OT: Anything Goes 33: What'cha Drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've owned some kind iPhone for probably about eight years now, but I'm not getting a new one once my 6s dies. I don't like the direction they're going at all.

I'll get a Galaxy or a Pixel or something else and just suck it up with the OS change and get used to it.

I'll probably stick with iPads as tablets for the forseeable future, though.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is fair but I have the money to spend on it and enjoy having the new tech (don't take this as braggadocios or snarky).

I'm an IT professional and could care less about new tech. :laugh:

I find it does nothing but hurt people/society as a whole. And despite it providing me a very comfortable living, I'm not a huge fan of tech. Tech has created helicopter parents, over-excessive worrying, and numerous other things that are just bad for society.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm an IT professional and could care less about new tech. :laugh:

I find it does nothing but hurt people/society as a whole. And despite it providing me a very comfortable living, I'm not a huge fan of tech. Tech has created helicopter parents, over-excessive worrying, and numerous other things that are just bad for society.

I find the better the tech is the less I am on my device due to me being able to get tasks done faster BUT we are in different fields.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve had my 6+ since September 2014 and it still works great. Maybe a battery replacement but otherwise awesome.

The new iPhones with no home button and facial recognition to unlock seem real stupid to me so I might go buy an 8+ sometime soon while I still can just in case my phone now craps out so I’m not stuck with the 9 or X.

Also aren’t they roughly $1400??? GTFO

Not having a home button thing has been awesome. I didn’t think much of it prior to getting new phone but it’s been super convenient.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not having a home button thing has been awesome. I didn’t think much of it prior to getting new phone but it’s been super convenient.

It was interesting to get used to.

Apple is the leader here but from what I know Google is working on the tech to make it more secure for Android and that it should come out this year with Android Q.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I can find so many better things to spend $1000-2000 on than a phone. I mean.. I can go on a full week's vacation for that.

I hear you there. I got lucky and got the new Apple iPhone for free a few months ago.

I don’t think I could have dished out a grand on it and putting a f***ing cell phone on a payment plan isn’t something I can mentally handle.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I find the better the tech is the less I am on my device due to me being able to get tasks done faster BUT we are in different fields.

Yeah, it's convenient for work, obviously. I'll give it that much. It helps efficiency. I'm speaking more to the idea of how it affects society, as a whole, in a negative way. I have these arguments with my Mom all the time.

Mom: "How are you going to let your daughter walk up to McDonalds with her friends? She's 11 years old."

Me: "Mom, when I was 11, I'd leave on my bike to ride 8 blocks away to a friends house at 9am, and not come back until it got dark, without hardly ever checking in. During those 12-14 hours gone from the house, I'd be all over the neighborhood on my bike."

Mom: "There weren't as many weirdos back then!"

Me: "Yes, Mom, there were. You just didn't have instant access to finding out who they are, and where they live, via the internet..."

Tech is a plague on society. Even though it keeps me employed, and living well. :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I still remember a story out of Evanston or Wilmette a couple years back where someone called the police on their neighbor for the dangerous action of letting their seven-year old daughter walk their dog unaccompanied.

People just freak out over an imaginary boogeyman everywhere.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, it's convenient for work, obviously. I'll give it that much. It helps efficiency. I'm speaking more to the idea of how it affects society, as a whole, in a negative way. I have these arguments with my Mom all the time.

Mom: "How are you going to let your daughter walk up to McDonalds with her friends? She's 11 years old."

Me: "Mom, when I was 11, I'd leave on my bike to ride 8 blocks away to a friends house at 9am, and not come back until it got dark, without hardly ever checking in. During those 12-14 hours gone from the house, I'd be all over the neighborhood on my bike."

Mom: "There weren't as many weirdos back then!"

Me: "Yes, Mom, there were. You just didn't have instant access to finding out who they are, and where they live, via the internet..."

Tech is a plague on society. Even though it keeps me employed, and living well. :laugh:

Oh I 100% agree. I think it started with AIM and eroded from there. I get shit from buddies for texting in proper english still. Hell I still call people instead of text...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I am what you call a late adopter when it comes to cell phones. I just can't justify the cost.

Also, if I'm being honest, I'd prefer to be on my phone less than more, so whatever new bells and whistles on the new models, don't help in that regard.

Team Google

There's a pretty prominent social psychiatrist going around on a book tour right now telling people about this study he worked on showing the increases in anxiety, depression, and suicide amongst teens and people under 30. It correlates directly with Facebook becoming available for everyone (not just for college students) and then again around 2011 when the iphone 3 came out.

There're all sorts of studies showing essentially how our dependence on our cell phones and social media is making us as a society much more anxious, insecure, and depressed. It's really sad. So good on you for trying to limit your phone usage.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Oh I 100% agree. I think it started with AIM and eroded from there. I get **** from buddies for texting in proper english still. Hell I still call people instead of text...

Yep, if you read my texts... they're exactly how I type on here. Proper English, proper punctuation, proper capitalization, and full words, no shorthand crap.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There's a pretty prominent social psychiatrist going around on a book tour right now telling people about this study he worked on showing the increases in anxiety, depression, and suicide amongst teens and people under 30. It correlates directly with Facebook becoming available for everyone (not just for college students) and then again around 2011 when the iphone 3 came out.

There're all sorts of studies showing essentially how our dependence on our cell phones and social media is making us as a society much more anxious, insecure, and depressed. It's really sad. So good on you for trying to limit your phone usage.

Yep. It's why on weekends, I'm out doing this with my daughter, instead of letting her sit and play games on her phone, or post videos to snapchat and IG.

pBr7jSc.jpg

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Shouldn't it actually be short-hand crap? :laugh:

I don't think so. I thought the hyphen links the descriptor to the object...What kind of crap is it? It's shorthand crap.

I have no idea. Grammar was like accounting to me in school, incredibly boring so I never paid attention to it

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't think so. I thought the hyphen links the descriptor to the object...What kind of crap is it? It's shorthand crap.

I have no idea. Grammar was like accounting to me in school, incredibly boring so I never paid attention to it

You right. For some reason I was thinking shorthand wasn't a single word, but it is.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I need to try to cut down more to be honest. I doubt I'm on there much more than the average person, but I just find it's so unproductive and unhealthy. My biggest problem is I find myself going over the same things every 15 minutes. There's only a few apps or websites I use that much. But I'll find myself checking them 10 minutes after I last looked at them because of FOMO I guess.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I need to try to cut down more to be honest. I doubt I'm on there much more than the average person, but I just find it's so unproductive and unhealthy. My biggest problem is I find myself going over the same things every 15 minutes. There's only a few apps or websites I use that much. But I'll find myself checking them 10 minutes after I last looked at them because of FOMO I guess.

TBH i'm on this forum too much. I check it constantly. Just love talking about and reading about hockey

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Shut down Facebook all together.

I haven't had one for 7 years. I'm doing just fine.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
TBH i'm on this forum too much. I check it constantly. Just love talking about and reading about hockey

For sure. This is one of the main offenders for me. I like the site, I just wish I didn't have to check it so often, which is on me. There's nothing wrong with letting it build up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad