GDT: April 5, 2018: Does anyone care anymore? Oilers vs. Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As for Lowe's kid, I don't see the big deal with the team giving him the final 2 games of an 82 game season. He's put in a lot of AHL time (>300 games), and has been a decent defensive dman at that level. With the NHL team down 3 dmen and more high profile prospects either looking like crap (Jones) or injured for past 2 months (Mantha), it's not like the picks are abundant.

And it's not like he's been terrible, for the dmen he by far has the best +/- (+13) on a team with a -19 goal differential. If his last name wasn't Lowe I bet fans would be wondering why he hadn't been called up sooner.

Reactions: nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
To be fair to this, teams not located in Edmonton could still take a player named Lowe because of name recognition.
The guy was utterly brutal in junior and still got drafted. If his name wasn't Lowe, I highly doubt he's still playing in NA.

He couldn't have been that bad. He was a +33 in his draft year.

I'd probably lean toward him playing on one of the worst NHL player producing junior teams in the country over being over-drafted because of his name for his lack of success.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So your outrage is just a crusade about your personal favorite prospect not being gifted an opportunity over a player that actually earned the call up.

Nah, just not a fan of no futures being given priority over actual prospects.

Does any of this matter anyway? I just want this season to end.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
He couldn't have been that bad. He was a +33 in his draft year.

I'd probably point to him playing on one of the worst NHL player producing junior teams in the country over being overdrafted because of his name.

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea and wouldn't pretend otherwise.

I don't think I've seen Keegan Lowe play a game in my life.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nah, just not a fan of no futures being given priority over actual prospects.

Does any of this matter anyway? I just want this season to end.

lol, I don't even care at this point because the summer will likely be either terrible or uneventful anyway.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Meh I'll take a viewing of a player I've never seen play. Only 2 games left. Sedin's last game should have some value too.
Regardless of the year, I know I'll be fixing for Oilers hockey by summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Meh I'll take a viewing of a player I've never seen play. Only 2 games left. Sedin's last game should have some value too.
Regardless of the year, I know I'll be fixing for Oilers hockey by summer.

At least now we get to watch McDavid.

In the summer, some depressing realities are likely going to set in (we have little/no cap room, many NMCs that can't be moved, etc.) and the "face" of the franchise effectively becomes Chiarelli.

While the season has been bad, the wait until next October is likely gonna feel like a life time.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The guy was utterly brutal in junior and still got drafted. If his name wasn't Lowe, I highly doubt he's still playing in NA.

How is that a reasonable comment. By most accounts, he's been the most steady d-man in Bakersfield. If true, he belongs in NA. Maybe he doesn't belong in the NHL but attitudes like this are almost like reverse nepotism/cronyism where you undervalue someone because of their name.

I don't mind giving him the two games with this many defense injured as a test to see if he's worth signing on the cheap again to be a vet on the farm next year as a bit of shelter for the still young defensive corps, and that emergency 10th-11th dman for the NHL. We don't need to check on Jones yet as he's still at least a year away anyways.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He wasn't and I guess might be true, but I doubt it as well.

I don't know how bad a player you've decided he his based on your issues with his name, but he's far better then that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure what the big deal is with Lowe Jr. playing. We're in a tough situation and we need a warm body to play bottom pairing minutes. He is the best option at this time from down south, so he is the logical callup. It's not like this is do or die the last 2 games.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And the fact is we should be giving prospects with actual futures like Jones callups to give them a taste of the NHL. Not throwaways like Lowe.

Jones has missed a chunk of his development this year to injury and is still getting his feet wet in the AHL, and is struggling to keep his head above water. But bring him up here to get killed, right?

Reactions: RattsSSV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad