Confirmed with Link: (Apr. 15, 2014) Flyers extend Andrew MacDonald [six years $30 million, per media]

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
It was more than I wanted but I think we can all agree that if he hit UFA he would have gotten the same length and maybe the same money if not more. I'm not really upset with it because it's more in the direction I was hoping the flyers would go beings he is a mobile PMD.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I honestly think if the Flyers ever win the cup, people will still find a way to put a negative spin on it. We have the best fans in the world but we also believe we know the game better than educated, experienced people in the front offices of NHL clubs. There are bad deals that happen when teams take a chance, this is not one of them. There are times we should step back and think, were we in the room were the negotiations were on going? Did we take the time to look at as much film the Flyers front office did to establish if they were interested in re-signing them? Look at everyone's reaction to the Streit deal, well people still criticizing that deal are just people with the objective to insult this front office or chastise the team. We should all step back and remember analytical analysis is not the end all to the argument if a player is good or not. Much more goes into the evaluation of players in this league. It's also funny how I have seen scouting reports from MacDonald saying one of the reasons he is such a good shot blocker is because of his gap control and it's one of his better tools. Yet we have websites and people trying to say he is the worst at it. Seems a little silly I think. Who do you believe?

Also, we have no idea of what the off season game plan is, and if you don't think Homer and others don't know then that's just simply stupid. Talks are ever on going behind the scenes with other teams and nothing is written in stone but to believe there isn't a plan in line is dumb. Hopefully we get an idea off what will be lined up in the off season.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
well I honestly didn't see him play much but he was making the minimum salary in the NHL. So I would think he had a lot of bad years in the NHL to get that contract.

Oh my.

I mean, I've read some silly things on these boards, but this might actually take the title.

Viller

Mar 24, 2007
I honestly think if the Flyers ever win the cup, people will still find a way to put a negative spin on it. We have the best fans in the world but we also believe we know the game better than educated, experienced people in the front offices of NHL clubs. There are bad deals that happen when teams take a chance, this is not one of them. There are times we should step back and think, were we in the room were the negotiations were on going? Did we take the time to look at as much film the Flyers front office did to establish if they were interested in re-signing them? Look at everyone's reaction to the Streit deal, well people still criticizing that deal are just people with the objective to insult this front office or chastise the team. We should all step back and remember analytical analysis is not the end all to the argument if a player is good or not. Much more goes into the evaluation of players in this league. It's also funny how I have seen scouting reports from MacDonald saying one of the reasons he is such a good shot blocker is because of his gap control and it's one of his better tools. Yet we have websites and people trying to say he is the worst at it. Seems a little silly I think. Who do you believe?

Also, we have no idea of what the off season game plan is, and if you don't think Homer and others don't know then that's just simply stupid. Talks are ever on going behind the scenes with other teams and nothing is written in stone but to believe there isn't a plan in line is dumb. Hopefully we get an idea off what will be lined up in the off season.

Philly HfBoards is never happy with anything Holmgren does, quite simply.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i must be the only one whos happy with this contract..

loving the signing and the fact theres no NTC/NMC's...

now we have a young Dman whos proven to work well with this team and ISNT as old as the hills, locked down for years that we cant move..

keep it going Homer, more heads need to be gone.. keep the trades a coming...

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I have no problem with the cap hit, but the term really seems odd to me. 6 years is typical of a UFA player, or a very good player resigning. He's neither. Maybe 6 was what he wanted to not go to FA? He would have definitely gotten 5.5 for 6 in FA.

Good thing he's not old, and doesn't have a NTC.

Ilkka Sinisalo

Amazing American
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, W.A.
okay okay I get it I'm dumb! sorry I just don't like the term. 4 years is where I was hoping to sign him at. I'm not in a position to talk bad on him since I haven't seen him play a lot. Sorry everyone!

He signed a 4-year contract at $550k in the middle of his rookie year in which he was playing about 20 minutes a game and posting very little in the way of offensive stats. At that stage he was probably still regarded as a fringy NHL player and was happy to take the security of a 4-year contract over a possible higher payout down the road. The next year he scored 27 points in 60 games while playing first pairing minutes. If he had waited longer to sign an extension, he would have been making a lot more money this past season.

DaftCaptain

Apr 9, 2014
ATL
wonderbeardproductions.com
He signed a 4-year contract at $550k in the middle of his rookie year in which he was playing about 20 minutes a game and posting very little in the way of offensive stats. At that stage he was probably still regarded as a fringy NHL player and was happy to take the security of a 4-year contract over a possible higher payout down the road. The next year he scored 27 points in 60 games while playing first pairing minutes. If he had waited longer to sign an extension, he would have been making a lot more money this past season.

Thank you. I wish I knew that before I posted. lol

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wasn't feeling great about the MacDonald deal since it was two years and $12 million more than I wanted us to spend on him. But seeing that a 30 year old dman named Ericsson with no offensive game to speak of got six years at $4.25 million from Detroit makes the MacDonald deal look a lot better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad