The Star: Are extreme sports diets a fad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Many athletes stick to a strict regimen, they claim it helps them perform at a high level or are athletes like Brady just generically blessed?

Maple Leafs take notice of Tom Brady’s interesting diet: Feschuk

SAN JOSE—When Tom Brady’s personal chef revealed details of the five-time Super Bowl champion’s dietary habits to Boston.com this week, the information was a curiosity to be mocked by some.

Regular folks made fun of the short list of things Brady eats — 80 per cent vegetables and 20 per cent lean meats — and the long list of things he avoids.
No white flour. No white sugar. Heck, not even white salt (he demands Himalayan pink). And the list went on. No coffee. No fungus. Hardly any tomatoes. No dairy. So, presumably, no salsa and sour cream when pal Donald Trump comes over for taco night.

Certainly it was easy to mock the multi-millionaire athlete and his supermodel wife, Gisele Bundchen, for employing a chef who described a favourite on the Brady family menu as wilted beet greens over quinoa with garlic toasted in coconut oil.
“That’s just comfort food for them,” said the chef, Allen Campbell. Or, as one of Brady’s 330-pound lineman might call it: Garnish.

Still, for a more fastidious, less corpulent sort of professional athlete, the article wasn’t an object to be spoofed — it amounted to vital intelligence. James van Riemsdyk, the Maple Leafs’ leading scorer, was among those who devoured it with interest.

“It’s no secret why (Brady has) been playing so long at the level he’s at,” van Riemsdyk said.

Sports, as Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly explained, is a copycat business: “When the best guys are doing something, everybody wants to do it.”

...... read more at link

“It’s easy to pack on a few pounds really quickly on the road,” said Kadri.
Said Rielly, 21: “I might not be able to eat pizza when I’m a bit older, I don’t know. But it’s not like you make the NHL and you can’t have a carb anymore because there are certain people who don’t eat carbs. You’ve got to do what works for you.”

Brady-esque extremism has caught on with some hockey players. Rielly cited David Booth, who played in Toronto last season, as a recent teammate whose diet most closely resembles Brady’s. Rielly recalled being invited over to the Booth residence for an afternoon of football on TV last season.

“Me and JVR went over. I said, ‘Should we eat before we go?’ JVR goes: ‘No, he’s going to cook for us,’ ” Rielly said. “So we got there and I hardly ate anything. Because everything was, like, organically dried crazy stuff. I can’t even tell you what it was. Like, eggplant dried in a dehumidifier or something.”

Rielly said he and his fellow dinner guest had a solution for their teammate’s plant-based hospitality: “Me and JVR went to Hero Burger — after dinner.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...e-of-tom-bradys-interesting-diet-feschuk.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jesus. Rielly ate two pizza's himself? Kessel would be proud.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/tom-bradys-crazy-diet

But his diet doesn’t work because it is “local†or because it is completely void of eggplant and grapes, or because his chef never cooks with olive oil (only coconut oil).

It works because it is low in added sugar, high in vegetables, and moderate in lean protein, and he's militantly consistent with it.

That’s the reason ANY diet can work.

These are the same principals that nutritionists have known and advocated for decades. Sorry, Tom: Your abstinence from apples is probably for naught.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Kessel crushed hot dogs after every practice/morning skate. He's been one of the most prolific NHL scorers this decade. Do what works for you.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Kessel crushed hot dogs after every practice/morning skate. He's been one of the most prolific NHL scorers this decade. Do what works for you.

What works for someone today won't necessarily work for someone 10 years down the road. I wonder how many players would still be playing if they made better off ice decisions in their earlier years? If the player doesn't care then by all means they can go for it but as a team I could see the concern about wanting to commit long term to a guy who hasn't taken his off ice work very seriously.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Anyone who has the willpower to stick with some extreme fad diet for years has the willpower to stick to their training program and put in all the effort required. I am pretty sure that is 90% of it.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Anyone who has the willpower to stick with some extreme fad diet for years has the willpower to stick to their training program and put in all the effort required. I am pretty sure that is 90% of it.

I believe it is actually the other way around. Majority is based off diet and the smaller half is the training. What you eat fuels you for how your body reacts when you train. If you aren't eating the right things then you won't be training efficiently.

But ya, another who can maintain a strict diet (or workout plan) should be able to also do the other as well. That is mostly mental.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Those aren't fad diets those are empowerment diets. I eat the same way as Brady. If you look at Brady, he was a fatty until he went this way. Rielly is a fatty and so is Nazem.

Those type of athletes need diets devoid of all the grease most "normal" people eat everyday.

In fact I deal with many professional players(no names mentioned) because they want technology to empower them as well.

My technology? It measures the 100's of disgusting toxicities in a piece of food then our corresponding technology takes them all out of the food. You are left with food better than any time era.

I don't think Brady has it yet, so he like everyone else is eating very, very toxic food. Its insane what is in even organic food, arsenic, valium, phenolic compounds like PCB's wood alcohol, Benzene, tons of pesticides,bacteria, molds, viruses, its absolutely disgusting.

I would love to get the entire Maple Leaf team going but its like herding cats with most sports teams because they defer to their doctors. Those doctors in turn hold to the prehistoric regimen of bandaid medicine that rules the roost.

Dr. Oz had the guts to go on his show and declare that this area that we are in, highly advanced bioelectric medicine, is the present and future of Medicine, well, oddly he never mentioned it again. And the youtube clip of that particular show went missing, nothing, not even a cache of it . On the internet.

Guess big medicine doesn't want this technology around. Heh, no suprise to me there, I wouldn't if I were them either. This type of stuff has been around for eons in back rooms, it just never hits the light of day very often. The stuff that does, is usually crap and then the bought and paid for press parades it around as a charlatans black box. Hey if I controled the media and was making trillions I would probably do the same thing. Protect your investment and all that.

The nice thing about the technology in question, it shows people INSTANTLY how disgusting their say, organic food is. Pretty hard for someone to not want clean food.

Imagine what your body feels like if you are getting rid of 100's of toxicities? It sure slims down awfully fast let me tell ya. Your body swelling up and bloating is begging you to clean up your food.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
It's a lot more than a fad. Players in all sports are going closer to a Brady type diet.

Roberts diet preaches a heck of a lot of the same:

http://www.naturesemporium.com/gary...al-habits-achieve-maintain-healthy-lifestyle/

In the specific case of Rielly, he still has age on his side. At that young of an age and with how active he is, he has far more ability to eat whatever he wants without it hurting him than he will in 5, 10, 15 years from now. He'll need to adjust his diet as time goes on.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's a lot more than a fad. Players in all sports are going closer to a Brady type diet.

Roberts diet preaches a heck of a lot of the same:

http://www.naturesemporium.com/gary...al-habits-achieve-maintain-healthy-lifestyle/

In the specific case of Rielly, he still has age on his side. At that young of an age and with how active he is, he has far more ability to eat whatever he wants without it hurting him than he will in 5, 10, 15 years from now. He'll need to adjust his time as time goes on.

Or at age 40! :cry:

And again at 50, and 60 ...

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I remember when players used to smoke in between periods and eat popcorn on the bench. How times have changed.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Like I said, these guys are eating the right foods, but imagine if you eliminated the toxicities in them?

Imagine if you had our team eating food light years better than the rest of the NHL? Light years better than Brady? Not going to happen unfortunately, because of all kinds of reasons, but I can dream can't I?

Anyone here btw see that picture of Brady jumping off a cliff in Hawaii? Looked pretty fit and pretty athletic in instance. http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...goes_cliff_diving_and_patriots_nation_lo.html
He is flatter stomached now, than any time in his career. Discipline and diet.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Most diets are fads. It was only 15-20 years ago when NHL players mostly ate pasta before a game.... now white starch/sugar is the devil.....

Messier used to pound spaghetti, smoke a few darts, and tear up the league. To each their own I guess.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Jesus. Rielly ate two pizza's himself? Kessel would be proud.

Fortunately according to most sources Rielly works out like a machine so those carbs have less of an impact.

No doubt that cutting down carbs especially pasta and bread yields results but man it's a hard thing to do. I don't know how people can do it over an extended period. I'd lose my will to live.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't think Brady has it yet, so he like everyone else is eating very, very toxic food. Its insane what is in even organic food, arsenic, valium, phenolic compounds like PCB's wood alcohol, Benzene, tons of pesticides,bacteria, molds, viruses, its absolutely disgusting.

There's no credible evidence of any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad