Are Sweeping Changes Coming ?

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
The hardest part of the rebuild is done? Really? The Canucks have a potential first-line center in Pettersson; a solid second line center in Horvat and a scoring winger in Boeser. But with Boeser, you're still not sure exactly what he'll become.

And the most positive development of this entire season might be the evolution of Markstom. So they have a goalie. But that's about it.

The blueline is still a disaster. Quinn Hughes might be part of the solution, but he can't play every shift. As far as wingers, after Boeser the scoring falls off a cliff. There might not a 20-goal scorer in the entire group. And based on what happened in Utica this year, there appears to be absolutely nothing in the pipeline.

Sorry, but after five seasons now, this 'rebuild' is nowhere near where it needs to be.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think the next part is easy, just that it’s easier to add pieces to what the Canucks look to have in Pettersson and Horvat as top centres than it is to get a franchise player in the first place.

Second, I completely agree on what’s happened in five years. Management has squandered a fair amount of good fortune by simultaneously committing to lighting large bags of money on fire for the next several years.

The blue line is bad. Good news! It’s also a lot less bad now. For example, it may not surprise you to know that Hutton-Gudbranson was a bad pairing. How bad may surprise:the difference in five on five goal differential between that pair and Edler-Tanev was larger than the on ice goal differential for all defensemen in the league not named Morgan Rielly (on a per minute basis, they were even worse). You could make a reasonable case that swapping Tanev for, say, Giordano would not have made as big a difference as simply scratching Gudbranson and going Hutton-Stecher and Pouliot-Biega.

Try to make some smart bets on players in tough spots (I really like Pilut in Buffalo who for some reason has fallen out of favour quickly), clear as much salary as possible by trading guys with term (like Beagle) for guys on horrid expiring deals (like Sobotka) or that are buyout candidates, and above all else, keep your powder dry in free agency. If you can’t sign Panarin or Karlsson, unplug the phone for the first week in July. Use your winger issues as a pitch for top Euro players looking to bet on themselves. And so on.

To my mind, all of this is easier than “draft Elias Pettersson”

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Man so I just listened to TSN's day of programming. It really is like they just decided to out the pedal down on hammering Benning.

1.) Botchford cornered simpleton Pratt. Even Mayenecht got in on it.
2.) Sekeres and Price lit into the Canucks and dropped softballs in front of Ferraro
3.) Halford and Brough pretty chill, just taking it all in.

The Toronto game and obvious comparison at the exact moment the Canucks literally freefall out of a playoff spot represents the perfect storm. Does Jim even survive until the end of the year? This is actually a pretty good time of year to can a GM and AGM even if you have no replacement.
It would be very surprising. I didn't think Benning would face any real heat until we missed the playoffs by a wide margin next year.

Anything earlier than that would be incredible. Especially before free agency.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
But your rebuild is to contend for a playoff spot not win a cup. To win a cup this roster has a long way to go.

The two are more similar than they are different and, done properly, building to compete for a cup builds upon building for the playoffs. There are no shortcuts. There’s an old quote attributed to Darcy Regier that you can find online and applies:

• Regier: "I once asked Al Arbour what’s the secret to building a team? He said no secret, it’s not complicated. Get good players.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad