Proposal: Are the Blackhawks missing the chance for a rebrand?

Do you agree, it would be a good timing for a rebrand of the Chicago Blackhawks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
It's been a year for the Chicago Blackhawks! Lots of negative press and shocking outcomes around the Beach-case. On the ice the team is struggling to win. It seems that the journey of transformation and refelction has just begun.

Lots of noice and lowered expectations might be a great chance for Chicago to rebrand their franchise. Especially since the logo controversy is not something which will go away but intensify over the next years. Eyes are on the organisation and pressure will be more.

As a European, I might not understand the complexity of the logo controversy (especially like the "honorable" story and design behind the Blackhawks logo). But also I am marketeer, I'd like to see the bigger picture and what's the best for the franchise.

So wouldn't it be now to work through all the dirt which came up recently, get some heads rollin and create a new chapter? Let's give the "Black Hawk" the last honorful task. He's the one who takes care of the dark chapter of the organisation because it doesn't stand for his "Blackhawk Division". As a leader, he stands up, burries the shame and retires in honor.

I'd be sad to see him go, but it would be a story to remember. Therefore, I see a chance to get this done smoothly and to build a story around it, which pays into the next brand.

I wonder what the fan base sentiment around a rebrand would be, that's why I post my thoughts here :) thx for the feedback.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
SMFH team doesn't need a rebrand.

Best logo in sports and their red jersey is one of if not the nicest jersey in sports. Biases aside. That red jersey is so clean cut. I've always been a fan of their black jerseys too when they wore them. :dunno:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Now, not at all. It would be after the court cases are done. If they do move on from their past in a couple years, then would be the time.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
No ...they are not missing a chance to re-brand...

The goal should be Restoring the good (former) reputation of the Blackhawks as an organization...

The Blackhawks history goes back further than 2010 and tge Beach mishandling g of what shoukd have been done then..

If you take 1 poorly handled situation in any
jorganization's history as a reason to re-brand you are realky just sweeping a bad memory back i to obscurity...

Rather you should be promoting the lessons learned from such a bad pr fiasco to show people it will never happen again...you move onand forward..

Plus tovre-brabd is an insult to alk the Blackhawks history and pkayers and staff who never before or after 20q0 had Nythibg to do with the poorly handled Beach complaint by those executives and staff involved with the Blackhawks then.

It us tge very same odea(a re-brand) to wipe out alk history and re-write it ...just like a calk to re-brand the United States because of slavery of blacks in its history .

So tear down all historical statues...Wipe names...even Presidents from history...change street names...forget actual history...sweep the whole thing...flag,constitution,national anthem =re-brand the organization (national state)and start from scratch ?

Are you kidding me?

The very idea is nuts!

No...you learn from history ..you try to do better in future..to re-store respect for your country or your "brand"...you do not wipe it out .

No logo change..No name change.
Just z vomuttment to do better mow and in future I'm handling sexual abise complaints by employees agaivst otger employees.

Did Germany re-brand because ofvtge Nazi periodvofvtgeir history?

Of course not..They are Germans...they did nit jettison their ethnicity,language,national anthem (which was in place before Naziism showed up in their history) ...they simply pledged never to let a twisted genocidal totalitarian regime ever taint their reputationever Gain...They committed to do better. THIS IS why nobody blames the generation f Germans after tge Nazi period for the sins of the ge elation who supported the Nazis.

You shoukd not re-brand history to attempt to wipe out bad memories....No...you simply pledge never to allow such bad decisions to ever occur again

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think it’s probably time yes. Make a clear, clean break with a tainted past.

Keep the name, the colors, the artistic style, just change the logo. Move unburdened into a new era.

At the end of the day, its a corporate logo. It means nothing beyond helping people identify what to pay for. Itd be like getting upset over General Electric changing their logo.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
imagine comparing a team logo to a corporation, ask players how they feel about the jersey they wear, its not going to be indifference

Reactions: Mrfenn92

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
imagine comparing a team logo to a corporation, ask players how they feel about the jersey they wear, its not going to be indifference

Sure, professional athletes would die for the jersey…til they reach free agency and get offered more money elsewhere, or ask for a trade. Because they know at the end of the day, it’s just trading one corporate logo for another.

Or do you think Duncan Keith whips himself several times before donning the Oilers jersey, in an act of sacrament for the IndianHead? That Brandon Saad cries every time he puts a Blues Jersey on? That Patrick Sharp vomited every time he donned a Stars jersey?

Its a corporate logo. The Blackhawks are very literally a corporation. The Indian Head is their logo. Yes, being in sports lets them splash the logo around to make money off of more than most industries outside fashion, but rest assured its a registered trademark of a corporation, not a historically protected piece of art or culture. Nobody cares beyond the the fact the cheques clear.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Not really. Nobody gives a damn what that logo looks like.

People don't wear General Electric jerseys.

Hey, the NHL only just allowed sponsored logos on jerseys. Give it time.

Fanatical soccer fans proudly brandish jerseys with sponsor logos front and center. This is the richest, most profitable sport in the world, with every bit as much history as hockry.

Because the little picture in the center really doesnt matter at the end of the day. Its the history of the team, not the cartoon figure or letter that matters. If a new cartoon in the same colors and style helps leave a dark period in the past, so be it. Nothing is erased, only evolved.

One of the biggest problem with hockey - as a sport, a culture, and a business - is that we focus on pointless minutea. We hold steadfast to ‘traditions’ about the dumbest shit, even when small changes would have massive positive benefit. Christ it took years for the morons in this sport to mandate helmets…and then even more years to mandate visors. But god forbid the Don Cherry’s of the world shit their Depends over it. So the league and teams in it cower rather than taking brave steps forward until absolutely forced.

The logo on the jersey was nothing more thsn a way for viewers to easily identify their team on shitty, low quality, black and white tv. Thats literally the only reason logos were added to jerseys, since the color was more than enough in person, pre-TV. Stop fetishizing and worshipping a marketing tactic, when changing it would simply be… another marketing tactic.

Last edited:

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
I think it’s probably time yes. Make a clear, clean break with a tainted past.

Keep the name, the colors, the artistic style, just change the logo. Move unburdened into a new era.

At the end of the day, its a corporate logo. It means nothing beyond helping people identify what to pay for. Itd be like getting upset over General Electric changing their logo.
If changes, will they (have to ) change their help for indians too.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Sure, professional athletes would die for the jersey…til they reach free agency and get offered more money elsewhere, or ask for a trade. Because they know at the end of the day, it’s just trading one corporate logo for another.

Or do you think Duncan Keith whips himself several times before donning the Oilers jersey, in an act of sacrament for the IndianHead? That Brandon Saad cries every time he puts a Blues Jersey on? That Patrick Sharp vomited every time he donned a Stars jersey?

Its a corporate logo. The Blackhawks are very literally a corporation. The Indian Head is their logo. Yes, being in sports lets them splash the logo around to make money off of more than most industries outside fashion, but rest assured its a registered trademark of a corporation, not a historically protected piece of art or culture. Nobody cares beyond the the fact the cheques clear.

He should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad