Are Canucks possibly building a super team, that comes to be in the near future?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Assuming they win Hughes, that's still a poor group of wingers. If they don't win Hughes, it's a mediocre group of centres and poor wingers. The defence has potential, but doesn't look to be an elite one now or even in the future.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
I definitely expect them to be good soon. But super team is a stretch. They'll have to prove themselves first.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nah. Theyll be a good team in a few years, but 2/3 elite pieces from being a super team

Peterrson, Hughes, Horvat are all really good pieces to form a good team. However after that its a bit tricky. will OJ be a good D in the NHL? remains to be seen. Dahlen looks like a good prospect, but far from forsure, same with Demko. Stetcher had a good rookie season, but likely will be a solid top 4 guy

Then after that it is meh. Tanev will be old/gone when that core comes into its own, and the rest of the players are meh to bad

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Nah. Theyll be a good team in a few years, but 2/3 elite pieces from being a super team

Peterrson, Hughes, Horvat are all really good pieces to form a good team. However after that its a bit tricky. will OJ be a good D in the NHL? remains to be seen. Dahlen looks like a good prospect, but far from forsure, same with Demko. Stetcher had a good rookie season, but likely will be a solid top 4 guy

Then after that it is meh. Tanev will be old/gone when that core comes into its own, and the rest of the players are meh to bad
Boeser?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If all things go well, they still don't have the top-end defence or centres to be a contender in upcoming years.

If, and this is a big IF, things go according to plan, they have something like:

Pettersson = Backstrom
Hughes = Ghost
Juolevi = Maatta
Demko = Gibson
Horvat = ROR
Gaudette = Kesler

With Boeser being a consistent 40 goal guy.

I don't think Baertschi becomes more than a 50-55 point winger.

It's too early to tell with players like Lind, Palmu, DiPietro, etc.

While the above core (if they live up to their potential) is great, I don't think it's enough to be a cup contender without a bonafide #1 centre/dman.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tampa is quietly making a super team.
Top 5 goalie. Check.
Top 5 D. Check. f*** it, we'll add the best D in the world if we can too.
Top 5 winger. Check.
Top 10 centre. Check.

If they get Karlsson, they'll have 5 potential all-stars at any time. Vancouver is quietly rebuilding, not building a super team.

Reactions: Volcanologist

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If everything goes well they might be a similar team to the Leafs, who are also pretty far away from the super team label.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Look to be a big deal:
Brock Boeser (F)

Might be a big deal:
Ellias Pettersson (F)
Quinton Hughes (D)
Thatcher Demko (G)
Mike DiPietro (G)

Good, But Not Great:
Bo Horvat (F)

Might Be Good, but Not Great:
Jonathan Dahlén (F)
Olli Juolevi (D)

Nothing to Write Home About:
Sven Bäertschi (F)
Adam Gaudette (F)
Kole Lind (F)
Petrus Palmu (F)
Matthew Thiessen (G)
Toni Utunen (D)
Jonah Gadjovich (F)

If Pettersson becomes the 1C they think he will be, then this has the makings of a really good foundation, but it's far from a super team.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
No...the golden State Warriors are a super team.

This is just a good group of prospects plus a player that could easily be drafted by another team.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They have some good prospects for sure and people who could develop into solid NHLers but please pump the brakes on calling them a Super Team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lmao super team. A lot of teams have good prospects, bro (and some of them even have...you know...a competitive team right now too).

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Now imagine if the Canucks didn't get lucky and didn't pick Boeser at #23.

Roster still needs a lot of work.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If everything goes well they might be a similar team to the Leafs, who are also pretty far away from the super team label.

I think it all depends on what Elias Petterson becomes. As it stands right now, Toronto has a first overall pick to carry their franchise.. make it 2 now with Tavares.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I think it all depends on what Elias Petterson becomes. As it stands right now, Toronto has a first overall pick to carry their franchise.. make it 2 now with Tavares.

Yeah, when I said everything goes well, I was also referring to acquiring Hughes. And then if EP and other develop well they would look similar to Toronto.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Those are good secondary pieces to put around a true elite #1, if they get 1st OA next year I could see them being a top-3 team in the West for a few years.

They're not going to become Tampa-level though.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I'm happy with our drafting these last couple of years, but there is a LONG way to go still.
If/when this team seriously contends for the Cup in the next decade or so, the only guys currently in the organization that I see playing a part are:

Very likely:
Boeser
Horvat
Pettersson
Hughes
Demko

Possibly:
Gaudette
Virtanen
Dahlen
Lind
Juolevi
Woo
DiPietro

So, a good start to a future good team, yes, but lots of work to do yet. And that's just to be a contender, never mind "superteam".
Some of those listed in the second category above won't pan out - but I suppose some of the guys like Gadjovich, Palmu, Madden, Utunen may pan out instead.

Of the other early to mid-twenties guys already on the roster, really only Stecher shows some promise, and that's as a bottom pair D on a good team. That's his ceiling. Gaunce can maybe stay relevant as a 4th line winger and PKer. Guys like Baertschi, Granlund, Markstrom, and Hutton should be discarded ASAP.

There's too much talk here in Canuck Nation about every single one of our young guys and prospects not only becoming NHLers, but hitting (or at least coming close to) their ceilings.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I am very high on Vancouver, however no one is a super team, no one knows how they will develop. I for sure agree they will they will be the next up and coming team if not this year then next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad