Are Leaf fans prepared to do a proper rebuild?

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I'm pretty happy with Morgan Rielly at 5th overall.

He's an excellent prospect.

I wouldn't complain about Huberdeau or Seguin either.

Great picks at the spots they were taken in.

If we had Seguin, Huberdeau and Reilly as three main core pieces that'd be a great start for any core.

If we trade Kessel and get another good young player and draft one this summer (MacKinnon and Granlund).

A core of MacKinnon, Lupol, Jvr, Granlund, Phaneuf, Reilly and Gardiner would be a lot better going forward then the one we have.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
- We had a lot of things go wrong for us too towards the end. I don't see Montreal with the biggest addition being Colby Armstrong doing anything tbh.

The biggest addition was Brandon Prust who comes with a good reputation and injects some sorely needed physicality, character and grit to the lineup. In any case, the hope is that the Canadiens will be better because Markov and Gionta will be healthy more than anything.

As for the Leafs, my opinion (being in Toronto) is that a full rebuild (ala Oilers, Penguins, etc.) would only have been possible when Burke first arrived. It's been 7 years since a playoff appearance by the Leafs and a full rebuild would probably result in another 4-5 years of missing the postseason, which is just an incredible amount of time to add to 7 years.

Even if the Cup is the ultimate goal, making the playoffs is typically the first step and the Leafs should reach that milestone first (not saying that the future should be mortgaged either) before thinking about contending since going from 0 playoff appearances to a Cup Final appearance is a big leap.

Disgruntled Observer*

Was the islanders rebuild proper or improper?

They tried to do a proper rebuild but their GM did a lousy job of it (never mind the fact that they are hurdled with dramatic financial disadvantages that don't apply to the maple leafs).

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
My suggestion, run with Reimer and Scrivens, if one proves he is good enough we have a goalie for next year, if not we have a top 3 pick.

Lmao that is not a sure bet though! It would be easy if it was, but it isn't. That's my biggest problem with these arguments, people are banking on the pick being 1st-3rd overall. The lineup, as it stands, is not a 30th placed lineup.

Would I like to have Lou at a fair price (not trading away Gardiner/Rielly/our 1st rd pick for him), hell yes. I actually want the Leafs to win the majority of their games this season, and he would help that cause. It is possible to make the playoffs, put up a good fight against the top seeded team, give players experience and STILL draft a good player.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No. Because a RE-Build is unnecessary. That implies replacing most of our roster which is definitely not needed. Why go back to square 1? As far as I'm concerned Burke, made some good moves and the teams future is looking good. We don't need to re-build, we need to continue to build and progress. A 2 year re-build is highly optimistic and also unrealistic. It would take a minimum of 4 years , 4 years wasted unnecessarily. So no leafs fans aren't prepared for a re-build, because a re-build isn't necessary.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Pretty much, with much help from fans such as yourself.

I thank you for your assistance.

And your opinion should be trusted why?

Pretty sure you were one guy that thought Brian Burke would be extended so not sure how credible you really are in terms of assessing the Leafs and their managerial decisions.

On the other hand, I was correct in my assessment that Brian Burke should and will be fired.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
And your opinion should be trusted why?

Pretty sure you were one guy that thought Brian Burke would be extended so not sure how credible you really are in terms of assessing the Leafs and their managerial decisions.

On the other hand, I was correct in my assessment that Brian Burke should and will be fired.
My opinion is backed by this very thread and the last 40 years.

And congratulations on being right on something. We can play that game all night if you want.

Feel free to go back to last September and look up season predictions, Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak. Bet you'll find some answers that shock you.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If we had Seguin, Huberdeau and Reilly as three main core pieces that'd be a great start for any core.

If we trade Kessel and get another good young player and draft one this summer (MacKinnon and Granlund).

A core of MacKinnon, Lupol, Jvr, Granlund, Phaneuf, Reilly and Gardiner would be a lot better going forward then the one we have.

I agree.

I also hope we draft a goalie with a late 1st we can get via trade or with a 2nd round pick. We haven't had a good goalie in YEARS.

How did Burke try and address that? He drafted ONE goalie in four years, and it was in the 7th round. I actually do appreciate the work he did with "free wallets", Gustavsson, Owuya, Rynnas, and Scrivens were all free agents. But you have to compliment that with the draft, particularly one of the better goalie prospects in the first few rounds.

Unfortunately any drafted goaltender will probably be 4-6 years away from starting to make the NHL roster, so that's more looking longterm. Hopefullly we can sign Backstrom this summer, I think he'd be the perfect short-term solution. Considering our cap situation, we could easily outbid anybody for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad