OT: Anything Goes 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I’d start by disqualifying any and all Canadian whiskeys.

No issue with me. I’m just looking for a good bottle. That’s smooth going down.
So whether it’s irish or whatever other type of whiskey just looking for a good bottle for the old man.

Reactions: RayP

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Question for you whiskey drinkers what’s a good smooth whiskey that doesn’t burn on the way down. Looking to grab a bottle for my old man. Price really doesn’t matter.

Really depends how much you’re looking to spend.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@Mrfenn92 unless they’re a whiskey connoisseur, get them a bottle of 4 Roses single barrel for about $45.

If they’re going to mix it with something like Coke maybe not even splurge on the single barrel and just get the small batch which is like $30-35.... or hell at that point just get them a bottle of Evan Williams.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
@Mrfenn92 unless they’re a whiskey connoisseur, get them a bottle of 4 Roses single barrel for about $45.

If they’re going to mix it with something like Coke maybe not even splurge on the single barrel and just get the small batch which is like $30-35.... or hell at that point just get them a bottle of Evan Williams.

Ok thank you for the suggestion

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Been sipping on Basil Hayden Dark Rye lately. Such a good bang for your buck.

Not sure if you’re a Campari fan or not but one of my favorite drinks is a Boulevardier, which is just a negroni but with rye instead of gin. BH’s dark rye was one of my favorites to use at work when I’d make them for people at the bar.

1oz BHDR
1oz Campari
.5oz-1oz Sweet Vermouth (or Amaro)
Couple dashes of orange bitters

Man! Forgot how much I loved making cocktails

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not sure if you’re a Campari fan or not but one of my favorite drinks is a Boulevardier, which is just a negroni but with rye instead of gin. BH’s dark rye was one of my favorites to use at work when I’d make them for people at the bar.

1oz BHDR
1oz Campari
.5oz-1oz Sweet Vermouth (or Amaro)
Couple dashes of orange bitters

Man! Forgot how much I loved making cocktails

Love a Negroni, but have never had that. Sounds delicious.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
For my dad. Not gonna go cheap.

So if that's the case, go into a Binny's and take a look at what they have in their glass case as far as bourbon and scotch are concerned. Macallan 18 will be a couple hundred+ but likely the smoothest in the case... if they have it.. it's a Scotch. Post some of the bottles they have and I'll offer a recommendation. If you want to just buy shelfies, then you can't go wrong with Four Roses single batch or single barrel, Knob Creek Binny's hand-picked single barrel bottles, Makers Mark Private Select, Angel's Envy, 1792 single barrel versions, among many others. All will run in the $45-85 range. Nothing wrong with shelfies btw. The plan is to drink it straight, right? If the plan is to mix it with soda, then go with crown royal and be done with it lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
So if that's the case, go into a Binny's and take a look at what they have in their glass case as far as bourbon and scotch are concerned. Macallan 18 will be a couple hundred but likely the smoothest in the case... if they have it.. it's a Scotch. Post some of the bottles they have and I'll offer a recommendation. If you want to just buy shelfies, then you can't go wrong with Four Roses single batch or single barrel, Knob Creek Binny's hand-picked single barrel bottles, Makers Mark Private Select, Angel's Envy, 1792 small batch or single barrel versions, among many others. The plan is to drink it straight, right? If the plan is to mix it with soda, then go with crown royal and be done with it lol.

Yes drink it straight
Thanks I’m heading to binny’s Monday evening to do shopping

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yes drink it straight
Thanks I’m heading to binny’s Monday evening to do shopping

Feel free to shoot me a message Monday evening and let me know what they have in the glass case. Every case in Binny's is different, so can't really recommend much without you telling me what's in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad