GDT: April 5, 2018: Does anyone care anymore? Oilers vs. Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In hindsight I don't even think Lowe as a *GM* did that bad of a job, 7/8 years the Oilers were at least competetive around him and he won several trades at least. Even drafted better than he is given credit for -- Hemsky, Eberle, Stoll, Petry were all steals at their draft spots and Dubnyk has turned into a really good no.1 (unfortunately not here).

Give him McDavid in those days and the Oilers make the playoffs every year, no fuss.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Please lose tonight. A loss and they finish no worse than 8th and more than likely finish 7th with only one Islanders point needed. I have faith in my Oilers to pull this off.

One other thing I want to see is Pulju light it up with Draisaitl to make Mclellan look like even more of a jackass. A Pulju hat trick, a couple of Mc Points and a 7-6 regulation loss works for me.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean, it is the last two games of a lost season so it doesn't really matter.

He'll get turnstiled and we'll hopefully never see him again.

I can just see Kevin whispering to Chia "you should call Keegan up, come on buddy, please!".

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Am I the only one cheering for a loss?

Maybe not actively cheering for one but I’d prefer that over a win.

Edit: guess I’m not the only one

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In hindsight I don't even think Lowe as a *GM* did that bad of a job, 7/8 years the Oilers were at least competetive around him and he won several trades at least. Even drafted better than he is given credit for -- Hemsky, Eberle, Stoll, Petry were all steals at their draft spots and Dubnyk has turned into a really good no.1 (unfortunately not here).

Give him McDavid in those days and the Oilers make the playoffs every year, no fuss.

He was pretty good at seeing the big picture with a tight budget. The problem was once the budget reigns came off and they got Pronger/Peca and had success only to see everyone bolt in the offseason, he started chasing big fish and eventually lost sight of the big picture and let his pride cloud judgement.

Thinking more on this, he tended to do pretty well in most of his trades where he had to deal someone due to finances, so he may have actually done a decent job in the Hall/Eberle trades, whereas I think Chia tries to see the other side too much and when he needs to trade his better players he takes the perspective of what he'd prefer to pay if he was chasing the asset forgetting that his job isn't to be as fair as possible to the other GM but to maximize the value of his assets. All the proof of this comes in that video that came out of him dealing with the Seguin trade when it went down. It was almost as if was apologizing to the other GM on the phone for asking for anything at all. Be cutthroat. Win the trade, or at least get fair value!!

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mean, it is the last two games of a lost season so it doesn't really matter.

He'll get turnstiled and we'll hopefully never see him again.

I can just see Kevin whispering to Chia "you should call Keegan up, come on buddy, please!".

He may very well have suggested it to Chia, but in this specific instance, it was a reasonable solution regardless of his last name.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The bashing on Lowe because of his name is juvenile.

Hope he does well. He's paid his dues in the AHL and has earned these last few games.

when the organization is the epitome of nepotism i can understand. Lowe should have never been signed

I mean I wish the kid the best, its not his fault or anything but it's not a good look

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
When I bought tickets for this game before the season started I figured it would be a fun game between two teams finishing off the season, one playoff bound, the other heading for the links. Guess I was right after all!

Came in to post this. Almost word for word :laugh:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Kevin Lowe's issue is how stubborn he is. Making Comrie pay bonuses nixing a Perry + 1st trade. Hiring no one else other than friends in the organization. Horrible in the media. He wasn't a good GM. The scouting was poor throughout his time other than a few players you mentioned which range from like 2000-2008.. He had one excellent season as a manager which was '06.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Guess the Oilers are going to double down with this storyline, given how desperate they are for any sort of feel-good stories to push on these death march game days.

Looking at the vast array of Oil Kings they collected over the years from that 2012 team:

Gernat
Pelss (RIP)
Reinhart
Moroz
Samuelsson
Lowe
Ewanyk
Brossoit

Lowe ironically is their last best hope for one of these guys to actually turn into something useful.

Reactions: Aerrol

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Been glad to watch the Knights play such a great season and hope they do well in the playoffs.

However tonight, I hope we beat there asses.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Guess the Oilers are going to double down with this storyline, given how desperate they are for any sort of feel-good stories to push on these death march game days.

Looking at the vast array of Oil Kings they collected over the years from that 2012 team:

Gernat
Pelss (RIP)
Reinhart
Moroz
Samuelsson
Lowe
Ewanyk
Brossoit

Lowe ironically is their last best hope for one of these guys to actually turn into something useful.

That 2014 OK Memorial Cup team hasn't generated a single quality NHLer. Yikes.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
3 McPoints please. If its a Leaf,Pen or a Nuck fan .... can you please lay low on the salt ... its not healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad