AO, Hat Trick...Assist...{chirp, chirp}

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Steve Latin said:
I always thought Ovechkin is a decent looking guy in a Rocky 4 Drago kind of way...

Anyhow, he could have turned out worse ... anyone remember his mom at the draft???? (Sorry Alex!)

When 50 years old you reach, look so good you will not.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
octopi said:
When 50 years old you reach, look so good you will not.

Amen to that!

Also, if he turns out as good as expected, he will define what good looking is to some extent. Kids will cut and comb their hair like his, wear tinted visors, etc. etc. and the women will be there. Maybe not Pavel Bure but no problem...

If he ends up really ugly he can advertise Lay's Chips.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
Amen to that!

Also, if he turns out as good as expected, he will define what good looking is to some extent. Kids will cut and comb their hair like his, wear tinted visors, etc. etc. and the women will be there. Maybe not Pavel Bure but no problem...

If he ends up really ugly he can advertise Lay's Chips.

Hope Mark Messier doesn't read that. Oh wait, I hate him. Nevermind. :D

I dunno, hockey has never been one to market even the hottest players...I mean, do you see uber babes like Forsberg, Lidstrom or Sundin(They can grow his hair back) out modelling? NOOoooo....

And it worked so well for woman's tennis :dunno:

Randall Graves*

Sammy said:
Of course there is, you clown. He's Canadian & the media I presume you are referring to is Canadian.
I guess in Russia the media is in the habit of reporting on Sid the kid more than Ovy?
Hey as long as you admit there is a clear slant...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sammy said:
No doubt about that.

I agree, but in, say, the American media, on a night where Crosby and Ovechkin have impressive but equal games, they will probably go with Crosby headlining over Ovechkin, not picking the Canadian over the Russian so much as the 18 year old over the 20 year old.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
I agree, but in, say, the American media, on a night where Crosby and Ovechkin have impressive but equal games, they will probably go with Crosby headlining over Ovechkin, not picking the Canadian over the Russian so much as the 18 year old over the 20 year old.

Crosby gets picked over other Canadians, too. He's the new boy wonder.

In Crosby case, being Canadian helps, but the 3-4 years of hype helped too. Gretzky practically anointing him his succesor. Also, making the Junior team at 15 was a pretty big thing. Of course, Ovechkin was in RSL at 16 and on the Russian men's team at 18, (The former reason was why Ovechkin was hyped so hard in 2004)
With the lockout, and Crosby being Canadian though, his hype has suppased Ovechkin's, or anyone else in a long times. Timing is everything, and the nationally didn't hurt any.

Randall Graves*

Crosbyfan said:
probably, but he also happens to play with mario lemieux, in a pretty big american market plus he has already gotten a fair bit of coverage from them.(for hockey anyways)

Transported Upstater

RallyKiller said:
probably, but he also happens to play with mario lemieux, in a pretty big american market plus he has already gotten a fair bit of coverage from them.(for hockey anyways)

Did you just say that Pittsburgh was a big American market?!?!?
Not even close to the biggest city in its own state. Great sports city though...

If you mean DC, that's a large and extremely wealthy market, but not for hockey. And it's virtually impossible to drive in. :madfire:

Randall Graves*

TransportedUpstater said:
Did you just say that Pittsburgh was a big American market?!?!?
Not even close to the biggest city in its own state. Great sports city though...

If you mean DC, that's a large and extremely wealthy market, but not for hockey. And it's virtually impossible to drive in. :madfire:
I don't care how big the city is, that does NOT mean it's not a big market. Pittsburgh is a very good hockey market, and aside from the pirates has alot of star power on the football and hockey sides.

I'm not sure if D.C is exactly a 'wealthy' area either.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
RallyKiller said:
I don't care how big the city is, that does NOT mean it's not a big market. Pittsburgh is a very good hockey market, and aside from the pirates has alot of star power on the football and hockey sides.

DC is the 6th largest market in the country and the suburbs in Virginia are the 2nd/3rd wealthiest only to Beverly Hills. Maryland has some upscale communities.

The Redskins are the wealthiest sports franchise on the face of the earth- above Manchester United and the Yankees.

The fan base is definitely there. They just need to win.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
RallyKiller said:

Pittsburgh, like most NHL cities in the States, will support a winning team. You overstate the hockey market IMO....Pit stuggled mightely before 66 and over the recent rebuilding period....

PrimeMinister

Aug 11, 2005
Medicine Hat
EroCaps said:
DC is the 6th largest market in the country and the suburbs in Virginia are the 2nd/3rd wealthiest only to Beverly Hills. Maryland has some upscale communities.

The Redskins are the wealthiest sports franchise on the face of the earth- above Manchester United and the Yankees.

manchester united is the wealthiest, not that it really matters, but just so you know

http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists...ssListType=Misc&uniqueId=340001&datatype=Misc

Randall Graves*

Mothra said:
Pittsburgh, like most NHL cities in the States, will support a winning team. You overstate the hockey market IMO....Pit stuggled mightely before 66 and over the recent rebuilding period....
I feel that Mario helped elevate it into a very good hockey market, and believe Sidney will keep it that way.

Randall Graves*

EroCaps said:

I've been in the actual city of DC, the supporting areas like virginia might be nice but theres alot of ghetto there. One of my instructors had to teach there and he has some wild stories. I don't know much about the surrounding areas, just the actual city.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Mothra said:
the hardcore fanbase has definitely grown. in 84 when the pens were last in the league they drew a measely 6,000 a game. in 04 when they were in last it was at 12,000. this year should be close to, if not totally sold out.

and going past attendance, the pittsburgh area is starting to produce some very fine players such as rj umberger and ryan malone.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
I feel that Mario helped elevate it into a very good hockey market, and believe Sidney will keep it that way.

you can feel that way.....but I dont think the figures back you up.

yearly attendance
79-80 10653
80-81 10335
81-82 11299
82-83 8408
83-84 6839

enter #66
84-85 10018
85-86 12576
86-87 14965
87-88 15166

Their attendance average for the 16 years prior to Mario is 9,741. Now Im not busting on them but that is not what I would call a very good hockey city.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mothra said:
you can feel that way.....but I dont think the figures back you up.

yearly attendance
79-80 10653
80-81 10335
81-82 11299
82-83 8408
83-84 6839

enter #66
84-85 10018
85-86 12576
86-87 14965
87-88 15166

Their attendance average for the 16 years prior to Mario is 9,741. Now Im not busting on them but that is not what I would call a very good hockey city.

What was the average attendence for expansion teams that came in in the 60's like the Pens did for those early pre-Mario years? Half the teams did not even make it did they? I think that yolu need to judge apples against apples. The Pens developed well enough for that period I would guess for a similarly situated team.

And in the past 20 years have had over 90% of capacity plus for most years.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
PrimeMinister said:
manchester united is the wealthiest, not that it really matters, but just so you know

http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists...ssListType=Misc&uniqueId=340001&datatype=Misc

Well, I read a couple articles not a month ago that said differently. It said the Red Devils were #2. ;)

DC is technically a "district". It has it's rough spots, but because it's relatively small most it's fans come from the burbs in VA and MD, w/Silicon Valley East and government everywhere.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
What was the average attendence for expansion teams that came in in the 60's like the Pens did for those early pre-Mario years? Half the teams did not even make it did they? I think that yolu need to judge apples against apples. The Pens developed well enough for that period I would guess for a similarly situated team.

And in the past 20 years have had over 90% of capacity plus for most years.

Im not going to to the math on all of those....but a quick eye tells me

Blues - much much better
Flyers - much much better
Kings - looks to be better too....but only slightly
Seals - clearly the worst
Stars - much better

http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/nhl_attn.html

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/forbes.html

1.1 billion for the Redskins. Hmm.

And Man. U is worth 1.251 billion.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/results...ory1=category&category2=category&passKeyword=

So, I'm not debating. They're both worth a crazy amount of money. But the Redskins are the most valuable franchise in North America. And actually, in 2003, the Skins were worth only 952 million. They've increased value by almost 15% or so in a couple of years. So, I wouldn't be surprised over the long run if they have surpassed or do surpass them.

Either way, the DC market can support a team. It just needs a winner and marketing at the grass roots level with hockey in the counties.

PrimeMinister

Aug 11, 2005
Medicine Hat
EroCaps said:
Well, I read a couple articles not a month ago that said differently. It said the Red Devils were #2. ;)

DC is technically a "district". It has it's rough spots, but because it's relatively small most it's fans come from the burbs in VA and MD, w/Silicon Valley East and government everywhere.

and ManU has fans that come from... pretty much every damn corner of the globe...
i dont see how the Redskins are richer, maybe one leads in revenue and the ohter in profit or something i dunno
oops, didnt read that post above me, guess ur right :madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad