Are MacT/Eakins trying to tank for McDavid?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I know the thread title sounds ridiculous seeing as how its three games in, but hear me out. First of all, I'm not a conspiracy theorist in any definition of the word, but some of the decisions made in the last few months have been incredibly dumb and incredibly baffling.

1) Signing Nikitin for 2 years, 4.5 mill. Nikitin was a healthy scratch in Columbus quite a few times last year, yet the Oilers signed him to 2nd pairing money and thrust him on the top pair.

2) trading Gagner WITHOUT having a centre lined up. We were already paper thin at centre. Gagner needed to go, I don't think anyone disputes that. But trading one of your top two centres without having another centre is beyond idiotic. Our centre depth for tonight is Arco-Leon-Gordon-Acton. Gagner has a ton of deficiencies in his game, but is still a much better NHL centre than any of those guys.

3) having 35 guys up till the end of preseason. All teams are down to 22-25 players in their final preseason games, and use those games to prep for the season. The sad thing is, we don't even have 35 NHL level players, we barely have 20. Whats the point of having a guy like Khaira in the final preseason game when everyone knows those guys won't make team? Thst just ensured the team had no preparation to start the team.

4) sending Marincin down. This guy was one of our best dmen last year, and nobody who watched the Oilers would dispute that. His preseason wasn't flashy, it was efficient. By all statistical and analytical measures, he also vastly outplayed all our left side Dmen. And even if he didn't outplayed Ference/Nikitin/klefbom- are you telling me the Oilers thought that Brad Freaking Hunt was a better NHL option?

5) Scratching Petry- scratching him last night when he was our best dman for two games was not only beyond stupid, it also put things in motion. Petry is on a one year deal. He is a good to 4 dman, and even those who don't like him know it was incredibly dumb to scratch him. Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 30 thoughts this morning that when you scratch a dman like that, its probably time to part ways. He listed Detroit or Anaheim as possible destinations. Not having Petry would destroy our already brutal back end, and I can't help but think that scratching him was a precursor to him bring traded in a few months time.

With all these decisions and more, I really cannot believe that a management and coaching staff soul be this stupid. Either we are stuck with the worst coaching and management combo in the history of sports, or they are intentionally trying to tank for McDavid. Either way, I'm pretty sure we are all sick of these guys, whatever they are trying to do with this team.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think they are trying to be bad, they just are. The defence is a mess but I do think they can be better. I find it hard to believe they can be any worse.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't think they are trying to be bad, they just are. The defence is a mess but I do think they can be better. I find it hard to believe they can be any worse.

Well, we're already in 30th so... nope.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I subscribe to the opposite conspiracy theory, the NHL will never allow a phenom such as McDavid to play anywhere but in a U.S. market.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You're just figuring this out now? It was pretty obvious Mactavish was tanking the season back in July when he blew his allowance on more wingers and overrated defensemen without touching the center spot. The fact that so much of this roster is signed long term means we have plenty more tanking years ahead of us still.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The thought that the Oilers would be legitimately sewering their season from game 1 on just for a less than 50% chance at being able to draft McDavid is a fantasy whipped up by fans looking for a conspiracy.

The simple fact is, they just aren't very good right now. But believe it or not, they WILL win a game this year. In fact, the odds are favorable that they will win more than one.

In times like this it seems like this team will never win a game again they look so damn bad, but a time will come where a PGT on this board will be a nice tidy 100-120 post thread dedicated to talking about how well the Oilers played that night.

It's just hard to see when the anger and disillusionment (fully deserved) are so dominant right now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The thought that the Oilers would be legitimately sewering their season from game 1 on just for a less than 50% chance at being able to draft McDavid is a fantasy whipped up by fans looking for a conspiracy.

The simple fact is, they just aren't very good right now. But believe it or not, they WILL win a game this year. In fact, the odds are favorable that they will win more than one.

In times like this it seems like this team will never win a game again they look so damn bad, but a time will come where a PGT on this board will be a nice tidy 100-120 post thread dedicated to talking about how well the Oilers played that night.

It's just hard to see when the anger and disillusionment (fully deserved) are so dominant right now.

Playing well and winning is very different from playing well and losing. And the last two games they were thoroughly outclassed.

There were a few issues going into the season that MacT never addressed, namely the 2C spot. With RNH down our center depth is AHL quality.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It must be nice to be the management of a "rebuilding" team.

You can be the most incompetent person out there and still collect an NHL salary for a few years.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
Maybe this was the plan all along? It all started as a 9 year plan when Mcdavid was only 8 years old. They seen this kid and knew he would be a player!

Said we will tank until we draft this kid

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Playing well and winning is very different from playing well and losing. And the last two games they were thoroughly outclassed.

There were a few issues going into the season that MacT never addressed, namely the 2C spot. With RNH down our center depth is AHL quality.

I don't see how that's relevant to what I was saying. OF COURSE they've looked like crap. Not even Stauffer is disputing that now.

I'm just saying there will be better days this season, even if they're few and far between. What we've seen so far is NOT the best that they can do. Far from it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No, MacT's ego is too big to intentionally associate his name with losing. They really thought this near cap team (over cap with bonuses of the rushed kids) was going to be good.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I know the thread title sounds ridiculous seeing as how its three games in, but hear me out. First of all, I'm not a conspiracy theorist in any definition of the word, but some of the decisions made in the last few months have been incredibly dumb and incredibly baffling.

1) Signing Nikitin for 2 years, 4.5 mill. Nikitin was a healthy scratch in Columbus quite a few times last year, yet the Oilers signed him to 2nd pairing money and thrust him on the top pair.

2) trading Gagner WITHOUT having a centre lined up. We were already paper thin at centre. Gagner needed to go, I don't think anyone disputes that. But trading one of your top two centres without having another centre is beyond idiotic. Our centre depth for tonight is Arco-Leon-Gordon-Acton. Gagner has a ton of deficiencies in his game, but is still a much better NHL centre than any of those guys.

3) having 35 guys up till the end of preseason. All teams are down to 22-25 players in their final preseason games, and use those games to prep for the season. The sad thing is, we don't even have 35 NHL level players, we barely have 20. Whats the point of having a guy like Khaira in the final preseason game when everyone knows those guys won't make team? Thst just ensured the team had no preparation to start the team.

4) sending Marincin down. This guy was one of our best dmen last year, and nobody who watched the Oilers would dispute that. His preseason wasn't flashy, it was efficient. By all statistical and analytical measures, he also vastly outplayed all our left side Dmen. And even if he didn't outplayed Ference/Nikitin/klefbom- are you telling me the Oilers thought that Brad Freaking Hunt was a better NHL option?

5) Scratching Petry- scratching him last night when he was our best dman for two games was not only beyond stupid, it also put things in motion. Petry is on a one year deal. He is a good to 4 dman, and even those who don't like him know it was incredibly dumb to scratch him. Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 30 thoughts this morning that when you scratch a dman like that, its probably time to part ways. He listed Detroit or Anaheim as possible destinations. Not having Petry would destroy our already brutal back end, and I can't help but think that scratching him was a precursor to him bring traded in a few months time.

With all these decisions and more, I really cannot believe that a management and coaching staff soul be this stupid. Either we are stuck with the worst coaching and management combo in the history of sports, or they are intentionally trying to tank for McDavid. Either way, I'm pretty sure we are all sick of these guys, whatever they are trying to do with this team.

No, they just fail at building a team in spectacular fashion.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
This is not purposeful, this is just insanity. If the Oilers draft McDavid, I doubt he could turn this ship around, and secondly, I suspect he would refuse to report and go back into the draft.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

I disagree, the kings totally outmatched us in every category but the Oil played well against the Nucks until the refs stepped in. And although there were some dumb penalties for the Oilers that were deserved, there were also some that kept the Nucks on an extended man advantage that took any momentum that the Oilers might have had early on. Excuses excuses I know but I thought the Oil deserved a better fate in that game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I disagree, the kings totally outmatched us in every category but the Oil played well against the Nucks until the refs stepped in. And although there were some dumb penalties for the Oilers that were deserved, there were also some that kept the Nucks on an extended man advantage that took any momentum that the Oilers might have had early on. Excuses excuses I know but I thought the Oil deserved a better fate in that game.

Maybe but we were still up by 2 even with the Canucks getting help from above. Good teams lock that down even with the disadvantage.

I don't see how that's relevant to what I was saying. OF COURSE they've looked like crap. Not even Stauffer is disputing that now.

I'm just saying there will be better days this season, even if they're few and far between. What we've seen so far is NOT the best that they can do. Far from it.

..But what if it is? And what's scarier... What if that isn't the WORST we've seen? :amazed:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't think there is a chance in hell that Bettman doesn't rig the lottery if the Oilers are top 2.

Our only shot is 30th and then get bumped down to 2 for Eichel.

and, yes ....I am a paranoid maniac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad