Proposal: Are the Blackhawks missing the chance for a rebrand?

Do you agree, it would be a good timing for a rebrand of the Chicago Blackhawks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nellie Fox

Jun 22, 2020
North Mankato, MN
This argument is as hilarious as ‘The Civil War was fought over states’ rights’. Maybe the hockey team was named for this regiment. Where did the regiment come up with the name? It is still at minimum an appropriation that is distasteful.
It was a division, not a regiment.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Likewise, the Seattle and Nashville team are not named nor bear logos for the indigenous roaming Kraken or Sabertooth tigers in the area.
Actually thats exactly where Nashville got their name from. They found Sabertooth remains when doing construction in the 70s. No they’re not roaming now, but they used to.

Why are they called the Nashville Predators?

Tennessee actually has a ton of caves which were probably pretty ideal for sabertooths. Theres even a music venue called the caverns thats literally in a cave, pretty sick.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Keep the name, the colors, the artistic style, just change the logo. Move unburdened into a new era.

I agree 100 percent. The team will still be as recognizable if everything stays exactly the same but the logos. Heck, you can't even see the logo on the red jerseys from afar to begin with. And the logo never matched the team color scheme either.

People will get used to it quicker than the vocal minority claim. Remember the outrage over helmet ads?

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Personally I feel when it comes to a logo and or name that borrows from our Indigenous Peoples it comes down to whether there is a respect and admiration for the representation or not. The Edmonton Eskimos was borderline and from what I heard the Inuit liked it. Our culture tends to over think the whole situation and takes broad strokes in throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Iconic names and logos are questioned and forced to bend to the political correctness that though having the right intention most of the time ends up losing something of value in the end for both peoples. The Blackhawks is an homage to a warrior chief who was from record an incredible human being. At least for this fan, who as a boy in the late sixties chose the Blackhawks due to the image that the Indian Head invoked the reason hasn't changed .. that beautiful way of life of the Native American and how they bravely stood true to their hearts and though in the end they lost they maintained their integrity and planted a truth into the records of the planet.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Not trying to be funny or mean, but do you have some color-related vision problem?
No, I do not have any vision problems. It's basically graphic design 101. Those jersey/logo color combinations would not be created in 2021. At least not as a primary jersey for a major league team.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No, I do not have any vision problems. It's basically graphic design 101. Those jersey/logo color combinations would not be created in 2021. At least not as a primary jersey for a major league team.

The Hawks jerseys have regular been considered among the best in the league for many, many years now. Just take the L and admit you were wrong, no harm in that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I agree 100 percent. The team will still be as recognizable if everything stays exactly the same but the logos. Heck, you can't even see the logo on the red jerseys from afar to begin with. And the logo never matched the team color scheme either.

People will get used to it quicker than the vocal minority claim. Remember the outrage over helmet ads?

... this post is... something.

And vocal minority? Wanting the Hawks logo to stay as it currently exists is not the opinion of a vocal minority. I'd say the vast majority of Hawks fans(and I'm sure many other fans) want the logo to stay as is. The vocal minority is the group calling for the Hawks to change it as they claim it's somehow cultural appropriation.

Imagine thinking the red jersey is "so close" to the color of the face of the indianhead that you can't see it... :facepalm:
thumb.aspx

If you're in graphic design, you may want to think about a career change.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

And vocal minority? Wanting the Hawks logo to stay as it currently exists is not the opinion of a vocal minority. I'd say the vast majority of Hawks fans(and I'm sure many other fans) want the logo to stay as is. The vocal minority is the group calling for the Hawks to change it as they claim it's somehow cultural appropriation.

Imagine thinking the red jersey is "so close" to the color of the face of the indianhead that you can't see it... :facepalm:
thumb.aspx

You didn't take what he's saying is the vocal minority right. He's saying people who think people will turn out the team because of a change are the vocal minority.

But to the color point, people for ages have talked of loving the white sweater more because it makes for logo pop more. What is said is just an extension of that.

Reactions: vegarover

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

thumb.aspx

Lol. Seriously. The entire purpose of the black border around the Indian head is to delineate the jersey color from the logo.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You didn't take what he's saying is the vocal minority right. He's saying people who think people will turn out the team because of a change are the vocal minority.

But to the color point, people for ages have talked of loving the white sweater more because it makes for logo pop more. What is said is just an extension of that.

To the first part, that's fair. I misread that when I skimmed through the post.

To the color point, I still don't think the logo doesn't "pop" on the red, and I don't think it's hard to see the logo from a distance. The red jersey with an indianhead is immediately recognizable for lots and lots of people...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just because something pops more on one color doesn't mean it blends in with another color. I've never personally heard people saying that the logo isn't distinguishable on the reds before at a distance, but different eyes, I guess.

Reactions: Pertti
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad