The Star: Are extreme sports diets a fad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Fortunately according to most sources Rielly works out like a machine so those carbs have less of an impact.

No doubt that cutting down carbs especially pasta and bread yields results but man it's a hard thing to do. I don't know how people can do it over an extended period. I'd lose my will to live.

If a diet was 80% veggies, they would take in a TON of carbs. The new thing for the last 10 years has been the "Slow burning" carbs.... Yams, veggies, brown rice, whole wheat bread..... replacing the white starches/sugars.... Most people don't know that a white starch, such as a potato white bread etc, breaks down as sugar in the body.

body builders call it the "clean" diet. For meats, mostly only chicken, turkey, and fish. With the rare "lean" red meat.

But when you look at the diet of a athlete that trains like crazy, take a Phelps (sp?) that swimmer.... his diet is insane, something like 8000 calories a day, and if you eat 8000 calories a day, it impossible to eat "clean" since clean foods don't bring a ton of calories.

My oldest son, who is in AAA for the Redwings, is a health nut...... NUTS I tells ya! He since has had to learn to cook, as Mother and I are not cooking 8-10 times a day.
He also now delivers flyers for extra money to pay for it..... Chicken prices are out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Food prices are indeed very high and for poisoned food at the same time, what is in chicken? You don't even want to know. Makes me laugh in a sad way to hear chicken being described as clean. The poor things eat their own feces in China, and that is where we get a lot of our chicken now . Straight from china? Our veggies, from china, and fed feces from pigs etc.. Echhh its just all so gross.

Its amazing that we even live to 50, god did a great job of construction.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Food prices are indeed very high and for poisoned food at the same time, what is in chicken? You don't even want to know.

Oh I know.... My son has made me watch the worst videos ever about our food.

Just look into Monsanto, which supplies a healthy % of all our total food. It's freaking gross. Spraying fruits and veggies with chemicals just so they look "Brighter and colorful", same with meat, like hamburger, it's injected with a dye so the meat looks "Red/Pinker".

Just go grab ANY random can or boxed food in your cupboard, I bet you have no idea what at least 5 ingredients are, and when you google them, you will be grossed out.

I recently googled a chemical in my kids cereal, and found out it is a industrial floor cleaner..... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm (No more cereal!!)

However, you basically can't win, and the only reason we live past 60 is medicine. So I eat basically what I want, and try to avoid "Pre-made" or canned food as much as possible.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
First world problems. Some spurious docs get on Netflix and now people buy into the conspiracy theories of some people who may actually be insane. All I suggest is reading some literature on this subject matter that doesn't reinforce your current position on it. Actually do that on any subject.

Pesticides and herbicides and genetically modifying organisms are the only reason the earth's population isn't starving right now. And the only reason why the earth will hopefully be able to support double its current population in the future. If we were using the crops and techniques of 50 years ago, places like India would be in a deficit for food instead of exporting wheat and other foods. These foods are demonstrably fine for the general population as the average lifespan continues to rise.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If a diet was 80% veggies, they would take in a TON of carbs. The new thing for the last 10 years has been the "Slow burning" carbs.... Yams, veggies, brown rice, whole wheat bread..... replacing the white starches/sugars.... Most people don't know that a white starch, such as a potato white bread etc, breaks down as sugar in the body.

body builders call it the "clean" diet. For meats, mostly only chicken, turkey, and fish. With the rare "lean" red meat.

But when you look at the diet of a athlete that trains like crazy, take a Phelps (sp?) that swimmer.... his diet is insane, something like 8000 calories a day, and if you eat 8000 calories a day, it impossible to eat "clean" since clean foods don't bring a ton of calories.

My oldest son, who is in AAA for the Redwings, is a health nut...... NUTS I tells ya! He since has had to learn to cook, as Mother and I are not cooking 8-10 times a day.
He also now delivers flyers for extra money to pay for it..... Chicken prices are out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
where are you buying chicken? KFC? :laugh: I always found chicken to be very inexpensive in the grocery stores. At food basics you can buy a whole roasted chicken piping hot for 7.49 and get this some days they clear out any unsold ones for half price...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
where are you buying chicken? KFC? :laugh: I always found chicken to be very inexpensive in the grocery stores. At food basics you can buy a whole roasted chicken piping hot for 7.49 and get this some days they clear out any unsold ones for half price...

Not that anyone would do this today :sarcasm:, but in the early 70's I used to do our roasted chickens at a still well known grocery chain.

The chickens were chosen based on how old they were and how soon they'd have to be thrown away.

Cook it rather than throw it away.

In the 80's we sourced much of our personal food from an organic farm outside London. We'd buy meat there at the end of the year. From cows fed from their organic gardens.

Today I'm not sure how much I trust the "organic" label on foods.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Sorry, I should have stated........ "Clean" chicken is considered breast only. Boneless chicken breast (What my son eats) cost a fortune. It's about $16 for 3-4 of them, and he eats about 6 of them/day. Close to $20 on friggen chicken daily because he hates fish.

He won't eat the cooked ones because of skin..... yes..... skin.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Not that anyone would do this today :sarcasm:, but in the early 70's I used to do our roasted chickens at a still well known grocery chain.

The chickens were chosen based on how old they were and how soon they'd have to be thrown away.

Cook it rather than throw it away.

In the 80's we sourced much of our personal food from an organic farm outside London. We'd buy meat there at the end of the year. From cows fed from their organic gardens.

Today I'm not sure how much I trust the "organic" label on foods.

Canada and the US changed the law on what "organic" is, I wouldn't trust it either.

These are facts.... LAWS, anyone can look up.

And actually, they just had one of those 20/20 shows, I have it PVR'd if you want the actually title.... Anyways, they went into Sobey's and found that they kept moving the best before date up on the meat, as much as Two weeks. They also found food products that haven't even been made in 5 years still on the shelf.

**EDIT** Found some articles on CBC and G&M about that exact thing...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...packaging-dates-of-meat-and-poultry-1.2851437

Last edited:

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Sorry, I should have stated........ "Clean" chicken is considered breast only. Boneless chicken breast (What my son eats) cost a fortune. It's about $16 for 3-4 of them, and he eats about 6 of them/day. Close to $20 on friggen chicken daily because he hates fish.

He won't eat the cooked ones because of skin..... yes..... skin.

Can't cut the skin off? :laugh:

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Can't cut the skin off? :laugh:

It's a lot of work. It's not just the skin, you also have to remove the breasts from the rest. Removing cooked skin still leaves a lot of fat on the chicken as well.

All that for 2 breasts.... x 3 = 6.... Still cost $24 on pre-cooked chicken..... Not sure what is so hard to grasp.

Maybe some of you don't understand how much a competitive athlete eats?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Got inspired so me and the wife went to an all veggie restaurant, I had the veggie burger and the wife had some kinda cheese and puffed pastry thing.

I get the need to move more towards a plant based diet but dang my burger tasted like vegetables with spices... :cry: meat taste so good...

So a few years back the Atkins diet was the rage, now the Paleo diet is the rage... I'm not so sure if guys who are HOF caliber all of a sudden changed their diet suddenly become average. You look at guys like Howe and Gretzky, guys who for the most part didn't live in this micromanaged diet lifestyle are considered all-time greats. they set records without the help of our "advance sports diets". I believe that if you are gifted athletically, you are gifted. You don't become a HOF athlete just because of a special diet.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Food prices are indeed very high and for poisoned food at the same time, what is in chicken? You don't even want to know. Makes me laugh in a sad way to hear chicken being described as clean. The poor things eat their own feces in China, and that is where we get a lot of our chicken now . Straight from china? Our veggies, from china, and fed feces from pigs etc.. Echhh its just all so gross.

My wife is a food scientist and used to work for maple leaf and yes, most of our chicken does come from China. Her and I have actually spoken about this many times. Her, the food scientist, and me, the sous chef, have a strong interest in food, where it comes from, what it's fed, what's in the soil etc. It may sound boring, but it's interesting. We don't go crazy and buy all organic products, simply because it's far too expensive, but I know people who do, and I can't imagine their grocery bills at the end of the month. The biggest fad of them all is buying local with gluten-free being a close second. If you read up on the gluten-free idea you'll be surprised about how much BS is involved. I won't go into too much detail here but if everyone on this planet only ate local food, think of what your fridge and cupboards would consist of.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's a lot of work. It's not just the skin, you also have to remove the breasts from the rest. Removing cooked skin still leaves a lot of fat on the chicken as well.

All that for 2 breasts.... x 3 = 6.... Still cost $24 on pre-cooked chicken..... Not sure what is so hard to grasp.

Maybe some of you don't understand how much a competitive athlete eats?

I was a competitive athlete but that's irrelevant. You don't need to be one to know that proteins are expensive. They'll always be the most expensive part of your trip to the store. You could save yourself some money by going out, buying a nice knife, and learning to use it properly. Chicken is easy to butcher.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
My wife is a food scientist and used to work for maple leaf and yes, most of our chicken does come from China. Her and I have actually spoken about this many times. Her, the food scientist, and me, the sous chef, have a strong interest in food, where it comes from, what it's fed, what's in the soil etc. It may sound boring, but it's interesting. We don't go crazy and buy all organic products, simply because it's far too expensive, but I know people who do, and I can't imagine their grocery bills at the end of the month. The biggest fad of them all is buying local. I won't go into too much detail here but if everyone on this planet only ate local food, think of what your fridge and cupboards would consist of.

Here in southern Ontario:

No fresh strawberries (almost ever), no blueberries ever, only tart apples, no fresh green veggies other than for about 3 months in the summer, same for tomatoes, no bananas, no fresh pineapples, no fresh citrus fruit of any kind, no melons other than for about a month at the end of the summer, etc.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not really that hard to eat decent. Chicken and white fish (no tilapia), cut out the corn/peas/carrots/potatoes. Brown rice and quinoa, Nix the added sugars, drink lots of water, and exercise.

I've dropped 20lbs in the last month. Just have to budget your time, as your life will literally revolve around cooking and eating.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Here in southern Ontario:

No fresh strawberries (almost ever), no blueberries ever, only tart apples, no fresh green veggies other than for about 3 months in the summer, same for tomatoes, no bananas, no fresh pineapples, no fresh citrus fruit of any kind, no melons other than for about a month at the end of the summer, etc.

What the hell part of S. Ontario do you live in!?

We have most of that in Essex County.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My wife is a food scientist and used to work for maple leaf and yes, most of our chicken does come from China. Her and I have actually spoken about this many times. Her, the food scientist, and me, the sous chef, have a strong interest in food, where it comes from, what it's fed, what's in the soil etc. It may sound boring, but it's interesting. We don't go crazy and buy all organic products, simply because it's far too expensive, but I know people who do, and I can't imagine their grocery bills at the end of the month. The biggest fad of them all is buying local with gluten-free being a close second. If you read up on the gluten-free idea you'll be surprised about how much BS is involved. I won't go into too much detail here but if everyone on this planet only ate local food, think of what your fridge and cupboards would consist of.

They did a 100 mile diet show from Vancouver, and they were barely able to live on it. Try eating a good diet based on 100 miles of Calgary in January!

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Well they aren't fat, but they stink!

Essex county ... I'd consider Huron County for retirement, not sure about Essex. My brother is retiring in Huron ... could have retired last year but was having too much fun!

Huron County is beautiful. Love it up that way! Spent a lot of summers as a kid up in Port Elgin.

Essex county has some nice spots on the water, but I wouldn't do my retiring here. But, as it is, I have 25 years until I think about that, unless I hit the lotto, in which case, I'll retire on that very day.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Huron County is beautiful. Love it up that way! Spent a lot of summers as a kid up in Port Elgin.

Essex county has some nice spots on the water, but I wouldn't do my retiring here. But, as it is, I have 25 years until I think about that, unless I hit the lotto, in which case, I'll retire on that very day.

Huron growing season must be similar to Essex?

Keeping this on topic, but here we get one crop of food in the backyard where we know what was used for fertilizer. No pesticides, just a manual battle with the slugs.

Our elevation hurts here, even further north they can do better.

Leemington in Essex I believe and they've been known for excellent soil.

Grow your own and you don't need to hire a chef or food manager like what's his name.

Oh, and I have sea salt, Himalayan pink, kosher and good old table salt in my pantry.

Going to have to pick me up some Celtic salt!

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
This is the first sports board I have been on that hasn't branded what I do and am into as crazy. I appreciate that. Many people told me this was a crappy board, I have found it to be the complte opposite. Friendly, but rabid Leaf fans, same as me.

One person mentioned the only reason we are alive at sixty is medicine. Well, I cannot totally disagree, but I have to say, IF, IF we were to have technology that takes a phenomenally toxic grocery list, and turns it into pristine food, better than organic, uhh isn't that the biggest medicine of all time.

I have tried many times to make millions of dollars with my disruptive technologies and it has never worked out. Too much politics working against me, any big money I have made is through toxic stuff like everything else. I am not young nor naive any more. I understand that pollution and elimination are what this world is really about.

I just want everyone to consider this. If your food was perfect, don't you think you would be a lot healthier. I am talking your ice cream, you chocolate, you dirty foods, like burgers etc...?

I mean, yes, Tom Brady is probably eating better than everyone on this board, but even he is not dealing with perfect food. Not a pitch, not trying to sell anything. Just positing a thought, an idea.

And finally, yes, people say because of monsanto we can feed billions of people, uhh, well, hmmm. I could really debate that very hard, but what is the point, its still an oil and gas, pharma and plastic world. It could be SO much more than that. But the adjustment bureau rules and that is that.

Looking forward to watching at least, a perfect hockey coached team in the Leafs tonight, enjoy Leaf fans.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

:laugh: It has got nothing to do with God and everything to do with science and medicine. That spooky boogeyman that you think is poisoning your food. If God's incredible design was the reason humans live so long we would have always lived that long and that's even close to being the case. There is a very clear correlation between the emergence of modern medicine and breakthroughs in science and the growth of human life expectancy.
life_expectancy2.jpg

Yeah, everything we eat is poison but somehow this is the healthiest time in human history. All of the facts contradict your beliefs. Our food is cleaner and healthier, more protected from diseases than ever before. This isn't debatable, people as recently as 200 years ago would kill for the plentiful and clean food we have access to in the developed world in the 21st century.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Canada and the US changed the law on what "organic" is, I wouldn't trust it either.

These are facts.... LAWS, anyone can look up.

And actually, they just had one of those 20/20 shows, I have it PVR'd if you want the actually title.... Anyways, they went into Sobey's and found that they kept moving the best before date up on the meat, as much as Two weeks. They also found food products that haven't even been made in 5 years still on the shelf.

**EDIT** Found some articles on CBC and G&M about that exact thing...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...packaging-dates-of-meat-and-poultry-1.2851437

Off topic but you just reminded me of a story a guy I work with told me, he used to work at A&W and his boss would make him change the expiry dates on everything.

The world we live in is a nasty place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad