Are Jay Feaster's comments on Jankowski finally coming to fruition?

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Pretty sure the Oilers already wish they'd drafted one of the top pairing D or solid 2nd pairing D over Yakupov.

As for commenting on Jankowski being the best natural C, Galchenyuk would like a word. Sure he's struggling as a C today but he still scored 30G two seasons ago.

He's been improving pretty much every season despite what it seems like. 30g two seasons ago, highest career PPG last season...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In 2012 Jay Feaster said that in 10 years Jankowski will be viewed as best player of 2012 draft. And he got laughed at and very soon after fired.

F?

He is still wrong no matter what. He is not going to catch Forsberg

illpucks

May 26, 2011

030113feaster-e1372891165772.jpg

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
No - but Jankowski was a good pick. Feaster really should have known better than to make the comments he did. He put a ton of pressure on Jankowski before he ever played an NHL game.

The Flames took their time with him though and it looks like it’s paying off.

As for why Flames fans are excited, Jankowski plays an excellent two-way game, is used exclusively on the third line and gets 0 PP time. If he scores around 30 points that’s a great year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't get the hype. Why are we getting so excited about a 23 year old rookie on pace for 28 points? I mean, Kerfoot is the same age and doesn't have 3 threads on the front page, and the kid is on pace for 60 points.
Jankowski doesn't have 3 either. Not that either of the two need to exist.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't get the hype. Why are we getting so excited about a 23 year old rookie on pace for 28 points? I mean, Kerfoot is the same age and doesn't have 3 threads on the front page, and the kid is on pace for 60 points.
Kerfoot plays for the Avs, wasn't highly touted and that is basically a perfect combo for a hype death sentence.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kerfoot plays for the Avs, wasn't highly touted and that is basically a perfect combo for a hype death sentence.
Can you say Jankowski was highly touted when opposition fans have shit on him, calling him a reach and a bust since the moment he was drafted?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Best player of the draft was hyperbole, but Jankowski always struck me as someone who could eventually be a rather impactful player in the NHL. His play in the NHL so far just seem to follow along his development trajectory.

Can you say Jankowski was highly touted when opposition fans have **** on him, calling him a reach and a bust since the moment he was drafted?
Calling him a reach is more descriptive than negative though. It was a reach, and one that seem to pan out.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Can someone explain to me what exactly Jankowski has done to be any more valuable or quality than a guy like Leivo?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can someone explain to me what exactly Jankowski has done to be any more valuable or quality than a guy like Leivo?

Dunno.
One's an everyday NHLer, who has a huge body and plays centre. Also was the second best rookie in the AHL last year only under a guy named Guentzel.

Plus you have to love Jankowski's ceiling over a guy like Leivo's.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Well for one, he actually gets in games this season.

Not that I don't agree with the spirit of your post.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The biggest difference between Jankowski and other prospects is the 'late-bloomer' status.

As in, with most prospects, their development curve has them reaching an impactful level around 20-22 years old or so. So you expect them to break in (if they're a first-rounder) around their draft+2 or draft+3 season at the latest, and make some noise. But Jankowski was different, because even though his talent level was admired by scouts, he was expected to take a massive amount of time from his draft to be ready for pro hockey. Not only was he days away from being in the 2013 draft, but he grew a full 6" in the two years prior to the draft. Then he grew another two inches after the draft, meaning his body was significantly underdeveloped relative to peers from his draft class and age group.

So the difference is really one of expectation. For a guy who isn't a late bloomer physically, the expectation is that he'll be in the NHL sooner, and so if he isn't, it's a concern. With Mark Jankowski, the expectation right from the start was that he'd take 5 years. That's what all the scouts said, and that's what Feaster and Weisbrod said. So there is absolutely no reason for concern in his case, because he's met expectations.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Is he the best player from the draft? Absolutely not. Is he one of them? Absolutely. Feaster wasn't too far off with his comment, give the guy a break. It's not like he was in left field and became a bust.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
linear increase vs flatline in development

Any 3rd line quality player should be near the top of the AHL at age 23.

56 points in 64 games in the AHL isn't a linear increase, unless you are graphing the minimum expectation for someone in the 22-25 year range who expects to be a forward in the NHL. In that case, he's right on track to be an okay NHL player. Can't expect much more from a late 1st, but he is miles and miles away from Filip Forsberg and I've seen nothing to suggest he's even close in terms of quality.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As for why Flames fans are excited, Jankowski plays an excellent two-way game, is used exclusively on the third line and gets 0 PP time. If he scores around 30 points that’s a great year.

Excellent two-way game?

It is a stretch to say he is better than average defensively and likely he is below average and he is definitely way below average offensively.

Excellent two-way players don't go pointless in 80% of their games.

Leivo doesn't have a legion of fans so dedicated to the idea of him turning out that they are ready to overrate him at every step and pump his tires for every little thing he does.

Instead Leivo is a better player but viewed with reality which ins't nearly as fun as overrating Jankowski while coming up with excuse after excuse for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

56 points in 64 games in the AHL isn't a linear increase, unless you are graphing the minimum expectation for someone in the 22-25 year range who expects to be a forward in the NHL. In that case, he's right on track to be an okay NHL player. Can't expect much more from a late 1st, but he is miles and miles away from Filip Forsberg and I've seen nothing to suggest he's even close in terms of quality.

This is why there is always a disconnect in Jankowski discussions. Some people just can't handle development curves being different between different guys. Did Kerfoot grow 8 inches in the years book-ending his draft year? No, so why would you expect his development to be delayed like Jankowski's?

I know that it would seem extremely flaky if it was something that was created to explain away disappointing returns from a player thus far, but the fact with Janko is that everything that was happened is exactly what the highest expectations were when he was drafted. He hasn't disappointed anyone yet. I get that it's nothing for another team's fans to be excited over, though. But for Flames fans (who understand or at least can try to understand that different players are different), it's very much like watching Tkachuk last year, because he's so raw compared to other guys his age.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

i was with you until the end. the poster i responded to compared him to josh leivo, a player who has flatlined in development and shows minimal upside past what he is now.

the last part of it i agree with what you're saying - but i also never said that nor do i agree with the poster (if there is one) who thinks that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad