Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You got in?
You Bastard!

What do you do for a living?

Long story.

I had been doing marketing work for Magellan Development Group for a year or so out of college.

Then the 2008 crash happened, I got laid off. I sold my Wicker Park place for what I could, moved back in with my parents in Oak Park and used some of the money to pay for a 2-year crash course in data analysis.

I took whatever job I could to learn how to apply it along with my marketing background in real-world terms.

In late 2011 I was talking with a college friend from Vancouver that I had kept in touch with via playing xbox games online, and he mentioned that because the Canadian banks were much more conservative, the crash hadnt hit Canada anywhere near as hard. And thanks to an influx of foreign investment from Asia, the Vancouver real estate market was taking off like a rocket. He pointed me to the careers page of the company he worked at, told me to apply and said he’d make sure the right people saw it.

3 very stressful interviews later I was working at Westbank Corporation in Vancouver. Been moving up there since.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's not 'I work at a Canadian bank company' money, but saw earlier that any Facebook user that has spent 6 months in Illinois since 2011 and has a single pic of their face on FB is entitled to a $200-400 settlement. That's PS5 (digital) and Xbox Series S levels of money right there!

I'm pretty sure that you could even make an FB account now and as long as you've been in Illinois half a year and have a pic of yourself, you should qualify. Just gotta file before the 23rd.

Illinois Facebook users can file claims as part of class action lawsuit settlement for up to $400

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Long story.

I had been doing marketing work for Magellan Development Group for a year or so out of college.

Then the 2008 crash happened, I got laid off. I sold my Wicker Park place for what I could, moved back in with my parents in Oak Park and used some of the money to pay for a 2-year crash course in data analysis.

I took whatever job I could to learn how to apply it along with my marketing background in real-world terms.

In late 2011 I was talking with a college friend from Vancouver that I had kept in touch with via playing xbox games online, and he mentioned that because the Canadian banks were much more conservative, the crash hadnt hit Canada anywhere near as hard. And thanks to an influx of foreign investment from Asia, the Vancouver real estate market was taking off like a rocket. He pointed me to the careers page of the company he worked at, told me to apply and said he’d make sure the right people saw it.

3 very stressful interviews later I was working at Westbank Corporation in Vancouver. Been moving up there since.

It all makes sense now.... The dots have been connected. :laugh:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Have you ever tried to move there prior to Covid?

Canada is a great place to live but you might just need to leave IL.
No......I've told ya about my situation. It's not possible anymore.

I've traveled all over the country and there's no place like the Great Lakes region.

If I liked urban areas I'd stay put.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No......I've told ya about my situation. It's not possible anymore.

I've traveled all over the country and there's no place like the Great Lakes region.

If I liked urban areas I'd stay put.

I know. I was just curious.

I’ve had a job offer or two there but wouldn’t move there.

Might have to move for a job. :dunno:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Tomorrow is Bourbon County release day. Everything I’ve seen from people who have tried the lineup says this is one of the best releases in years. Also, even the base may be the best since 2017.

@ChiHawks10

Was at the liquor store grabbing some wine and saw one on the counter so grabbed it on a whim. I don’t think I’ve bought a bottle of that stuff since they were still in 12 ounce bottles.

Anyways, couldn’t believe it was 26 bucks for a 15-16 ounce bottle or whatever this is. Nuts.

And I knew it wouldn’t be cheap but that seems absurd. Should have just bought another bottle of wine instead.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Was at the liquor store grabbing some wine and saw one on the counter so grabbed it on a whim. I don’t think I’ve bought a bottle of that stuff since they were still in 12 ounce bottles.

Anyways, couldn’t believe it was 26 bucks for a 15-16 ounce bottle or whatever this is. Nuts.

And I knew it wouldn’t be cheap but that seems absurd. Should have just bought another bottle of wine instead.

basically four ounces of the stuff is a beer. So each bottle is kind of like a four pack.

Still expensive, but seems a little less bad when you think about it that way. Plus the flavor is something very few beers can match.

But ya, my wallet is a lot lighter this morning and it doesn’t even look like I bought a lot.

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
basically four ounces of the stuff is a beer. So each bottle is kind of like a four pack.

Still expensive, but seems a little less bad when you think about it that way. Plus the flavor is something very few beers can match.

But ya, my wallet is a lot lighter this morning and it doesn’t even look like I bought a lot.

Hard to imagine it’s almost $1.75/ounce type of good.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Ya, certainly not to everybody. It’s my favorite beer, so I splurge on it during Black Friday and break them out for special-ish occasions.

I got the fog one. Any idea how much more that is than the base? I assume it’s more, at least.

Not even sure why I grabbed it, it sounds nasty. :laugh:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I got the fog one. Any idea how much more that is than the base? I assume it’s more, at least.

Not even sure why I grabbed it, it sounds nasty. :laugh:

It’s like $10-15 more than the base, depending on the place you got it from.

That’s the one I’m least excited about, but I grabbed one anyway to give it a try. But I’m with you, it doesn’t sound good haha

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It’s like $10-15 more than the base, depending on the place you got it from.

That’s the one I’m least excited about, but I grabbed one anyway to give it a try. But I’m with you, it doesn’t sound good haha

Gotcha, well let me know if the base is good. I remember loving it before.

I basically went to a Total Wine or a Binny’s, if you’re familiar with those. Best prices in the area by a mile.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Gotcha, well let me know if the base is good. I remember loving it before.

I basically went to a Total Wine or a Binny’s, if you’re familiar with those. Best prices in the area by a mile.

Ya, I grew up in the burbs and know Binny’s. I’d say that or Jewel is probably your best bet for getting some original.

From people who have tried it already (I still haven’t, had to workout first) say it’s the best base in years. That one is about $13.

$13 for what is basically a four pack of good beer isn’t a terrible price.

Im on the east coast now and was one of five people who got to the store at open. We had our pick of the litter this morning, so I have all but two variants plus a few original.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Ya, I grew up in the burbs and know Binny’s. I’d say that or Jewel is probably your best bet for getting some original.

From people who have tried it already (I still haven’t, had to workout first) say it’s the best base in years. That one is about $13.

$13 for what is basically a four pack of good beer isn’t a terrible price.

Im on the east coast now and was one of five people who got to the store at open. We had our pick of the litter this morning, so I have all but two variants plus a few original.

I’m still down in Florida, but thank god only for a few more weeks.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It’s a Miller Lite and Basil Hayden Dark Rye kind of day over here. :yo:

So the original Bourbon County is very good. I’d have to agree that it’s at least better than last year’s version.

I’d say it’s easily worth $13 a bottle to me. If you see it around I think you should pick up one to try. I’d imagine you’ll like the original better than the Kentucky Fog one.

I usually like the original better than most of the variants. The 2018 vanilla being a most notable exception.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Question for you whiskey drinkers what’s a good smooth whiskey that doesn’t burn on the way down. Looking to grab a bottle for my old man. Price really doesn’t matter.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So the original Bourbon County is very good. I’d have to agree that it’s at least better than last year’s version.

I’d say it’s easily worth $13 a bottle to me. If you see it around I think you should pick up one to try. I’d imagine you’ll like the original better than the Kentucky Fog one.

I usually like the original better than most of the variants. The 2018 vanilla being a most notable exception.

Drinking a regular now and it's delicious.

Do me a favor and check which bottle code you have on your reg.

On the back it will have the bottling date, a number, and then WT, HH, BT, or none at all. It's supposed to indicate the barrel it came from. Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, or Heaven Hill. If no code, then it's a blend of those barrels.

I ended up with the full set, plus I bought a case of regular.

Also, is posting via computer f***ed for anyone else? No avatars, broken links everywhere, and no box to type in for posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad