Are Canucks possibly building a super team, that comes to be in the near future?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
First of all, please take note that this thread was not started by a Canucks fan. :laugh:
In fact, I don’t think there’s a more pessimistic and toxic board than the Canucks board right now.
I like the young players the Canucks accumulating but outside of Horvat and Boeser we lack proven NHL players in a certain age group.
A little bit of good draft lottery luck would certainly be welcome but the last two years of Hughes and Petterson have certainly taken some of the sting out of falling in the lottery.
I’m higher on Juolevi than most other Canuck fans even though I agree there were better picks available at that spot. I still think he has shown good development but we need more defensive prospects outside of him and Quinn Hughes.
In terms of what the team needs:
1. Some lottery luck. Please!
2. Two more good drafts with high picks.
3. New management that can then take these good young players and build a team around them. The current management is building a good young group but they’re totally inept in every other area. Once the team has had a couple of more high draft picks it’s time to get competent management.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They have BBoeser (F), BHorvat (F), SBärtschi (F), EPettersson (F), JDahlén (F), TDemko (G),
QHughes (D), AGaudette (F),KLind (F), PPalmu (F), OJuolevi (D), MThiessen (G), MDiPietro
TUtunen (D), JGadjovich (F)

All above ages from 18 to 24 - If they could draft Jack Hughes (F) next year... -

Even though these of following are not star players, they are still decent players
and all are greatly u30 years old.

D: TStecher (24), DPouliot (24), BHutton (25), EGrudbranson (26)
even Tanev&Del Zotto are both under 30

F: NGoldobin (22), BGaunce (24), RBoucher (24), MaGranlund (24), BLeipsic (24)
these forwards are also u30: Gagner,Schaller,Roussell,Sutter

C: Elias Pettersson, Jack Hughes (?), Bo Horvat, Adam Gaudette, Brendan Sutter

C/W: Markus Granlund, Brendan Gaunce, Sam Gagner, Tim Schaller

W: Brock Boeser, Jonathan Dahlén, Sven Bärtschi, Nikolay Goldobin,
Kole Lind, Petrus Palmu, Reid Boucher, Brendan Leipsic, Jonah Gadjovich
Antoine Roussell

D: Quinn Hughes, Olli Juolevi, Toni Utunen, Chris Tanev, Ben Hutton,
Troy Stecher, Derrick Pouliot, Michael Del Zotto, Erik Gudbranson

G: Thatcher Demko, Matthew Thiessen, Michael DiPietro

Hell of a pool to pick 7 Defensemen, 13 forwards, 2 goalies

PS. no hateful/troll comments with LOL's, etc. etc., please
just give your honest opinion

Boeser is great, but he's not on Crosby's level, or even Tavares. Petterson could be great, but needs to prove a lot before getting that title. Horvat looks like a great #2 centre, who needs to take a step forward to be considered a true #1. The Canucks have some good defensive prospects, but no one has broken through to be considered a top blue chip defensive prospect.

You attempting to bolster your argument by including marginal players like Leipsic, Goldobin, Granlund, etc... does not help your argument.

I'm baffled at how anyone could consider that a "super team". There;s no one on the level of actual elite teams in like the Lightning, Pittsburgh, and Washington. They don't have the very high end prospects like McDavid, Eichel, or Dahlin. The term "super team" implies they are head and heals over the other teams in the NHL. How could you possibly conclude that? As far as teams currently competing, there are multiple better teams. In terms of teams with young players, there are also multiple better team (Buffalo, Florida, etc..).

The Canucks prospect group also gets overrated, as many of their "prospects" just haven't broken through to the NHL or are taking a really long time to develop. Players like Nathan MacKinnon are only 22 years old, but not considered prospects as they've accomplished a lot in the NHL. I'd much rather have him than a 20-22 year old waiting to break in.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
yes, because as we all know every NHL prospect always reaches his maximum potential and the teams with the best prospect pools always end up as dynasties within 5 years, just like the Panthers, Islanders, and Wild have proven.
this is disingenuous - a lot of Stanley cup winners have high drafted players on their roster that they achieved via tanking - it is all about how the rebuilding team handles those prospects. WPG seems to have a nice future after building through the draft for instance

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Canucks are still quite a few pieces away from even being a contender. They don't have a anything that projects to be a bona fide #1 center or #1 defenseman and those are the hardest pieces to acquire. They need that #1 overall pick so badly. Always getting bumped back a few spots at the draft has really dragged out the rebuild. That and all the terrible contracts Jim Benning likes to hand out.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You gotta tank to win. They’ve built a strong young group and a franchise cornerstone like Jack Hughes would really do wonders for them.

I’ve been thinking, and I’m being completely serious here - perhaps it’s best to have a completely incompetent dumbass GM like Jim Benning, whose depth acquisitions are so terrible that they continue to further tank your team? If Vancouver wins Jack Hughes, a ton of the credit will have to go to Jim Benning for signing Jay Beagle, Antoine Roussel, Loui Eriksson, Sam Gagner, Michael Del Zotto, Erik Gudbranson, and Brandon Sutter to a combined salary cap hit of over $26.5M.

Is Jim Benning’s terrible GM’ing, and subsequent tanking of the Vancouver Canucks, an example of “so bad it’s good”? Most GMs would be able to bring the Canucks back to the level of a playoff team in 3 years if given the green light to spend to the cap, and most would be doing the team a long term disservice by turning the team into a fringe bubble team. Benning has tried to do that same thing, but his terrible player evaluation and contract negotiation skills have caused him to fail miserably; he has built an absolutely terrible team filled with terrible players on unmoveable contracts for a long period of time. This might actually be the best thing for their long term future.

With a young core of Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Horvat, Juolevi, and now Quinn Hughes, it’s very possible that Vancouver will have accumulated 3 more top-5 picks, and probably at least one franchise player in that time frame. Wow!

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You’ll see not everyone pans out as expected, while others do better than expected. Perfect example the hawks got out of Keith what they hoped Barker would be, in other words you have no idea. Good system though.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
They have a good foundation to build on but they need more help on defense

Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes is a very good core assuming they all hit their potential

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
It depends on how the prospect pool pans out. We have plenty of promising young wingers but still need that #1 C to build around and more top 4 depth at D. Goaltending is looking very solid with Demko and DiPietro.

If they get lucky with their later round picks and get some luck in the draft lottery then maybe we'll be a good team. Come back to me in 2-3 years.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
As much as I dislike the Canucks, being from BC I would love to see them draft J. Hughes next year and have another brother duo take on the NHL. I’d for sure go see more games.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
They still need a cant miss superstar (J. Hughes) before I would consider them to have a core that makes up an annual playoff team. They need J. Hughes or a similar calibre #1C and Q. Hughes to become a #1D which are both FAR from a guarantee.

Thry can be a great core without this, but at this point "all" they have is an elite #2C, 2x first line wingers (Petersson and Boeser), a possible #1D, a possible #1G, and good middle six forward depth. They have no depth on defense (just juolevi whose potential seems to be quickly falling) and most importantly no true #1C. This is with everybody progressing as expected which isnt a guarantee either.

Somebody can always surprise, but you dont build a super team by hoping for surprises. They need a full out tank year that ends with Hughes and then their team looks a lot like Toronto before Tavares (who are not considered a super team either).

Matthews ~ J. Hughes
Marner ~ Boeser
Nylander ~Pettersson
Kadri ~ Horvat

Rielly ~ Q. Hughes
Gardiner ~ Tanev (both could be gone soon)
Dermott ~ Juolevi

Andersen ~ Demko

These are not saying player A = Player B AT ALL, but showing a similar build. If Toronto didnt get Matthews they wouldnt be near what they are today so before anything else happens, Vancouver needs Hughes or a similar talent #1C. After that they still have a lot of work to do and need all their blue chips to hit before they can even be considered a good playoff team.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Nah. Boeser, Petterson and Hughes can all be really, really high level players but the rest of those guys aren't all that different from the prospects that many teams have.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
They have BBoeser (F), BHorvat (F), SBärtschi (F), EPettersson (F), JDahlén (F), TDemko (G),
QHughes (D), AGaudette (F),KLind (F), PPalmu (F), OJuolevi (D), MThiessen (G), MDiPietro
TUtunen (D), JGadjovich (F)

All above ages from 18 to 24 - If they could draft Jack Hughes (F) next year... -

Even though these of following are not star players, they are still decent players
and all are greatly u30 years old.

D: TStecher (24), DPouliot (24), BHutton (25), EGrudbranson (26)
even Tanev&Del Zotto are both under 30

F: NGoldobin (22), BGaunce (24), RBoucher (24), MaGranlund (24), BLeipsic (24)
these forwards are also u30: Gagner,Schaller,Roussell,Sutter

C: Elias Pettersson, Jack Hughes (?), Bo Horvat, Adam Gaudette, Brendan Sutter

C/W: Markus Granlund, Brendan Gaunce, Sam Gagner, Tim Schaller

W: Brock Boeser, Jonathan Dahlén, Sven Bärtschi, Nikolay Goldobin,
Kole Lind, Petrus Palmu, Reid Boucher, Brendan Leipsic, Jonah Gadjovich
Antoine Roussell

D: Quinn Hughes, Olli Juolevi, Toni Utunen, Chris Tanev, Ben Hutton,
Troy Stecher, Derrick Pouliot, Michael Del Zotto, Erik Gudbranson

G: Thatcher Demko, Matthew Thiessen, Michael DiPietro

Hell of a pool to pick 7 Defensemen, 13 forwards, 2 goalies

PS. no hateful/troll comments with LOL's, etc. etc., please
just give your honest opinion

Didn't Juolevi just blow out his back this summer?

Wish the guy well, but I'd count him out as a super prospect.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Cool your horses here. As a Canuck fan, I honestly don't think this is a super team, now or in the future. Way too many unknowns with players that have limited or no NHL experience. Promising though.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Canucks have had terrible luck in the draft lottery too. They have dropped 6 spots in total in the past 3 years. That's a new LVL of bad. So they have done the best with what they have had minus juolevi over Tkachuk.

Other teams like buffalo Tampa Colorado Edmonton have consistently drafted top 3 at least 3x within 5 years before they became good.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Edmonton Oilers thought they had a dynasty forming, that we before getting McDavid was even thought of as a possibility.

The Vancouver Canucks are building a solid core. Keep it going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad