Speculation: Are the Devils making a big mistake holding onto Hall?

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Sure sounds like you’re spewing the same dribble everyone else has been over the same subject based on an article that doesn’t say anything he hasn’t already said in any interview previously. Solid grave dig though.
I think this article and quotes absolutely provides insight not previously on record before

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
If he is not willing to sign now or in season, he's walking. It's very uncommon for a player to stay if they aren't signed by January. I can only think of Karlsson with the Sharks and Kopitar with the Kings.

I don't think the Devils are far enough along to turn down the assets they would have received by trading Hall in the summer. Even if they do not need picks or prospects, the could use those assets to help them be in a position to take advantage of opportunities to add players with term.

If Hall doesn't want to sign in season, very little is likely to make a difference. Might as well stock up on the picks and prospects so that the next time there is a Gusev or Subban like opportunity, the Devils have the pieces they need to capitalize.
Skinner did it in Buffalo this summer too.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think it might be more of him wanting to test the market and get the absolute best contract possible as well as have the ability to pick where he plays, rather than anything regarding the Devils. From his comments over the past few seasons, it seems he was headed down this path. I do not think it means he will not stay with the Devils, but it seems like he wants to keep his options open.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think it might be more of him wanting to test the market and get the absolute best contract possible as well as have the ability to pick where he plays, rather than anything regarding the Devils. From his comments over the past few seasons, it seems he was headed down this path. I do not think it means he will not stay with the Devils, but it seems like he wants to keep his options open.
Then we should trade him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I’m not trying to be biased but realistically if he we to hit free agency, what team would have the cap space and be a “cup contender” right away? I think he’s fine in nj. They have a very promising future and management that clearly wants to win. Where else can he find all those check marks is my question?
Avs!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I really don't expect him to re-sign with us, at least not at a reasonable price. The dude has had 1 good season in the last 5 years and has missed 20% of his career due to injuries. I'm not about paying him double digits millions to miss 15-20 games a year and either be great or terrible.

We've got the depth to be able to trade him - let's send him back to Edmonton for Adam Larsson ;)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
NJ has looked very good in preseason and added a crap ton of talent since last year . I call BS on him wanting to wait to see if roster is improved .
He is wanting to get paid top $ and pick kid spot ( which I don’t blame him fir doing at all )
Just don’t spew the BS about wanting to see takent injected into the lineup ... just say you want to test the UFA market as it seems very clear that’s what he wants to do or he would have signed .

Hopefully it’s just Shero wanting to see how his knee is going to hold up . If it’s Hall that’s delaying ... trade him now while the devils can get the best return

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’m not trying to be biased but realistically if he we to hit free agency, what team would have the cap space and be a “cup contender” right away? I think he’s fine in nj. They have a very promising future and management that clearly wants to win. Where else can he find all those check marks is my question?

San Jose.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
They will have $19,500,000 with a 11-man roster next season before any kind of cap increase. You can easily fit Hall into that equation if the cap goes up.
Let's take the best case scenario: assume the cap goes up ~$3M, and that Hall signs for the minimum ($9.5M). That would mean San Jose would have $13M for 11 players. It's doable, but that's a pretty fine margin to be running, and that's the best case scenario.

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
Contending teams will be lining up for his services and will make room in their cap structure for a player of Hall's pedigree. There is so much more cap flexibility on July 1st and you're adding a former MVP without giving any assets. That's a no-brainer decision for contending teams.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Let's take the best case scenario: assume the cap goes up ~$3M, and that Hall signs for the minimum ($9.5M). That would mean San Jose would have $13M for 11 players. It's doable, but that's a pretty fine margin to be running, and that's the best case scenario.

It’s really not a big deal when all of your core players are locked up. The worst I could see is that it would force them to lose Dillon and one of Labanc or Simek but those things might happen regardless and those players would not be worth turning down Hall at $9.5M.

I am just saying, don’t sleep on SJ being in for Hall. They are big game hunters, and they have a proven track record of consistently being contenders. And they can fit him in without much trouble at all.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think his contract is pretty hard to speculate at this point. He had a great year two years ago, and he was injured last year. What kind of a year he has this year will have a bearing on what he gets. Hes still going to get paid, no doubt about it. But is it a 8aav, 9aav, 10aav, 11aav ? I think once you start getting over 8-9mil aav on a long term deal, its going to be very risky with his injury history. Not really sure what NJ should do here to be honest.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
For those who are saying that Hall has very limited options when talking about signing with a contender, we should all take a look at what Nashville did with Duchene. If you want to sign someone and that player want's to join that team, it'll happen.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He would be dumb to leave tbh. The Devils are one of those teams that I like to keep an eye on besides the Leafs. They've got some good young forwards, just got Subban and have decent veteran presence as well. I am a huge fan of Bratt. I have them pegged for the playoffs this year.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If adding Hughes and Subban isn’t improving the team I don’t know what is.

The Devils have done as he asked. They've made a bunch of upgrades to their team to make themselves better.
- They've added PK Subban, Wayne Simmonds and drafted Jack Hughes 1st overall.
- Nico Hischier and MacKenzie Blackwood a year older and presumably even better.
- The hope is that Pavel Zacha starts to round out into a top 9 forward.
This is an up-and-coming team that's added some good veterans. Why would they give up a chance at the playoffs for their young stars? This team has some high end potential and talent.

They'll just trade him at the deadline when they're way out of the playoff picture.

and these lists of upgrades don't even cite Gusev, who may outscore Hughes for a couple years

If talks are stalled mid-season, they will have many great offers before TDL, whether team is winning or not

Reactions: LarKing

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It’s really not a big deal when all of your core players are locked up. The worst I could see is that it would force them to lose Dillon and one of Labanc or Simek but those things might happen regardless and those players would not be worth turning down Hall at $9.5M.

I am just saying, don’t sleep on SJ being in for Hall. They are big game hunters, and they have a proven track record of consistently being contenders. And they can fit him in without much trouble at all.

God, I'll f***ing puke if he ends up in SJ. Would they resign JT if they got Hall?

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I really don't expect him to re-sign with us, at least not at a reasonable price. The dude has had 1 good season in the last 5 years and has missed 20% of his career due to injuries. I'm not about paying him double digits millions to miss 15-20 games a year and either be great or terrible.

We've got the depth to be able to trade him - let's send him back to Edmonton for Adam Larsson ;)
100% agree. It is amazing to me how posters talk about his MVP season like that is a normal year for him.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If he is not willing to sign now or in season, he's walking. It's very uncommon for a player to stay if they aren't signed by January. I can only think of Karlsson with the Sharks and Kopitar with the Kings.

I don't think the Devils are far enough along to turn down the assets they would have received by trading Hall in the summer. Even if they do not need picks or prospects, the could use those assets to help them be in a position to take advantage of opportunities to add players with term.

If Hall doesn't want to sign in season, very little is likely to make a difference. Might as well stock up on the picks and prospects so that the next time there is a Gusev or Subban like opportunity, the Devils have the pieces they need to capitalize.
I agree with much of your post. Just curious what type of package you think the Devils could have gotten for Hall if they had traded him in the summer? He has one year left on his contract and is coming off a season where he only played 33 games. I would think other GM's would prefer trading for him after they had seen him play regular season games this year.

Reactions: HBK27

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He would be dumb to leave tbh. The Devils are one of those teams that I like to keep an eye on besides the Leafs. They've got some good young forwards, just got Subban and have decent veteran presence as well. I am a huge fan of Bratt. I have them pegged for the playoffs this year.
He would be foolish to sign before they show him that they are a better team. It’s a chicken and egg situation here.

He wants them to show him they are a good team and they need a commitment from him to construct the team.

He’s been to the playoffs once in 10 years. He will be 28 when he hits ufa, turning 29 when next season begins.

Realistically he has on his new deal about 4 prime years left in him. So if he wants to be a major cog in a cup run he’ll need to land on a team that is ready to go once he signs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad