Are MacT/Eakins trying to tank for McDavid?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
if this quote doesn't tell how incompetent our "braintrust" is, then nothing will...

they've literally convinced themselves Schultz has Norris trophy potential....unreal

he does...kind of.

He is certainly as skilled as they come as a puck mover...

It irks me that they just gave him Petry's job though and don't have him locked up. I could easily see them loose both Petry and Schultz in the long run while Schultz focuses solely on offense to get that big UFA contract.

If Schultz blows an assignment like he did on that Calgary goal (I think Raymond) where he was lazily tying up Raymond's stick ....essentially watching Raymond score as he fails to check him, then you shouldn't put him out as your #1D.

Playing powerplay offensive D 20 minutes a night is bizzarro hockey. Just goes to show that Eakins is babying the core group and ******** on Yak and Petry....

That core group needs to start dominating ASAP which is insane pressure.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Theyre not trying to tank. This is honestly their best effort.

This is what happens when you hire people with zero experience in their role and are learning on the job.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Edmonton oilers have never once tanked on purpose, never. Their management team is simply that horrible,

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The Edmonton oilers have never once tanked on purpose, never. Their management team is simply that horrible,

They were straight up tanking for the Hall/RNH draft years, no doubt about that.

The delusion has always been their belief that they have actual management abilities capable of bringing a team back from a collapse like that.

A collapse that they themselves caused in the first place.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

Yeah but who is in charge of hiring these guys and keeping them in the business? The top guy. He obviously can see the results and yet he keeps these guys working for him. You tell me now with a straight face Katz isn't tanking on purpose. I mean, does Kevin Lowe have naked pictures of Daryl Katz or something?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They were straight up tanking for the Hall/RNH draft years, no doubt about that.

The delusion has always been their belief that they have actual management abilities capable of bringing a team back from a collapse like that.

I don't think they were tanking for Hall. RNH maybe but not Hall.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

No they weren't they were still adding guys each year in fa, they had been trying to add big names right up till the end. Quite simply non of their moves worked out and the young guys we had in place at that time were tossed into the deep end (gagner, cogs) They signed guys like Khabi and such. They never once tried to toss it all in like Buffalo has done the last few years.

Our front office can't be let off the hook for 'tanking' when not once did they actually try to tank by dumping vets and adding no one at all.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think they were tanking for Hall. RNH maybe but not Hall.

Not initially, but that was the year after everything fell apart that they came out and said they were going to do a scorched earth rebuild.

No they weren't they were still adding guys each year in fa, they had been trying to add big names right up till the end. Quite simply non of their moves worked out and the young guys we had in place at that time were tossed into the deep end (gagner, cogs) They signed guys like Khabi and such. They never once tried to toss it all in like Buffalo has done the last few years.

Our front office can't be let off the hook for 'tanking' when not once did they actually try to tank by dumping vets and adding no one at all.

Heatley/Khabby were the last ones. They were dumping vets and letting the league's worst team wallow from that point on.

There is no "letting them off the hook for tanking" either. Just getting a team in the position where you can effectively tank for multiple 1st overall draft picks is a huge indicator of how bad the management group is. A management group that is effectively identical to the one that made tanking possible in the first place.

Gambl0r83*

lol, they're not intentionally trying to win the sweepstakes, but this is definitely the excuse they will lay back on when/if we bomb the season again

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
come in peace

2 Questions:

1. off season, why oil not going hard on Jonas Hiller? he is much better than Ben tho.
2. Conor is John Tavares type of player, if they do tank, worth it.

:nod::nod::nod:

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
2 Questions:

1. off season, why oil not going hard on Jonas Hiller? he is much better than Ben tho.

1. Because goaltending was problem solved.
2. If I'm McDavid I pull a Lindros on the Oilers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
2 Questions:

Last night aside Hiller has been much worse than Ramo this year.

Even then I don't think it'd matter much.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't think so. But, I do think MacT felt he had a mandate to start his own rebuild from point zero, as opposed to continuing where Tambo left off.

He has essential turned over the whole roster. He is trading Petry. It appears to me that it is his belief he was starting from year one, not year three.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
if this quote doesn't tell how incompetent our "braintrust" is, then nothing will...

they've literally convinced themselves Schultz has Norris trophy potential....unreal

San Jose's management (including current Kings GM Dean Lombardi) was saying the same thing about Matt Carle a decade ago, I remember Phoenix hyping up Keith Ballard the same way in his first few seasons. Such hyperbole from management towards the fans is unnecessary IMO, but it is hardly unprecedented. I am more concerned with the on ice production the Oilers management team has foisted upon us than any irresponsible comments.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Connor McDavid is miles ahead of Lindros on the maturity level at the same age and is guaranteed to join the Oilers if it comes to fruition.

I'm sure he would, the early 90's were a different time for young players. However, if I had my druthers, I'd prefer not to go this organization. I can't imagine the Oilers newest DVD could convince me they could make my career better than any other team in the NHL.

Full disclosure: I am not expecting to be drafted this summer, first overall or otherwise.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Last place still guarantees one of McDavid or Eichel.

IIRC I think they changed teh lottery where each pick of the out of playoff teams gets a random draw. For example if you are in last place and lose the 1st pick you are not gauranteed the second pick.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
IIRC I think they changed teh lottery where each pick of the out of playoff teams gets a random draw. For example if you are in last place and lose the 1st pick you are not gauranteed the second pick.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

A team that finishes last overall will still get the 2nd overall pick if that team loses the lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad