwood, etc. Guys in that age range is where they should’ve building. Hall and Subban will be over the hill by the time their young core hits its prime.

You can’t have a team full of young players and rookies. You need veterans to take the big minutes and guide the young players. Getting PK was a great move for the Devils. Trading him would be stupid and a complete waste of time and assets.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In regards to the OP's question. Trading Hall for young future assets would likely extend their competitive window. So yes, I'd have to agree that holding onto him is an unnecessary risk considering there's a very good chance they could see him walk for nothing a year from now.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Unless Hall has a big dislike for the geographic region itself, I don't think NJ is doing anything wrong. Infact quite the opposite. They are trying their best to show Hall that their intention is to win now and giving him all the more reasons to re-sign with them. If NJ starts the season well and ends up making the playoffs, with potentially another TDL add to improve the team even more, there is a very good chance that Hall re-signs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Come home hall... come... home damn it!

You’re loaded on LW and probably can’t afford him anyway.

As for OP, with Subban and Hughes coming in the Devils will compete for a playoff spot this year. They’d be smart to hang onto Hall until they know they can’t keep him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The past few years have shown us something; stars are no longer scared to leave in UFA if they think there is a better fit for them. With this in mind, what we have from Hall is not very convincing he is considering staying.

"Hall wants Devils to upgrade roster heading into last year of contract"

Hall wants Devils to upgrade roster heading into last year of contract

""There is only so much patience you can have at this age," the 27-year-old said. "The League is getting younger and Father Time is undefeated. You only have so many years left, so for me to be done halfway with my career and to only have played five playoff games is disappointing."

Now, we saw this exact same thing happen with Parise a few years back, where they went out and tried to compete right away to keep him, even going deep that year (to the finals if I remember) and he still left. These comments are way more open than JT's or Panarin's were, showing he has no concern leaving if he doesn't see the fit.

Now look at some factors..

- Hall has the most value in the offseason. He will not return much by the TDL outside of a first round pick + prospect or so as any teams trading for him know he is due a massive raise in a few months time

- I feel like if they kept Hall, they would most likely hang onto him and try to make the playoffs. Now, I think the Devils can make the playoffs in a bounce back year, but I don't see them going very deep at all. Most likely scenario is watching him walk for nothing.

- Devils core is overwhelmingly young. You've got Hughes + Hischier as your core up front with Blackwood in net and some young defense on the team. Now IMO is not the time to go for it for them, now is the time to add a future piece to the defense by trading Hall.

So what do you guys think? I feel like this goes two ways for the Devils, Hall walks for nothing, or he gets massively overpaid to stay and becomes a terrible contract halfway through it. IMO, the Devils need to move him this offseason to have the most leverage going forward. As we saw the past few years, losing guy like Hall for nothing is a massive step back for the franchise. I'd rather that step back happened while my best young players were still new to the NHL than while they enter their statistical primes.
I mean you could've posted the quotes about him saying he loves NJ, the proximity to NYC, etc.
I think on Spittin' Chicklets he stated he was going to free agency, correct?
Yeah, he NEVER said he was going to free agency.

Reactions: SYWTom

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
In regards to the OP's question. Trading Hall for young future assets would likely extend their competitive window. So yes, I'd have to agree that holding onto him is an unnecessary risk considering there's a very good chance they could see him walk for nothing a year from now.

Shero will trade him before he lets him leave for nothing. This isn't Lou anymore letting guys walk for nothing. If he's not going to sign then at the TDL they'll take the best offer they can get.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Shero will trade him before he lets him leave for nothing. This isn't Lou anymore letting guys walk for nothing. If he's not going to sign then at the TDL they'll take the best offer they can get.
When? If the Devils put themselves in playoff contention early, trading him mid season wouldn't sit very well in the room. Hall at this point is a playoff rental for NJ heading into this season.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
When? If the Devils put themselves in playoff contention early, trading him mid season wouldn't sit very well in the room. Hall at this point is a playoff rental for NJ heading into this season.

If they're in contention at the trade deadline they can still trade him... they'll know whether or not he is going to sign before that anyway.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
No.

They want to win. While I don't think they have the horses to actually win a cup, with Hischier and Hughes still on ELC's, now might be as good of a time as any to try to vault back into contender status.

I think the bigger mistake would be trading him. Unlike fans, GM's don't want to be in a continuous rebuild. There has to be a time you go for it. Again, I don't personally think they can do it but with Subban, Hall, Hischier and Hughes as your key pieces, why the hell not? :dunno:

Is that even a top-10 core group in terms of today's performance? Elite winger, #1/2D coming off a bad year, a low end 1C, and a 170 pound prospect isn't exactly striking fear into anyone.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I look at this as a win/win situation for the Devils.

He stays, they have a legit 40/40 guy for the next 4+ years more assuming he stays healthy.

If hes traded, they get a good roster player, a 1st and a prospect from a team like Colorado that is added to the one two punch of Hughes and Hischier which will go a long ways towards fueling the jets for the Devils to keep their window of contention open.

Good place to be in for them if you ask m .

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

this^.

Regardless of how well NJ plays, beyond what we expect. Short of Devs winning a cup AND having basis to think they could go deep another coupla times [as opposed to '69 NY Mets which was just an aberration defying all logic and probability], Hall is gonna choose his relocation.

He may choose that to be based on best cup chance, based on likely line combo mates, or $. But he WILL dictate where he plays next season, he will not be told and settle.

Offers now vs offers later.
Potential injury diminished value vs showing how well he's playing [assumes a hot start]

These are not set variables, but factors in motion.
Shero will hold atm, but eventually deal. imo.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I feel they half-ass'd it this off season. Go big or go home, their roster is still full of holes that could be addressed with the cap space they have right now (especially with goal-tending), but could also use another dman and at least one of Dzingle/Ferland. I can still see Hall resigning and they can make the playoffs, but miss'd out on some opportunities.

If the Devils adding a #1 D, drafting a potential elite #1 C, and taking next to no risk signing a former 30 goal scorer to a 1 year contract is half ass-ing and offseason, then you need your head examined.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Is adding Simmonds in 2019 a plus? Im a fan of his, but his game is gone.

If his game is gone, it’s a 1 year contract. There’s literally no risk, only potential reward. The Devils are nowhere near the cap, so 5 aav is not an issue. If Simmonds rounds back into form it’s great. If he poops the bed, ohh well thanks for coming you’re gone next year anyway.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Is that even a top-10 core group in terms of today's performance? Elite winger, #1/2D coming off a bad year, a low end 1C, and a 170 pound prospect isn't exactly striking fear into anyone.
Dam, devils are so unlucky for winning those draft lottos :(

Hughes and Hischier are going to hold us down for years... I say trade them both for guys like Ryder and Clowe.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

For a 170 pound prospect that “isn’t exactly striking fear into anyone,” I’m pretty sure every single NHL team would love to have this unimposing prospect in their lineup this coming season.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I look at this as a win/win situation for the Devils.

He stays, they have a legit 40/40 guy for the next 4+ years more assuming he stays healthy.

If hes traded, they get a good roster player, a 1st and a prospect from a team like Colorado that is added to the one two punch of Hughes and Hischier which will go a long ways towards fueling the jets for the Devils to keep their window of contention open.

Good place to be in for them if you ask m .

Unless the 3rd scenario happens where he plays and doesn't make up his mind yet, but gets injured before the trade deadline and isn't traded, then hits free agency and goes elsewhere.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Dam, devils are so unlucky for winning those draft lottos :(

Hughes and Hischier are going to hold us down for years... I say trade them both for guys like Ryder and Clowe.
At least hold out for Halak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad