Proposal: Are the Blackhawks missing the chance for a rebrand?

Do you agree, it would be a good timing for a rebrand of the Chicago Blackhawks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If changes, will they (have to ) change their help for indians too.

They’re called Native Americans.

And yes, it would be the organization’ call as to whether to keep their CSR campaigns going or not.

I dont think they need to abandon their history entirely. Nobody’s looking to have the old jerseys rounded up and burned or banned from the building. Footage wouldnt be blurred out or anything. So long as the history exists and is acknowledged, there’s still a place for their initiatives.

They’ll almost certainly keep the name. They could have a Native artist craft the new logo using the official colors and general style of the current logo. There’s lots of options to move forward.

Reactions: JeffP

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Doesnt blackhawks refer to a regiment in ww1? They could keep the nsme and just get away from the indianhead if they wanted...

Nellie Fox

Jun 22, 2020
North Mankato, MN
Doesnt blackhawks refer to a regiment in ww1? They could keep the nsme and just get away from the indianhead if they wanted...
86th Infantry Division.
iu

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hey, the NHL only just allowed sponsored logos on jerseys. Give it time.

Fanatical soccer fans proudly brandish jerseys with sponsor logos front and center. This is the richest, most profitable sport in the world, with every bit as much history as hockry.

Because the little picture in the center really doesnt matter at the end of the day. Its the history of the team, not the cartoon figure or letter that matters. If a new cartoon in the same colors and style helps leave a dark period in the past, so be it. Nothing is erased, only evolved.

One of the biggest problem with hockey - as a sport, a culture, and a business - is that we focus on pointless minutea. We hold steadfast to ‘traditions’ about the dumbest shit, even when small changes would have massive positive benefit. Christ it took years for the morons in this sport to mandate helmets…and then even more years to mandate visors. But god forbid the Don Cherry’s of the world shit their Depends over it. So the league and teams in it cower rather than taking brave steps forward until absolutely forced.

The logo on the jersey was nothing more thsn a way for viewers to easily identify their team on shitty, low quality, black and white tv. Thats literally the only reason logos were added to jerseys, since the color was more than enough in person, pre-TV. Stop fetishizing and worshipping a marketing tactic, when changing it would simply be… another marketing tactic.
Whole lotta words to say nothing. Pointless minutiae? We're on a forum talking about sports. None of this matters.

Sports are stupid. All the fun is in the tribalism.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
...what? How many sports franchises, this league alone does that not apply to.

For birds there’s usually a connection that makes sense, e.g. the oriole is the Maryland state bird, the cardinals were named after the color of the uniform, the ravens are a nod to Edgar Allen Poe who was from Baltimore, the osprey is native to the northwest, etc.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
For birds there’s usually a connection that makes sense, e.g. the oriole is the Maryland state bird, the cardinals were named after the color of the uniform, the ravens are a nod to Edgar Allen Poe who was from Baltimore, the osprey is native to the northwest, etc.
Orioles are in MD and breed there like most of northern US...Osprey are distributed throughout the US. Yes.....I am a birder lol!

Blackhawksfirecoach

Oct 20, 2021
gonna have to change my name to Blackhawkschangelogo ,,

but in reality, the logo will almost certainly be dropped in the next decade or two, no matter how beautiful and iconic we consider it.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
but in reality, the logo will almost certainly be dropped in the next decade or two, no matter how beautiful and iconic we consider it.

I think there’s a chance this nonsense stops at some point. The logo just has to last another few years and people should realize how ridiculous of a debate that was.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I go back and forth on this. I love the logo, but I understand why it'd make some uncomfortable due to the use of Native American imagery. But now that this organization has arguably had it's most controversial moment in time, the logo is going to make people feel uncomfortable for entirely different reasons. Outside of going to a Hawks game, I don't know the next time I'll wear their merch outside, and that's a problem for their bottom line.

I think if there was ever a time to make the switch, it's now. Change the name to Black Hawks (a change that had already been put into place at one point in this team's history) and look for a vibrant, eye-popping black hawk logo to put on the front of jerseys.

A logo change isn't the end of the world. When I think of the Canucks, for example, I don't even know what their jersey is anymore. Is it the Orca or is it the hockey stick? I can never remember because it's not something I'm paying too much attention to. It'd be different for my team, I'm sure, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happened. Nor would it be the end of me watching the games.

Reactions: JaegerDice

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
This argument is as hilarious as ‘The Civil War was fought over states’ rights’. Maybe the hockey team was named for this regiment. Where did the regiment come up with the name? It is still at minimum an appropriation that is distasteful.
The unit was named after a real person. I don't see how the name is a distasteful appropriation, not defending the logo though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The black hawk (with a space) isn’t native to Chicago or any cold weather climate, and wouldn’t make sense.

Yes, because if there's one thing Pittsburgh is known for, it's the density of the Antarctic bird population.

I think you're putting way more importance on the cultural relevance of a team name than need be. The Red Wings, for example, were named as such because the owner at the time played for the Montreal Winged Wheelers, way back. That's it. That's literally the only reason one of the most iconic teams in hockey has the name it does.

Likewise, the Seattle and Nashville team are not named nor bear logos for the indigenous roaming Kraken or Sabertooth tigers in the area.

If the Blackhawks want to rename their team the Black Hawks and use the bird, nobody would bat an eye.

Also, we're all kind of forgetting why Blackhawk was named that. It was't like his mom or dad chose the first animal they say after he was born. Hawks have mythological and symbolic importance to the Native tribes that lived int he Midwest (and many others). I somehow doubt they just picked a random bird to bestow the honor. We may not associate them with the area, but clearly they're around and mean something to the people that inhabited the area before trees made way for skyscrapers.

Last edited:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Was the unit taking the name to assume the reputational prowess of the warrior? Appropriating it even?
1) How is that distasteful?
2) Isnt part of appropriation the act of ignoring the source of the thing being "appropriated"? In which case, wouldnt naming a military regiment after a respected leader be the opposite of appropriation and actually be an act of reverence?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Yes, because if there's one thing Pittsburgh is known for, it's the density of the Antarctic bird population.

I think you're putting way more importance on the cultural relevance of a team name than need be. The Red Wings, for example, were named as such because the owner at the time played for the Montreal Winged Wheelers, way back. That's it. That's literally the only reason one of the most iconic teams in hockey has the name it does.

Likewise, the Seattle and Nashville team are not named nor bear logos for the indigenous roaming Kraken or Sabertooth tigers in the area.

If the Blackhawks want to rename their team the Black Hawks and use the bird, nobody would bat an eye.

Also, we're all kind of forgetting why Blackhawk was named that. It was't like his mom or dad chose the first animal they say after he was born. Hawks have mythological and symbolic importance to the Native tribes that lived int he Midwest (and many others). I somehow doubt they just picked a random bird to bestow the honor. We may not associate them with the area, but clearly they're around and mean something to the people that inhabited the area before trees made way for skyscrapers.

They were called that because of their arena. But yeah, I think it’s a dumb name. Not sure how that helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad