Are Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov part of the problem?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
From a production pov Gagner roughly equals Roy.
That's my feeling as well. And doesn't that make the whole series of transactions even more puzzling?

Have only three NHL centers.
Trade consistent, youngish, offensive center with some holes for big, soft, lazy winger on ugly contract.
Insert rookie into hole created at center.
Support rookie by scrounging up an undersized AHL center to fill out roster at center position.
Watch decent centers pass by on waivers or get traded elsewhere.
Send rookie back to juniors.
With season lost, reluctantly pick up a center that has been available since last summer and who just happens to be pretty much an older version of the guy you shipped out to start the entire series of transactions.
Prosper (Oiler style).

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's my feeling as well. And doesn't that make the whole series of transactions even more puzzling?

Have only three NHL centers.
Trade consistent, youngish, offensive center with some holes for big, soft, lazy winger on ugly contract.
Insert rookie into hole created at center.
Support rookie by scrounging up an undersized AHL center to fill out roster at center position.
Watch decent centers pass by on waivers or get traded elsewhere.
Send rookie back to juniors.
With season lost, reluctantly pick up a center that has been available since last summer and who just happens to be pretty much an older version of the guy you shipped out to start the entire series of transactions.
Prosper (Oiler style).
:laugh:

I can't really add anything to that list.

That this org does this so often, with so many players and examples makes it a seeming, or steaming, perpetual rebuild.

Not sure why we keep wanting to believe there is a plan of any sort here. Its a series of reactions to reactions to brainfarts.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
:laugh:

I can't really add anything to that list.

That this org does this so often, with so many players and examples makes it a seeming, or steaming, perpetual rebuild.

Not sure why we keep wanting to believe there is a plan of any sort here. Its a series of reactions to reactions to brainfarts.

pretty much. we can debte the impact or significance of this transaction or that brainfart, but add them all up, and these guys don't know what they're doing.

He trades Horcoff to do him a favour and immediately needs a Horcoff. Signs Nikitin, loses Petry, now he needs a Petry.

If there is a plan, its just to milk it along untill Klefbom, Nurse, Broissoit, Draisaitl and Strome/Hanifin save them.

I bet they chose Mcllelland over Nelson and it blews up in their faces. they'll chose hanifin over Strome or Provorov, and it blew up in their faces. They'll sign Niemi....

Its to the point that we believe everything they decide ends up being the wrong decision. They can't get anything right, because, like you said, they are reacting.

the whole situation around the handling of the C position and Petry, is some of the worst managing I can ever remember. Gross incompetence.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My bad on the Gagner contract, I was of the impression that it was a 3 year deal, not 2. Double checked on NHL numbers(man I miss capgeek) and you are right.

However, again, for the 1000th time, MacT tried to improve our centre depth by signing Olli Jokinen(and possibly Derek Roy) in the offseason by offering him the most money that any team offered him, but Jokinen chose not to sign. Would have helped with our size down the middle, and our depth, but there is nothing you can do if a player doesn't want to sign with your team. This isn't EA Sports. You have to remember that we also had a window to trade Gagner as his NTC kicked in at midnight that night so we didn't have the luxury of waiting to see if we could add centre depth before trading him.

Sure, Yzerman saved money for his team, but he is also paying $1.6 million for Gagner this year and next and he will never play a game for his team. He saves 2.9 million total, so I guess if you think that Purcell isn't worth $2.9 million per then it is a savings for his team. At the end of the day this doesn't really matter for our team, so I don't care.

Can anyone honestly say that we would have been any stronger a team this year minus Purcell, plus Gagner??? I don't see it. We played ok as it was against Eastern conference teams, but against the bigger western conference teams we struggled, but Gagner wouldn't have changed that IMO. I guess maybe we would have ended up with the 5-7th overall pick instead of 3-4?

NOt that it matters but Gagner's contract was for 3 years not two. The first year was the 2013-2014 season.

ElFossum

Nov 19, 2013
Saskatoon SK
I don't think they're the reason why we're losing, but I don't think they're helping us win either. This team was not build properly from the start, and here we are ten years later and our methods still aren't working. It's a shame that we still won't be good by the time the arena is built and we'll probably still have our third pairing norris trophy candidate in the lineup, as well as all of our perimeter under achieving forwards. Too bad management is so content with being mediocre, cause these assets could really turn this team around if we weren't so attached to the term potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad