Are Sweeping Changes Coming ?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Also, Ed Willes in his latest article suggests there could be changes this year.

About time the media starts talking about it. It would also seem to confirm the musings when linden left/was forced out. Linden having consulted with many people came to the conclusion that they needed to truly rebuild for a couple of years and then build it back up. Ownership didn't like that and Linden underlings said the heavy lifting was indeed done and the team was on the way up. That's what playing meaningful games means. That they have a roster basically constructed and will be concentrating on the specific adds to go from playoff spot competitive to cup competitive. If the collapse continues it will be clear those underlings were wrong. I suspect ownership would have to do something if these final games continue to be ugly. They will have to.

But they will also need to change their expectations and not just fire or force people out because they don't like to hear the truth.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Our asset management has been horrible... overpaid guddy in acquiring and contract, same with Sutter, let Hamhuis walk, overpaid for Beagle, Schaller, and to some extent Roussel, and the list goes on.

On the positive side:

Juolevi and Hughes will improve the back end. Hutton has had a good year. Edler, Tanev and Stetcher round out the D nicely, with Biega and Pouliot as back up. If Tryamkin comes back we in fact look great.

Goaltending seems solid. As does C. We need a bounce back season from Boeser. But I think we are only 2 top 6 wingers away from being a very good team.

Not a JB fan, but I think we make the playoffs next year.

Seriously.

Reactions: Peen

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Our asset management has been horrible... overpaid guddy in acquiring and contract, same with Sutter, let Hamhuis walk, overpaid for Beagle, Schaller, and to some extent Roussel, and the list goes on.

On the positive side:

Juolevi and Hughes will improve the back end. Hutton has had a good year. Edler, Tanev and Stetcher round out the D nicely, with Biega and Pouliot as back up. If Tryamkin comes back we in fact look great.

Goaltending seems solid. As does C. We need a bounce back season from Boeser. But I think we are only 2 top 6 wingers away from being a very good team.

Seriously.
Expecting two rookies to make any kind of meaningful impact (especially when one hasn't even played one pro game yet) is expecting too much (especially considering the depth on this blueline - though at least neither one of them will have Guds as a defensive partner).

Not worried about the goaltending or up front but the D, man it could get ugly (again).

Reactions: DarrenX

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
About time the media starts talking about it. It would also seem to confirm the musings when linden left/was forced out. Linden having consulted with many people came to the conclusion that they needed to truly rebuild for a couple of years and then build it back up. Ownership didn't like that and Linden underlings said the heavy lifting was indeed done and the team was on the way up. That's what playing meaningful games means. That they have a roster basically constructed and will be concentrating on the specific adds to go from playoff spot competitive to cup competitive. If the collapse continues it will be clear those underlings were wrong. I suspect ownership would have to do something if these final games continue to be ugly. They will have to.

But they will also need to change their expectations and not just fire or force people out because they don't like to hear the truth.

Our only hope is that things continue to get ugly. We need more games like yesterday's game against Vegas to happen.

I guess the good news is the Canucks final 3 games of the season are against playoff teams. There's a chance they get smashed in all 3. That should leave a lingering bad taste in Aquilini's mouth.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Expecting two rookies to make any kind of meaningful impact (especially when one hasn't even played one pro game yet) is expecting too much (especially considering the depth on this blueline - though at least neither one of them will have Guds as a defensive partner).

Not worried about the goaltending or up front but the D, man it could get ugly (again).

I said “Juolevi and Hughes will improve the back end “ ... meaningful impact- probably not. But they won’t make it worse.

And I think Hughes to EP ...or Boeser... on the PP is going to be a joy.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

On the positive side:

Seriously.

You shouldn't be one to complain about asset management considering you preferred to re-sign a 33 year old Edler long-term over looking to trade him.

Juolevi won't move the needle on the back end.

And that defense you list looks like shit.

You realize Boeser is just slighly behind last year's point pace, and his goal total was always likely to regress as he wasn't going to maintain a 16% SH%.

This team does not make the playoffs next year. In fact, it's nowhere close.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
We may as well wait a year or two or three more, just to be sure of the results... because years are like months. Trying to put square pegs into round holes may work yet.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
You shouldn't be one to complain about asset management considering you preferred to re-sign a 33 year old Edler long-term over looking to trade him.

Juolevi won't move the needle on the back end.

And that defense you list looks like ****.

You realize Boeser is just slighly behind last year's point pace, and his goal total was always likely to regress as he wasn't going to maintain a 16% SH%.

This team does not make the playoffs next year. In fact, it's nowhere close.

I have not suggested long term for Edler... I want 2 years NMC for about $4 M per.

The rest, agree to disagree... we shall see.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I said “Juolevi and Hughes will improve the back end “ ... meaningful impact- probably not. But they won’t make it worse.

And I think Hughes to EP ...or Boeser... on the PP is going to be a joy.
Sure but what happens when Edler and/or Tanev are out their usual number of games a season? That's one (or both) rookies in the top four with the various 'flotsam & jetsam' Benning has acquired over the years as GM (with the exception of Stecher). Not a recipe for good development.

We'll score goals (especially with the improved PP with a legit offensive defenseman manning one of the points) but how well will they defend?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I have not suggested long term for Edler... I want 2 years NMC for about $4 M per.

The rest, agree to disagree... we shall see.

Oh okay, so you want Edler to sign a contract that he's not going to consider. Got it.

We can agree to disagree, sure, but don't be upset when I remind you that you were wrong next year when I'm proven right.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Dahlen's agent asked for a trade which is exactly what Benning said happened.

Benning:

“His agent asked me a couple weeks ago if we could move him and if we could trade him,” said Benning in his post-deadline presser. “I said if we can do a lateral move where we feel good about getting a player back that we like, we’ll look to do that, otherwise we weren’t going to do it.”

JP Barry:

"There was frustration on both sides. We had numerous discussions on how to improve the situation. More recently a possible move was discussed as an option."

I don't see any lies here. Dahlen was truthful in that he wasn't asking for a trade and Benning and JP Barry are truthful in that they had talked about a trade after they couldn't come to terms on fixing the issues between Dahlen and the team.

Jonathan Dahlen denies demanding trade, dials in on development

In the presser, Benning said the agent asked for a trade, at least according to the quote (watched the presser two times, maybe lost in the you knows I couldn't find it). In Sportsnet 650 interview, Benning said Dahlen himself asked for a trade. Dahlen said he didn't asked for anything. I see a lot of lies here.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
You'd think. Gillis was GM for 6 seasons, this is Benning's 5th season and he's about to miss the playoffs for the 4th straight season, he's once again failed at achieving his goal of playing meaningful games in march, least amount of points over the last 3 seasons.

For a sport that prides itself of being tough, off the playing field hockey is the softest sport of the bunch. What other business can you have results like that for half a decade and still be employed?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Oh okay, so you want Edler to sign a contract that he's not going to consider. Got it.

We can agree to disagree, sure, but don't be upset when I remind you that you were wrong next year when I'm proven right.

1- I am happy with any term $5.5 M deal. If he wants a NTC, make it limited, 5 teams of the Canucks choice, at about $4.5 M. If he is really looking for money,let him walk. I believe he wants to stay in Vancouver.

2 - You have been wrong, I have been wrong. Mention it all you want ... my feelings won’t be hurt. Hell, I enjoy your company.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sure but what happens when Edler and/or Tanev are out their usual number of games a season? That's one (or both) rookies in the top four with the various 'flotsam & jetsam' Benning has acquired over the years as GM (with the exception of Stecher). Not a recipe for good development.

We'll score goals (especially with the improved PP with a legit offensive defenseman manning one of the points) but how well will they defend?

I think that they really need Tryamkin back. And for Tanev and Edler to agree not to be injured at the same time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is the first time ever that there actually seems to be any real momentum building to get rid of Benning. Was hopeful Fredo wouldn’t renew his contract last year but there was no real pressure from anywhere.

I’m not a tank guy, but hopefully we lose our way out of the rest of the season to see this build into something a lot more.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This is the first time ever that there actually seems to be any real momentum building to get rid of Benning. Was hopeful Fredo wouldn’t renew his contract last year but there was no real pressure from anywhere.

I’m not a tank guy, but hopefully we lose our way out of the rest of the season to see this build into something a lot more.
I hate how much of it has to do with results of tiny sample sizes, like we're just throwing out 5 years of evidence.

Willes' speculation is based on the idea that changes might come if they collapse down the stretch. But what if they don't? Suddenly that means another Benning year is worthwhile? There appear to be a lot of really dumb people in hockey, so it's not surprising some think like this.

Secondly, the oft-repeated mantra "If he misses the playoffs next season, then he's gone." Again, why do 5 pitiful years get swept under the rug because the NHL draft system rewards incompetence? It just grants him the awful incentive to compromise everything for one year of middling achievement. Let's say he signs Simmonds and Myers to dumb contracts and the team squeaks in... now the team is ****ed in its contract structure for half a decade more, and Benning is also still your GM for accomplishing nothing.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Secondly, the oft-repeated mantra "If he misses the playoffs next season, then he's gone." Again, why do 5 pitiful years get swept under the rug because the NHL draft system rewards incompetence? It just grants him the awful incentive to compromise everything for one year of middling achievement. Let's say he signs Simmonds and Myers to dumb contracts and the team squeaks in... now the team is ****ed in its contract structure for half a decade more, and Benning is also still your GM for accomplishing nothing.

Yeah, I think that's the biggest fear for me. You just know Benning loves to build teams from free agency (just look at the history) and he'll throw stupid money at some 30+ free agent. If the Canucks are making a change, they have to make it before the draft/free agency. No doubt Benning will leave a scorched earth for the next GM.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hate how much of it has to do with results of tiny sample sizes, like we're just throwing out 5 years of evidence.

Willes' speculation is based on the idea that changes might come if they collapse down the stretch. But what if they don't? Suddenly that means another Benning year is worthwhile? There appear to be a lot of really dumb people in hockey, so it's not surprising some think like this.

Oh, absolutely. He should 100% have been fired last year and should have been getting torn to shreds here by media and fans for his godawful performance from Day 1.

But at this point I’ll take what I can get and this is progress.

_________

To me, this has always been like if Aquilini had hired his cat Mittens as GM, and nobody really seemed to bat an eye.

And then Mittens trades half the roster for catnip and fans and media are ‘Be patient, lets see how this turns out!’

And then Mittens allows his scouting staff to pick at top prospect with a high pick after plummeting to the bottom of the standings and fans and media are ‘Well, the whole catnip thing didn’t really turn out but look at that prospect! Man, can Mittens draft!’

And then Mittens spends a year sitting in the sun by a window and doesn’t trade for any catnip and everyone is ‘Hmmm, look how he’s learning and improving!’

And people are trying to rationalize moves made from an irrational situation where THE GM IS A f***ING CAT.

And it’s the same with Benning. It’s been comically evident to anyone with half a brain paying attention that this guy is just a complete moron who has no idea what he’s doing, no ability to evaluate talent, and no ability to implement and execute any sort of a plan. And not just a moron-relative-to-other GMs sort of moron, a real-world moron you wouldn’t trust with a cashout after a late shift at a 7-11. Someone who talks in a manner and with the content you’d expect of a child in grade 6.

And somehow after 5 years of total incompetence, we’re still debating whether Shinkaruk-Granlund was a good trade or whether some other GM might have made a worse move so might be the worst GM and not Benning. And not asking how the hell it came to be that this 80 IQ idiot has been destroying this team for 5 years.

It’s insanity and after 5 years I still can’t believe this has happened to my hockey team that I care about so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad