Anze Kopitar is going to olympic games

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It is remarkable to see how far Slovenia has come along as a prominent nation in international competition. While they aren't part of that upper echelon, I think the emergence of Kopitar as a star in the NHL has really propelled the national hockey program in Slovenia. They'll be my #2 team that I'll be rooting for in 2014.

TheSlovenian

Aug 23, 2011
Ljubljana
It is remarkable to see how far Slovenia has come along as a prominent nation in international competition. While they aren't part of that upper echelon, I think the emergence of Kopitar as a star in the NHL has really propelled the national hockey program in Slovenia. They'll be my #2 team that I'll be rooting for in 2014.

This + adding Anzes father (Matjaž) as our coach.

guderian

Nov 10, 2006
Zagreb

It's funny(actually it's sad), but Slovenian hockey is in a downward spiral in this moment(and for the last few years). They are left with just one pro club in all od the country(Olimpija), even Kopitar's home town club Jesenice has been shutdown, few other places that have hockey teams are more or less amateur level.

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
It's funny(actually it's sad), but Slovenian hockey is in a downward spiral in this moment(and for the last few years). They are left with just one pro club in all od the country(Olimpija), even Kopitar's home town club Jesenice has been shutdown, few other places that have hockey teams are more or less amateur level.

Clubs.. but slovenian players playing more in stronger european leagues.. but we need to find solution quick..

TheSlovenian

Aug 23, 2011
Ljubljana
Clubs.. but slovenian players playing more in stronger european leagues.. but we need to find solution quick..

We have to have more then one pro club in Slovenia, otherwise our hockey could be in serious trouble in the future. I hope it will turn out in the positive direction.

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
We have to have more then one pro club in Slovenia, otherwise our hockey could be in serious trouble in the future. I hope it will turn out in the positive direction.

yea i know.. thats why i write that we need to find solution quick :) but that is for another discussion and not here.. lets celebrate now :)

zamo86*

A nightmare group for American reporters:laugh:

images
Russia
8625310-3d-outline-of-slovakia-with-flag.jpg
Slovakia
slovenia_flag.jpg
Slovenia

Since the most dominant alpine skier of today's, Tina Maze, was the flagbearer for Slovenia at the 2010 Winter Olympics, I am pretty confident that Anže Kopitar will be the one that will wave the flag in Sochi:yo:

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
So much for Kopi playing for Team USA if Slovenia keeps failing to qualify for the Olympics...

Bu this is awesome for him. Hopefully more Slovenian players make it to the NHL.

zamo86*

So much for Kopi playing for Team USA if Slovenia keeps failing to qualify for the Olympics...

Bu this is awesome for him. Hopefully more Slovenian players make it to the NHL.

LOL, was that even a realistic option? I doubt it..

Goalie Luka Gračnar will be drafted this summer.. he is among the best Euro goalies on scouting lists.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

No matter what, that could NEVER have happened. Kopitar has already represented Slovenia at an event higher that U-17, making him ineligible to ever compete for another country for any IIHF sanctioned event, which the Olympics is. He has competed 4 times at the World Championships, 3 of those times in the Elite division. He would never have been able to compete for USA at any IIHF event.

Also, there is another Slovenian NHLer. Detroit Red Wings RW Jan Mursak is from Slovenia. He is currently injured I believe, so has only played 1 game.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Great news, will love to see Kopi dominate Russia and Slovakia in group play, and maybe beyond

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
I still can't believe and I hope I'm not dreaming. :yo:

But if I'm a bit more serious, Kopitar sr. used almost the same aproach as did Kings during their SC run. Great forecheck, playing as five team unit and agressive aproach from defenders in attacking part of ice. There was a bit of luck also, but I really don't care about that...

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Would be nice to see Slovenia take Belarus' role from the 2002 Olympics and go to the Semi-Finals. Slovenia must have a fairly strongish team without Anze Kopitar to be able to make it through the qualifiers. If I remember much from the 2008 World Championship, Slovenia was basically Anze Kopitar. So good on them for developing a stronger program.

So that means no matter what the LA Kings will have one players on an Olympic team for sure. However, I expect Quick and Brown to be on Team USA and Doughty to play for Canada again.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
No matter what, that could NEVER have happened. Kopitar has already represented Slovenia at an event higher that U-17, making him ineligible to ever compete for another country for any IIHF sanctioned event, which the Olympics is. He has competed 4 times at the World Championships, 3 of those times in the Elite division. He would never have been able to compete for USA at any IIHF event.
How was Nedved able to get around this rule? He played for Canada in the Olympics and then for Czech in the WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad