OT: Anything Goes 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Does anyone here use HockeyTV?? Willing to toss you a few bucks to watch my baby cousins USHL game tonight

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I usually play with my friends at one of our places. We played over the weekend from basically Saturday afternoon until Sunday night. Thank god they put a clock in the upper left corner otherwise we’d have zero concept of time
Me and a couple buddies still play civ revolution. Way more streamlined and simplified version of the game but it does mean you can knock out an entire game in a couple hours

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Anyone else play Civilization 6? My buddies tried to get me into it a few months ago and it didn’t stick but now that I’ve taken a dive into it it’s amazing. So much detail and complexity. So much history to learn too.

You made me reinstall Civ 5 last night. I promptly fell into a single-player rabbit hole, and didn't realize what time it was until it was 3am, and had played for 8 hours straight. And I had to be up for a meeting at 7:30. Thanks dick. :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You made me reinstall Civ 5 last night. I promptly fell into a single-player rabbit hole, and didn't realize what time it was until it was 3am, and had played for 8 hours straight. And I had to be up for a meeting at 7:30. Thanks dick. :laugh:

I think Civ 6 is still on sale at Steam for like $15 :naughty:

Every time i play i always run out of food and can't figure out why. I still don't have a full understanding of the game mechanics and it's driving me a little crazy. I get to turn 200 or so and then the food shortage happens. Can't get food from anywhere else on so i try and go to war with my neighbor and it's crazy difficult.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think Civ 6 is still on sale at Steam for like $15 :naughty:

Every time i play i always run out of food and can't figure out why. I still don't have a full understanding of the game mechanics and it's driving me a little crazy. I get to turn 200 or so and then the food shortage happens. Can't get food from anywhere else on so i try and go to war with my neighbor and it's crazy difficult.

Haha. Nah, it's at $60. I checked because I needed to reinstall 5 from Steam.

Farms, farms, and more farms. I build so many farms. I build like one or two trading posts per city, then it's all damn farms on all the surrounding plots of land. Obviously you build mines, quarries, plantations, etc. on those tiles that require em, but any plain tile gets a farm. Pastures for all your cattle and also deer camps. I'm 287 turns in right now.

Attachments

• Civ5.png
    Civ5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Haha. Nah, it's at $60. I checked because I needed to reinstall 5 from Steam.

Farms, farms, and more farms. I build so many farms. I build like one or two trading posts per city, then it's all damn farms on all the surrounding plots of land. Obviously you build mines, quarries, plantations, etc. on those tiles that require em, but any plain tile gets a farm. I'm 287 turns in right now.

When you start putting speciality districts in (Campus, Commercial Hub, Harbor, etc...) you remove those food resources, right? Also, I've been playing as Rome lately because they're great with trade routes and gold. I've been able to buy a lot of tiles to expand my city that way, thinking i can get a boost in food and production, as well as keep my neighbors from expanding too far into my territory.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
When you start putting speciality districts in (Campus, Commercial Hub, Harbor, etc...) you remove those food resources, right? Also, I've been playing as Rome lately because they're great with trade routes and gold. I've been able to buy a lot of tiles to expand my city that way, thinking i can get a boost in food and production, as well as keep my neighbors from expanding too far into my territory.

What do you mean remove those food resources?

Also remember your +food buildings. Granaries, lighthouses, etc.

A screenshot of my map is attached up above.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What do you mean remove those food resources?

Also remember your +food buildings. Granaries, lighthouses, etc.

A screenshot of my map is attached up above.

It'll ask you, "Are you sure you want to build a Campus here? It will remove (Rainforest, Woods, Farm, Marsh, Quarry, etc...)".

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It'll ask you, "Are you sure you want to build a Campus here? It will remove (Rainforest, Woods, Farm, Marsh, Quarry, etc...)".
Hmm. I guess 6 must be a little different than 5. That doesn't happen in 5. I haven't played 6.

Another tip for food is making sure to use pastures for cattle and other livestock and also deer camps and such. Everything helps.

I'd have to play 6 to really see what issues you're having though. Or go through your economic stuff. Sorry I'm not more help. You try googling it?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hmm. I guess 6 must be a little different than 5. That doesn't happen in 5. I haven't played 6.

Another tip for food is making sure to use pastures for cattle and other livestock and also deer camps and such. Everything helps.

I'd have to play 6 to really see what issues you're having though. Or go through your economic stuff. Sorry I'm not more help. You try googling it?

A little bit. The results are usually just super basic though. Basically what you'd get from reading the "Civilpedia". I'll keep playing and try to figure it out. Thanks for the tips though

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A little bit. The results are usually just super basic though. Basically what you'd get from reading the "Civilpedia". I'll keep playing and try to figure it out. Thanks for the tips though

Fishing and whaling off the coasts also. Don't forget about the oceans. Food there, too.

Hope ya figure it out. That shit can beat your brain into submission when you can't figure it out. Makes you want to just stop playing.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I need a fishing trip.

I need to be on a boat, preferably one stocked with alcohol, and smell and taste salt water, and cut the bait, and bait the hooks, and just feel something pull against me as I reel it in, and maybe even cut that ****er up right there on the deck after I reel her in.

I am so ****ing sick of being indoors.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I need a fishing trip.

I need to be on a boat, preferably one stocked with alcohol, and smell and taste salt water, and cut the bait, and bait the hooks, and just feel something pull against me as I reel it in, and maybe even cut that ****er up right there on the deck after I reel her in.

I am so ****ing sick of being indoors.
You like the cold? Take up ice fishing. It's pretty fun.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You like the cold? Take up ice fishing. It's pretty fun.

I have ice fished and I enjoy it, but it doesn't get cold enough here in the pacific northwest for it. And if I travel north to fish, I'd probably just fish for salmon off the Queen Charlotte Islands or something. But with COVID... not really an option. :(

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I have ice fished and I enjoy it, but it doesn't get cold enough here in the pacific northwest for it. And if I travel north to fish, I'd probably just fish for salmon off the Queen Charlotte Islands or something. But with COVID... not really an option. :(
You in the US or Canada?

I thought you were here in Chicago. Bummer.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You in the US or Canada?

I thought you were here in Chicago. Bummer.

Nah, I've lived in Vancouver for almost 8 years now.

It's a great city. Perfect for me, cause I can hit the mountains after work through the winter, then drink beers on patios and hit the beach through the summer. Heck, I've gone snowboard and hit a beach bonfire party in the same day.

But I do miss the legit cold. I love the snow, and we really don't get legit white christmases here in the city.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nah, I've lived in Vancouver for almost 8 years now.

It's a great city. Perfect for me, cause I can hit the mountains after work through the winter, then drink beers on patios and hit the beach through the summer. Heck, I've gone snowboard and hit a beach bonfire party in the same day.

But I do miss the legit cold. I love the snow, and we really don't get legit white christmases here in the city.
I can't stand you Canadians....I'm jealous of so many things about your country. I'd much rather live there, but you don't want us.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I can't stand you Canadians....I'm jealous of so many things about your country. I'd much rather live there, but you don't want us.

Im only technically Canadian at this point. I was born and raised in Chicago (ok technically born in Oak Park, but close enough :P).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad