Speculation: Are Sabres a worse team as of now, then last season?

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
'some of the bigger moves - not all'
Minus - Kane, ROR, Lehner
Plus - Sheary, Hunwick, Hutton, Wedewood, Tage, Subotka, Berglund
Draft - Dahlin

Just think we lost more talent (not Lehner) then we rec'd back. Dahlin looks great, but how much can we expect from him?

Another last place season? (Gawd I hope not)

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
They are banking on rookies to come in and blow the doors off. If it happens, they could be a pretty good team. If it doesn’t, they’ll be just as bad as they were last year.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
They’ll make the playoffs

People here are defending a guy who was just happy to not make mistakes. And they had no depth behind that guy.

Now the team has depth and competition for every spot. And goalies who aren’t head cases. They’re miles better.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Like already said I love this iteration far more.

All the problems for the locker room are culled . Buh bye RoR, Lehner, Kane, Gorges and Moulson. I love how much turnover we have. Now this is tossing out the unneeded pieces. Ror was a cancer end of story. We easily got back more then we gave up by far. Berglund is the perfect 3C for us. Mittelstadt will come in and flourish now that ror is gone.

Reactions: KevinC and goach

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Honestly, on paper probably not. Nobody knows the real impact the kids will bring until 1/4 through the season. Losing ROR does suck but I’m expecting Sobotka/Berglund to pick up the defensive heavy lifting he was doing anyway.

A lot rides on Eichel rounding out his game. We already know he’s a force offensively but in the games he’s engaged defensively he’s shown he can dominate at both ends.

Also curious to see the dynamic of the room. ROR, Lehner, and Kane were big voices in the room and all of them are shown the door. It’ll be an interesting year

goach

Jun 30, 2013
Honestly, on paper probably not. Nobody knows the real impact the kids will bring until 1/4 through the season. Losing ROR does suck but I’m expecting Sobotka/Berglund to pick up the defensive heavy lifting he was doing anyway.

A lot rides on Eichel rounding out his game. We already know he’s a force offensively but in the games he’s engaged defensively he’s shown he can dominate at both ends.

Also curious to see the dynamic of the room. ROR, Lehner, and Kane were big voices in the room and all of them are shown the door. It’ll be an interesting year
Think we may look like a team this season!

Reactions: BananaSquad

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
I think we'll be better. We also basically gain Middlestadt and our D will be much, much better just with the addition of Dahlin alone. Our goalie situation is far better as well. I'm not going to predict playoffs, but I think we'll at least be in the chase.

ISeeStars

Jun 23, 2018
Iowa
I still can't fathom that we gave up two of our top five best players in Kane and O'Reilly for presumed late 1st round picks, a couple third line veterans, and just a decent prospect. I mean take Eichel away and these were our next best scorers and players alongside Ristolainen. To think that what was stated above is our only return from these guys is heartbreaking. I know the locker room is probably better but I don't know if it can equal out to the amount of talent we lost. I feel like we haven't improved at all and will once again be a bottom 3 team depending on if the team can gel early. I have been fine with all moves by Botts up until today. This move seemed forced.

goach

Jun 30, 2013
I still can't fathom that we gave up two of our top five best players in Kane and O'Reilly for presumed late 1st round picks, a couple third line veterans, and just a decent prospect. I mean take Eichel away and these were our next best scorers and players alongside Ristolainen. To think that what was stated above is our only return from these guys is heartbreaking. I know the locker room is probably better but I don't know if it can equal out to the amount of talent we lost. I feel like we haven't improved at all and will once again be a bottom 3 team depending on if the team can gel early. I have been fine with all moves by Botts up until today. This move seemed forced.
Building a team !! Instead of a few individuals!

ISeeStars

Jun 23, 2018
Iowa
Building a team !! Instead of a few individuals!

I get it, and I know we need to make changes to our 31st placed team and one that has been in the gutter for like 6 years. I just don't like the return. You can't give up the only guys who score and are borderline 1st line players for 3rd liners and very late 1st round draft picks

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->