Speculation: Are Sabres a worse team as of now, then last season?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I believe that they have less talent now than they did 12 months ago.

Depending on how the rest of the offseason goes, I would expect them to be one of the 5 worst teams in the league this season and they will continue to struggle to score goals.

The only way I see marked improvement is if Hutton and Ullmark stand on their heads and if they are a lot healthier than last year. But, with Bogosian still around and being counted on by Botterill, I don't have a lot of faith in that happening.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
No way. Adding Middlestadt, Guhle and Dahlin and subtracting the ROR we got last year makes us a better team. Still bottom 10, but we are not worse.

Until I see Girgensons, Pominville and/or Larsson in the top 9 on opening night, I remain optimistic that our games will not be as insufferable as they were last year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
We got better in Goal
We got better on the blue line (Dahlin)
We got better in the bottom 6
We got worse in the top 6

Reactions: jc17

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
upload_2018-7-2_21-17-26.png

I am not really sure how that can be worse then last year, no way. I actually think that's a really balanced looking lineup, but at the end of the day it comes down to how good Casey/Rasmus are and the if Sam can handle that spot.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
View attachment 128137

I am not really sure how that can be worse then last year, no way. I actually think that's a really balanced looking lineup, but at the end of the day it comes down to how good Casey/Rasmus are and the if Sam can handle that spot.

Your 2nd line is centered by a RWer or a rookie

your 3rd and 4th lines are centered by guys who can’t skate the position.

Our center spine went from strong to paralyzed...

There’s not one rookie, but two rookies in your top 6... where Connor sheary is your best winger.

Shall we talk about the #4-8 D now?

Reactions: ek93

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I guess the addition of Dahlin, Thompson, Berglund, Sobotka, Hutton and Sheary ( not counting Mittelstadt or Guhle) doesn’t outweigh the loss of Ryan O’Reilly to some.

Go figure.
Hes a top 20 center.. they don't grow on trees, they are hard to come by, you don't think losing ROR is going to hurt us down the middle? force some kid into a role they aren't ready for?

We are weaker down the middle than we were last season, that's the truth.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yes they are worse. But really doesn't matter they were going to finish out of the playoffs even with ROR.
Just hope the young guys don't get discouraged losing so many games. If the Sabres get fortunate in the draft for the next couple of years, maybe they can suddenly rise similarly to the Leafs.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
View attachment 128137

Yes because Tage Thompson with his 41 games of NHL service as a rookie is capable of holding down a top 6 first line role? :sarcasm:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yes because Tage Thompson with his 41 games of NHL service as a rookie is capable of holding down a top 6 first line role? :sarcasm:

No, maybe he flops. Maybe that’s a cycle of players. The question wasn’t if this is a playoff team, the question is if this team is better then last years. Zack Hyman was a first liner on the best offensive team in hockey FFS. Colorado relied upon a college undrafted UFA as their number one centre for a stretch, New Jersey made the playoffs with Jesper Bratt playing a big role. It’s not all about experience and sometimes youthful influx is good for a team..

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
20-30 points better
really??? Their goal differential would need to improve by 40-60 ???? I don’t see that happening.

Martin Biron eluded to this as well. ROR had a ton of points on the PP and his skating isn’t good enough to cover elite players.

With all of the skill we have now, our specials will be better and people will fill this PP points.
with all respect, if ROR’s skating isn’t good enough to cover elite players, who the f*** did BUF add with the skating to cover them????

Talent wise, through the roster, slightly better with addition of Dahlin + Berglund but - ROR.

As for a better team, we’re probably worse but it will remain to be seen if Housley can make them work, if they mesh with our guys (that’s important right ;) ).

We have pretty much the same level bottom 6 as last year, we have a slight improvement in goaltending, we have a very unknown improvement with Dahlin + Pilut on defense.

Our offensive ability in our top 6 went down, same with our defensive game.

Of course you need to factor in the hopeful improvement of the young guys.

It’s a long way until the season, as of right now, with so many unknowns It’s tough to say with a guarantee that will be better.
i’d put It as -100 to -80 in goal differential next season. Good for 30th or 31st.

On paper, we will probably be worse than last year. But then again, on paper, we were way last year than our record indicated. So it's not so crazy to think that we could be significantly better even if we downgrade in talent.
?????????

Doesn't look great on paper, but hockey isn't played on paper. Who had LVK as a playoff team last year, much less finalists?
BUF is light years away from VGK. Most notably in coaching. I’d love to swap coaches with VGK.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Interesting how divided the fanbase is right now.

IMO we're going to be better 100%. Goaltending is almost sure to be better. Bottom 6 is way better. Defense is better. Depth is better. Top 6 took a big loss with ROR but hopefully guys like Mitts and Sheary can fill that offensive void and then some. There are lot of quality kids knocking on the door. We have added a lot of veteran pieces from winning organiations in Hutton, Berglund, Sheary, Hunwick, and Sobotka. That character in the locker room is the biggest improvement of all and should make a really big difference.

We now have close to a full lineup of NHL caliber players instead of such a top heavy team. It's going to be a fun season, I'm fully on board with what Botts is doing.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Your 2nd line is centered by a RWer or a rookie

your 3rd and 4th lines are centered by guys who can’t skate the position.

Our center spine went from strong to paralyzed...

There’s not one rookie, but two rookies in your top 6... where Connor sheary is your best winger.

Shall we talk about the #4-8 D now?

Agree 100% with not trusting TT up on the top line. But, pretty sure chicago had 2 rookies in their top 6 in 07-08 and it worked out. Not saying TT is at their level but don't discount a guy like CM because he's a rookie.

Otherwise, the question wasn't "Is this a great team?", it's "are they better than last year?'

upload_2018-7-2_21-47-1.png

opening night last year^

Top line RW is a guy a bunch of people now want out of the lineup altogether.

2nd line LW is a guy everyone is happy is off the team.

Best winger is Kane, 2nd best is Okposo.

3rd line consists of 1 good player, one that couldn't stick in the NHL, and one that people are just considering for the 4th line.

4th line: Actual puke

If we're looking at all 12 players. We downgraded 2 spots, held on 3/4, and upgraded 5/6.

On defense there's a good shot Dahlin, Guhle and Pilut, if they make the team, will be significant upgrades from Antipin, beaulieu, nelson.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Hes a top 20 center.. they don't grow on trees, they are hard to come by, you don't think losing ROR is going to hurt us down the middle? force some kid into a role they aren't ready for?

We are weaker down the middle than we were last season, that's the truth.

Maybe I’m missing something but I could have sworn the title of this thread was are the Sabres a worse team now than last season and not is our center depth better than last year.

I’m sorry for responding to the wrong thread.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
?????????
I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about what I wrote. Maybe try writing words next time instead of a whole bunch of question marks if you are actually looking for a helpful response.

Edit: I see now that I mistyped, which maybe confused you. I meant to say "way worse last year," not "way last year."

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No, maybe he flops. Maybe that’s a cycle of players. The question wasn’t if this is a playoff team, the question is if this team is better then last years. Zack Hyman was a first liner on the best offensive team in hockey FFS. Colorado relied upon a college undrafted UFA as their number one centre for a stretch, New Jersey made the playoffs with Jesper Bratt playing a big role. It’s not all about experience and sometimes youthful influx is good for a team..
youthful influx is good for a team when they deserve it. Not by throwing them to the sharks to play 18 minutes a night against other teams top lines in the NHL when he struggled on the 3rd line in 41 games in St. Louis.

Him playing top line 18 minutes in Rochester would be a better testing ground. Let him develop rather than throwing him to the wolves.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
So let me get this straight. If you say we are a worse team now than last year, you are pretty much saying that losing ROR and Kane alone will have a bigger impact than adding Dahlin, Mittlestadt, and Sheary while greatly improving the goaltending and the bottom 6. By the sounds of it these moves also add greatly needed character, winning pedigree, and experience in the room. As to what effect those things will have, I guess we will see but I see a lot of reasons for optimism. I am not gonna sit here and mope and be all ROR about things ;) We said we have to be better, right?

Botterill has to think this team will be better, because even with a retooling team I think he knows it won't be acceptable to be horrendous again. Organizational depth is as good as it's been in several years, hopefully it starts to translate to the ice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are a lot of questions, and some of them aren't going to come out positive. It'll be interesting to see if the reshape on the room bears fruit. Or if better attitude from the goaltending leads to more engagement from the forwards at either end of the rink. Or how new players fit into the system, be they draftees or acquired elsewhere. Has the coaching staff improved and will they be better at deployment and usage? How does the powerplay adapt? Will the PK improve? Where will more 5-on-5 goals come from?

Nothing is certain and when so little is certain, the house of cards can easily come tumbling down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad