OT: Anything Goes 33: What'cha Drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Looks like we're only supposed to get 3-5" where I am, so hopefully that holds true.
must....not....comment....
200w.webp

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Infinity War is so f***ing awesome. First time watching it not in a movie theater and it’s amazing how fantastic of an action adventure movie it is

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I started to realize that I eat almost no fruits or vegetables so I started making these spinach and berries smoothies. Hopefully boost my immune system so I stop getting sick so often. Anyone else try these green smoothies?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I started to realize that I eat almost no fruits or vegetables so I started making these spinach and berries smoothies. Hopefully boost my immune system so I stop getting sick so often. Anyone else try these green smoothies?

My fiance and I have started making them the past couple months. We'll mix in strawberries with spinach the majority of the time. Sometimes add banana as well, but most the time just different berries and spinach. Tastes great, and is healthy to boot. And filling.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
My fiance and I have started making them the past couple months. We'll mix in strawberries with spinach the majority of the time. Sometimes add banana as well, but most the time just different berries and spinach. Tastes great, and is healthy to boot. And filling.

Yeah, I see that you can get quite crazy with them adding in all sorts of crap. I was making single serve and just sticking with 1 cup of frozen spinach, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 cup of water, and 1 scoop of whey isolate but I think I am going to double up to 2 cups of spinach, maybe 1.5 cups of fruit. Also looking to switch over to kale instead of spinach.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, I see that you can get quite crazy with them adding in all sorts of crap. I was making single serve and just sticking with 1 cup of frozen spinach, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 cup of water, and 1 scoop of whey isolate but I think I am going to double up to 2 cups of spinach, maybe 1.5 cups of fruit. Also looking to switch over to kale instead of spinach.

We've used kale also. Depends on what's on sale usually, afaik. My fiance buys all the stuff so...

Reactions: Easy E

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That sounds awful. Why not drink a fruit smoothie and eat a salad?

It's actually not. The kale or spinach just adds green color making it look funky, but it tastes like all fruit. Basically a strawberry smoothie if you use strawberries, etc. I thought the same thing when my fiance started making them. The color just looked like it would taste awful. Tasted it... and it was green, but tasted like all strawberry smoothie. Was delicious. And was pretty damn filling. I need to start doing one for a meal substitute every morning.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty sure my wife does something similar for our 2 year old. Spinach and bananas (or other fruit) in a blender. My daughter loves it. I thought it sounded gross, but I tried it and you actually don't taste the spinach.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Definitely going to get some fruit and try a smoothie after my workout tonight. No spinach though, I eat salads and usually get spinach, don’t mind the taste at all.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Glad you ignored all the posts indicating that you don't taste anything related to the spinach or kale, just the fruit. ;) :laugh:

May or may not have been intentional.

I have done the smoothie thing as my wife HATES veggies. I just find it much easier to eat/drink them separately. I am a salad fan so that also has an impact.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
On another note... not looking forward to my commute home today, and it's only 17 miles. The roads are gonna be iced up trash, and there will be lots of morons everywhere who end up in ditches. :shakehead

Gonna head out early... prolly still take over an hour to go 17 miles. Be careful all!

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
On another note... not looking forward to my commute home today, and it's only 17 miles. The roads are gonna be iced up trash, and there will be lots of morons everywhere who end up in ditches. :shakehead

Gonna head out early... prolly still take over an hour to go 17 miles. Be careful all!

This what podcasts are for.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Don’t a lot of the nutrients get pulverized in the blending process and then become non existent?

I know that’s the case with overcooking certain vegetables.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Along with the spinach, banana, fruit, etc, I prefer my 'smoothies' with a bit of a crunch. I'll add some pistachios, almonds, homemade granola, or even a dab of peanut butter. Not sure they're still considered smoothies but they're more filling.

And heat (or overcooking) is far more likely to change the chemical nature of an ingredient than agitation by a blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad