Are Jay Feaster's comments on Jankowski finally coming to fruition?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
He won't be the top player, but he will probably have a long NHL career and be a great 2 way center, which isn't bad for a 22nd or whatever pick he was... people will be eating crow though.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Slow your role bro...

I like Janko as much as the next guy, but I'd be ecstatic if he turns into our 3rd line C for the future, he's got top 6 potential though for sure.

And once again, Feaster didn't say that.

I'll be disappointed if he tops out as a 3C. Strong 2C I don't think is unrealistic.

The guy just has unreal physical attributes and from what I've seen has the mental game down as well.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
How often do guys take 5 years to become a star in the league at 23-24yo? Alfredsson was one.

I can see Jankowski establishing himself as a top 6 F worthy of his draft status. But carving out an elite career it would take to supplant some of the other 2012 draftees will be hard or next to impossible.

For comparison's sake, he basically needs to go 0.9+ PPG for the next three seasons to be considered better than Forsberg.

He'd have to become a #1 C just to be considered equal or better than Ceci, Lindholm, Reilly, Trouba, Murray, Dumba, Skjei.

As it stands, he's not even better than Tanner Pearson who was picked 10 spots after him and already has 3 seasons of experience as a middle 6 scoring winger with .5 PPG.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It really doesn't matter if Vasilevskiy, or Murray, or Parayko, or Lindholm, or Filip Forsberg have whatever success they have. Jankowski is the best Center in the 2012 NHL draft with only Tomas Hertl in a distant 2nd. He is at the very least a similar type of talent to Scheifele or Couturier which anyone would gladly take without a 1st overall pick, and maybe even with. Finding talented centers without McTanking is borderline impossible. With Bennett, Jankowski, Backlund, and Monahan we finally have four natural centers who all belong on a good team's top 6 forward group. That's a tall order.

29 whole days younger!! Never mind that as an 18 year old he was more filled out than Jankowski was at 20, or that he took a coventional route to he NHL playing multiple years of major junior and then getting handed a comfy NHL spot with superstar Gaudreau for the rest of his career to date.
#freemonahan

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Deegee

Oct 29, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It's kind of a ridiculous thread for his first NHL season. It's far too early to tell what kind of player he is.

It's equally obnoxious to start using points as a comparison to similarly drafted players as Jankowski didn't go the traditional route of major junior.

However looking at the draft year, I wo nder by the end of.the year if Oiler fans wished they would have drafted Jankowski instead of Yakupov.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's kind of a ridiculous thread for his first NHL season. It's far too early to tell what kind of player he is.

It's equally obnoxious to start using points as a comparison to similarly drafted players as Jankowski didn't go the traditional route of major junior.

However looking at the draft year, I wo nder by the end of.the year if Oiler fans wished they would have drafted Jankowski instead of Yakupov.

It's posts like these that make me cringe. No one can tell the future. Scouts/GMs pick players based on how they've produced in that given year, not at what they do in 5 years. Only a fortune teller could tell you that stuff.

If that was the case, the Flames should have picked Pastrnak, or Ehlers, or Nylander at 4th OA, right? No one can predict those things. Yakupov and Murray were the general consensus as #1 and were the better players in the draft at the time. That's why Edmonton went with Yakupov.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

Pretty sure the Oilers already wish they'd drafted one of the top pairing D or solid 2nd pairing D over Yakupov.

As for commenting on Jankowski being the best natural C, Galchenyuk would like a word. Sure he's struggling as a C today but he still scored 30G two seasons ago.

Reactions: Danger Zone

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Knew the brag thread was coming after last nights performance, he's along ways from best of his draft, but is showing lots of good stuff. Smashed the AHL to start the year and was snake bitten for his first few NHL games, but was very strong on the puck and good at distributing it, he's starting to look a lot more comfortable out there now that Bennett-Jank-Jagr is coming together. Hoping that a dominant performance against the best team in the West could be his turning point (and Bennett's too), but hey, we'll see.

Deegee

Oct 29, 2013
Edmonton, AB
My comment about the Oilers picking Jankowski instead of Yakupov if they had a time machine was tongue in cheek.

It builds on the ridiculousness of determining a player's worth after 10 games.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
My comment about the Oilers picking Jankowski instead of Yakupov if they had a time machine was tongue in cheek.

It builds on the ridiculousness of determining a player's worth after 10 games.

That's just the difference between current ability and potential. Yakupov was already at his peak during the draft while Jankowski had a child'd body playing in Canadian highschool.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
There's a player that literally has 200 more points than Janokowski from that draft class right now... and 4 points total/one multi-point night is all it takes for the chest thumping?

He's got a LONG way to go to be at the top of this class.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I hate the race car/'I'm a superstar' number on him and soooooo many other borderline NHLers. Other than that he's looked fine the past couple games.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
I hate the race car/'I'm a superstar' number on him and soooooo many other borderline NHLers. Other than that he's looked fine the past couple games.

He was 10 in college and 17 in the AHL. It's pretty common for players breaking in the league to use a higher number, then get a lower one after they assert themselves in the league.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
He was 10 in college and 17 in the AHL. It's pretty common for players breaking in the league to use a higher number, then get a lower one after they assert themselves in the league.

I hear ya and I hope if he sticks he adjusts. Just in looking around the league it's an epidemic. I understand it in Montreal to a point, but look at the Vegas roster. Like Noesek, Hunt, Marchessault etc. So many borderline players wearing what used to be star player numbers.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
He has potential but definitely not going to be the best player from the draft. He's 23.

Him turning out as a Backlund level player would be awesome though.

Reactions: snipetype

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I really don’t care if he becomes the best player in the draft. Rarely do picks in the 20’s end up that way. Anyone who holds onto that thought can take it up with the Vancouver Canucks’s John Weisbrod because it’s not like Jankowski said that himself. He’s just like any other late pick who’s trying to establish himself at the NHL level.

But what Jankowski is doing right now is showing a lot of promise right now. He’s starting to figure out the pace of the NHL game and looks like he has the tools to be a top 6 forward. He has high hockey iq, skates well for a big guy and is actually a better goal scorer than I had anticipated. He has potential to be quite a player and that’s all that should be expected. People to need to grow up here and give the “best player” crap a rest.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
no. jankowski could become a great player but definitely will not the best. there are a ton of guys ahead of him who have some seasons in the nhl whereas he is just starting to become an nhl player

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There's a player that literally has 200 more points than Janokowski from that draft class right now... and 4 points total/one multi-point night is all it takes for the chest thumping?

He's got a LONG way to go to be at the top of this class.
Thread was not posted by a Flames fan, so it's not chest thumping. I took it as a guy pointing out Janko had a 3 point night while mocking Feaster for his comments at the same time.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Also, Yakupov is literally having a better season than Jankowski so far this year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
In 2012 Jay Feaster said that in 10 years Jankowski will be viewed as best player of 2012 draft. And he got laughed at and very soon after fired.

Fast forward and after 5 seasons of busting his ass in the minors, Jankowski finally is the NHL and has 3 goals, 4 points in last 2 games, including this beauty tonight

It is early, but Janko is looking like he might just be bringing back the ghost of Feaster and proving him right. What will Janko's future hold and look like?

Just be grateful he's not a laughing stock any more and leave it at that :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad