Speculation: Are Sabres a worse team as of now, then last season?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Interesting how divided the fanbase is right now.

IMO we're going to be better 100%. Goaltending is almost sure to be better. Bottom 6 is way better. Defense is better. Depth is better. Top 6 took a big loss with ROR but hopefully guys like Mitts and Sheary can fill that offensive void and then some. There are lot of quality kids knocking on the door. We have added a lot of veteran pieces from winning organiations in Hutton, Berglund, Sheary, Hunwick, and Sobotka. That character in the locker room is the biggest improvement of all and should make a really big difference.

We now have close to a full lineup of NHL caliber players instead of such a top heavy team. It's going to be a fun season, I'm fully on board with what Botts is doing.

If Botts really wanted Sobotka and Berglund, he probably could have them both for a 3rd round pick.

How can you be on board with such stupidity?

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
The continued development of Eichel/Risto/Reinhart/Rodriguez also has to be factored in. As of right now the roster is better than last year, there's just no sensible argument to be made for last year's roster. That doesn't mean its a playoff roster though.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
If Botts really wanted Sobotka and Berglund, he probably could have them both for a 3rd round pick.

How can you be on board with such stupidity?
If sheary cost us a 3rd/4th and a cap dump when the pens couldnt fit him under the cap, what makes you think we get two proven bottom sixers for a 3rd from a team that doesn't need the space immediately?

All nonsense aside that doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If sheary cost us a 3rd/4th and a cap dump when the pens couldnt fit him under the cap, what makes you think we get two proven bottom sixers for a 3rd from a team that doesn't need the space immediately?

All nonsense aside that doesn't make sense to me.
Sheary is twice as productive and considerably younger.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm really hoping its better but the locker room will be rough if they continue to lose, I would imagine.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The continued development of Eichel/Risto/Reinhart/Rodriguez also has to be factored in. As of right now the roster is better than last year, there's just no sensible argument to be made for last year's roster. That doesn't mean its a playoff roster though.
I thought the same thing going into last season — and then we finished dead last. Dahlin alone is a game changer, but don’t underestimate Housley’s ability to coach this team into the ground.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I thought the same thing going into last season — and then we finished dead last. Dahlin alone is a game changer, but don’t underestimate Housley’s ability to coach this team into the ground.
Eichel was PPG once finally separated from Kane. Reinhart was fine second half of the season. Rodrigues rejuvenated the team when he came back and had a couple weeks to return to norm from the wrist injury. He was a complete breath of fresh air when he returned, and the team had scoring chances not generated just by Eichel.

Ristolainen is a different story. He got dogged and got lazy. It's hard to blame him though, considering he was taught this was acceptable during Bylsma years, and he had no winger who knew how to breakout to pass it to anyway. But he can rebound- those are mental things and he was young and naive then, thrusted into a #1 role with terrible partners.

Reactions: jc17

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

I thought that too haha, but let's see what Phil can do with Dahin and Guhle now on the back end. I think another year in Phil's system is going to allow the group from last year to be more comfortable with what they're being asked to do by the coaching staff. Housley won't have straight garbage in the bottom 6 as well, which should help.

If we're still sitting in the bottom 5 of the standings by the new year it's going to be time to let Phil go.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Slightly better. But probably not by much. Another year of development probably moves the needle a bit. A better bottom 6 keeps more pucks out of our net. Still need to score goals but the jury is out on how some of our prospects might produce this year. I feel a bit steadier about our D and bottom 6 this year, which was so porous that it certainly wasn't winning us any games last year.

Reactions: jc17

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
There are a lot of questions, and some of them aren't going to come out positive. It'll be interesting to see if the reshape on the room bears fruit. Or if better attitude from the goaltending leads to more engagement from the forwards at either end of the rink. Or how new players fit into the system, be they draftees or acquired elsewhere. Has the coaching staff improved and will they be better at deployment and usage? How does the powerplay adapt? Will the PK improve? Where will more 5-on-5 goals come from?

Nothing is certain and when so little is certain, the house of cards can easily come tumbling down.

So many questions, reminds me of another team full of questions that ultimately pulled through!

That's it! Housley needs to go full Lou Brown at the beginning of the year:

hqdefault.jpg

But instead of a life-size picture of Rachel Phelps, they should have a life sized picture of angry Lehner.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Sabres made the Cup where their top 5 scorers were Satan, Peca, Grosek, Brown, and Ward. This team has more depth and scoring than that team. (They're just missing the best goalie ever)

Reactions: Dingo44

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sabres made the Cup where their top 5 scorers were Satan, Peca, Grosek, Brown, and Ward. This team has more depth and scoring than that team. (They're just missing the best goalie ever)

And going from 03-04 to 05-06 we lost Satan, our 2nd highest scorer. We added Vanek, Pomminville, Numminen and Gaustad.

If we can suspend reality for a second: The three forward listed above added 102 points, or an average of 34 points which Sheary, Mittelstadt and a guy like Oloffson or Berglund could easily average. Dahlin can be numminen.

Both seasons we had 5 guys over 50 points. In 03-04 we had 5 guys over 40 points. In 05-06 we had 11 guys at 40 points or higher. Depth is important and a team can turn around without competely overhauling the top 6, and can even afford to lose a solid player.

OswegoSabresFan

Jan 7, 2018
'some of the bigger moves - not all'
Minus - Kane, ROR, Lehner
Plus - Sheary, Hunwick, Hutton, Wedewood, Tage, Subotka, Berglund
Draft - Dahlin

Just think we lost more talent (not Lehner) then we rec'd back. Dahlin looks great, but how much can we expect from him?

Another last place season? (Gawd I hope not)
The difference is this year we will have 13-14 forwards not 9-10 the best, that are NHL players. That is a huge difference. If Nylander, Baptiste, Oloffson, or Tompson workout, or they trade or sign a top 6 wing for Jack... No one misses ROR. Who will complain if they win 15 more games with a more competitive team. Not to mention how much better the d looks. They have a legit 8+ NHL ready defenceman. Even without Dahlin they are a capable group.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Sabres are better in every single aspect then last year. Goalies? Huge upgrade. Defense? Huge upgrade (even if you only add one dman, when it's a dman projected to be a Lidstrom/Potvin hall of famer you just made your D infinitely better).

As for up front we are way more deeper. RoR and Kane out. Mittelstadt, Sheary, Berglund, Sobotka, Thompson in. Last year we had 7 players with 10+ goals. One of them was dealt in season (Kane) and one left this summer in trade (RoR) and another wasn't re-signed Pouliot.

The good news is that we have far more players capable of double digit goals.

Eichel
Reinhart
Okposo
Mittelstadt
Sheary
Thompson
Berglund
Sobotka
Dahlin/Risto
Pominville
ERod

That's 10 forwards and a Rasmus that are all likely to score 10+ goals. Last year we had 6 40+ point scorers, and two were moved out. I believe the following will all score 40+ points.

Eichel
Reinhart
Okposo
Sheary
Mittelstadt
Pominville
Berglund
Dahlin
Ristolainen

Put it this way, we are not finishing DFL in goals for this year. The last 4 years Poms has been a 40-50+ point scorer every other year so according to that trend Poms will score 40-50+ this year :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, the Sabres are better top to bottom compared to last year. They added an elite dman who will help Risto tenfold.

I can't wait to see a Rasmus x2 pairing playing 26+ minutes a night for the next decade :nod:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
How the F is the Hall trade comparable to ROR trade? The comparable trade to ROR is Duchene leaving to OTT and the culture change alone made them better team, let alone the future pieces they obtained. It will be the same for us.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I am going to go out on a limb and say Botts trades a 1st for a top 6 winger. People will be surprised.

I'd prefer he traded a 1st for a legit top 4 D.

If that gets done I like this team's chances a lot more.

With the additions of Sheary/Sobotka/Berglund, hopefully the return to health of Okposo & some good young guys ready to make the jump I'm not concerned about the forward depth - despite losing a complete player in ROR.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
How the F is the Hall trade comparable to ROR trade? The comparable trade to ROR is Duchene leaving to OTT and the culture change alone made them better team, let alone the future pieces they obtained. It will be the same for us.
no it didn't Duchene was doing fine that year and Colorado had a good start WITH him on the roster and the value that they gave was so significant that Colorado couldn't of said no.

Reactions: sabrebuild

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
They should be at least 10-15 points better than last year. Then again, I don't have a lot of faith in the people running the team. I could see players like Hunwick, Beaulieu, and Pominville getting roster spots/ice time over better, younger options because "experience."

The only silver lining is the young core can line up with any in the league. Peter Chiarelli has a ring. Rutherford has made some awful moves in Pittsburgh. If you amasse enough high-end talent, at some point it can overcome bad management.

Reactions: sabrebuild

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
You have to add Mittelstadt to your pluses. He was on the roster for all of 6 games last year. So I'd say we'll run deeper and If Mittelstadt and Dahlin click right away and the locker room bs is gone, who knows. But,I'll sign up to see it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’ve seen this movie before where the Sabres got rid of a “leader” cancer, moved him for a lesser talented player who was better in the room, but past his prime, but provided a role for the team...

Only in that movie we had a good to decent goaltender with a meh talent up front and this one has a meh goaltender and good go great forward...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad