Anze Kopitar is going to olympic games

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How was Nedved able to get around this rule? He played for Canada in the Olympics and then for Czech in the WC.

I can't find any backing, but it was probably a one-time waiver by the IIHF due to the fall of communism. There is plenty of confusion about things during that time with the defections and splitting of countries.

Nabokov was similiarly granted one, since although he was born in modern day Kazakhstan, his parents were native Russians, and he and them are Russian, not Kazakhstani. He appeared in one tournament for Kazakhstan before gaining the right to play for Russia.

IIHF would not be granting any special exemption to a player simply because he wanted to play at a higher level. Those are seemingly reserved for special cases like defections countries splitting. No way Kopitar, even if he got US Citizenship would ever play for USA.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Wow great for them. They will be #2 on my list to root for. ;)

But seriously, for them to qualify without Anze is a great achievement. They should be proud.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Would be nice to see Slovenia take Belarus' role from the 2002 Olympics and go to the Semi-Finals. Slovenia must have a fairly strongish team without Anze Kopitar to be able to make it through the qualifiers. If I remember much from the 2008 World Championship, Slovenia was basically Anze Kopitar. So good on them for developing a stronger program.

So that means no matter what the LA Kings will have one players on an Olympic team for sure. However, I expect Quick and Brown to be on Team USA and Doughty to play for Canada again.

Are you forgetting Voynov? ;)

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
That's great! I couldn't understand a word he said on twitter but I knew he was excited.

KingKopitar11*

Lets just hope he can come back playing better, get some passion from him .

KingKopitar11*

Oh yeah let's just pretend he is playing with passion. Got it. He isn'tiinjured from what it looks like cause he's been skating well at times. Turnovers and crap he looks unmotivated. He isn't out of shape he was playing during the off season. Unless there are more excuses. He looks unmotivated which sucks. Hopefully Sutter can light a fire under him.

On topic, I'm glad he's playing. Canada defense looks like a brick wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Not in my wildest dreams did I believe they would win the group and qualify for Sochi...BUT THEY DIIIIIIIDDDD.......me so happy and..

I hope Mursak will be availabe because he was really getting his confidence back and I think he is alot better than people know. He plays a little bit like Clifford but he is much stronger on the boards and in the corners, his passing game is very good but he is knocked of the puck to easy on open ice. Stickhandling is okay and he is lightning quick on the blades. He is well worthy NHL.

Enough about him ..

Slovenija is going to play USA, Russia, Slovakia....can't believe it.

Lke Clifford= body contact to make turnovers, energetic.

pRisly

Jun 30, 2010
Slovenia
I can't find any backing, but it was probably a one-time waiver by the IIHF due to the fall of communism. There is plenty of confusion about things during that time with the defections and splitting of countries.

Nabokov was similiarly granted one, since although he was born in modern day Kazakhstan, his parents were native Russians, and he and them are Russian, not Kazakhstani. He appeared in one tournament for Kazakhstan before gaining the right to play for Russia.

IIHF would not be granting any special exemption to a player simply because he wanted to play at a higher level. Those are seemingly reserved for special cases like defections countries splitting. No way Kopitar, even if he got US Citizenship would ever play for USA.

Not true. If Kopitar wanted to play for USA he could. Here is the rule that allow him to do it:

Change of national eligibility (The ‘four-year’ case)
A player, who has previously participated in IIHF competition, can switch national eligibility (but only once in a player's life) if:
-He is a citizen of the new country of his choice
-He has participated for at least four consecutive years in the national competitions of his new country, during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country and has not played for his previous country in an IIHF competition during this four year period.
-He has an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national competition of his new country and which was approved and dated at least four years before the start of the IIHF competition in which he wishes to participate.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Not true. If Kopitar wanted to play for USA he could. Here is the rule that allow him to do it:

A player, who has previously participated in IIHF competition, can switch national eligibility (but only once in a player's life) if:
-He has participated for at least four consecutive years in the national competitions of his new country, during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country and has not played for his previous country in an IIHF competition during this four year period.
-He has an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national competition of his new country and which was approved and dated at least four years before the start of the IIHF competition in which he wishes to participate.

Technically it would be possible of course. But does Kopitar have US citizenship? If not he doesn´t fulfill the No.1 condition right now.

pRisly

Jun 30, 2010
Slovenia
Technically it would be possible of course. But does Kopitar have US citizenship? If not he doesn´t fulfill the No.1 condition right now.

No and he also played in sweden this season so not possible. But technically it is possible to change national team.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

The bolded part suggests the player can't play in any league that has teams in multiple countries, like the NHL.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
No and he also played in sweden this season so not possible. But technically it is possible to change national team.

He has played in the NHL only between 2008 and 2012 without playing elsewhere or playing for Slovenia, so I think it wuld count.

The bolded part suggests the player can't play in any league that has teams in multiple countries, like the NHL.

It suggests, but it doesn´t work like that, there are way too many multinational leagues both in North America and in Europe for that to be explained that way.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
A nightmare group for American reporters:laugh:

images
Russia
8625310-3d-outline-of-slovakia-with-flag.jpg
Slovakia
slovenia_flag.jpg
Slovenia

Since the most dominant alpine skier of today's, Tina Maze, was the flagbearer for Slovenia at the 2010 Winter Olympics, I am pretty confident that Anže Kopitar will be the one that will wave the flag in Sochi:yo:

It may be unlikely if NHL is still playing at the time the Olympics openng ceremony is held. In 2006 NHL played until February 12th while opening ceremony was in 10th. Men's hockey tournament started on 15th IIRC.

I am very happy that Slovenia made it to the Olympics. Denmark has six NHL players now against Slovenia's two, but no Dane is as good as Kopitar is.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
A nightmare group for American reporters:laugh:

images
Russia
8625310-3d-outline-of-slovakia-with-flag.jpg
Slovakia
slovenia_flag.jpg
Slovenia

Since the most dominant alpine skier of today's, Tina Maze, was the flagbearer for Slovenia at the 2010 Winter Olympics, I am pretty confident that Anže Kopitar will be the one that will wave the flag in Sochi:yo:

The Slovenia / Slovakia thing is so confusing. One of the countries have to change name, imo.

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
Has the NHL even made an official statement that they are going to let the NHL players go to Sochi. I know some prominent Russians have said they are going with or without permission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad