Anyone Still Believe Chiarelli Was The Problem?

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant is, Neely is getting a free pass right now, which I'm sure was true for Lowe early on in his post-playing career. I could be wrong, but it seems like Tambellini took most of the blame during his time as GM, and not so much Lowe. I feel like it wasn't until maybe 2-3 years ago that you guys realized who the real problem was. I think that's where we're at with the Bruins. People were crapping on Chiarelli and now Sweeney, but it will (hopefully) be only a matter of time before they begin to see that the one constant in all of this is Neely.

Fans wanted Kevin Lowe gone since 2010. But most Oilers fans (including myself) fell into the hype of drafting Taylor Hall and drank a ton of kool-aid thinking the rebuild was going to be successful. Kevin Lowe has had a managerial/executive position since 2000 and since he took over, the Oilers have made only 3 playoff appearances in 15 years, including the one Stanley Cup run.

There were many incidences where Kevin Lowe put his personal ego ahead of business and hockey.

Prime examples:
1) In 2003, Lowe was about to trade Mike Comrie to Anaheim for Corry Perry and a 1st round pick, but Lowe wanted to stick it to Comrie by forcing him to pay back his $2.5 million bonus, which Comrie refused. The deal was made, but Anaheim pulled out and was infuriated and vowed never to do business with Kevin Lowe ever again.

2) In 2008, when Brian Burke called out Kevin Lowe on his unprofessionalism with the Dustin Penner offersheet, he went on a tirade about how much better he is and challenged him to a fight. He even took shots at the city of Anaheim as a hockey market. Although Anaheim may not be the best, you have to stoop pretty LOWE to insult a fanbase.

3) He then bashed Mike Gillis after he was hired by the Vancouver Canucks as their GM in 2008. Gillis was the player agent for Michael Nylander after his wife refused to come to Edmonton. While I don't blame Gillis for that unfortunate incident, Lowe held a grudge against him and blasted him on the media which is unprofessional.

There's a reason free agents don't want to sign in Edmonton, it's not just the weather or Edmonton's lack of nightlife options. It's well documented that Lowe carries himself with a holier-than-thou attitude.

Tambellini and Mac-T were horrible GMs, nobody will deny that, but I felt they were yes men to Kevin Lowe who was the guy behind the scenes that called the shots. He could nix any trade proposal that a GM would make.

The biggest evidence of his arrogance is this:

So yea, Lowe has been hated as early as 2003. In 2006, he caught lightning in a bottle and his ego grew even more and he tried to replicate that. The problem is, he acquired Chris Pronger from a St Louis team that was desparately shedding salary to get under the salary cap and Dwayne Roloson played out of his mind during the playoffs.

I still think Cam Neely has a long way to go before he reaches the same level of hatred that Kevin Lowe was given by the fans in Edmonton. Hopefully, Neely realizes this and steps down before his reputation and goodwill he's built as a player is destroyed by his ego and selfishness as an executive.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
When Chiarelli was in Boston did the media have a good idea on what moves were coming? Or was he pretty secretive about what he was doing? Thanks in advance.

I never saw one of his moves leaked... a few people said we should get horton but 99% of the deals came along without any warning or gossip in advance

Alot of non trades were discussed by our insiders here

But for example the day seguin was traded i put up a suggestion moving him for ovechkin or something like that and some insiders pointed out that he was not being shopped and that any rumors were only coming from other teams.

Chiarelli had it looked down tight

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Chiarelli had the power to make moves, Neely didn't have veto power. He does now, so we need to see how it goes.

When you watch behind the b's you get more sense how the power structure works

Then you see the passionate ambission of neely... the dynamic brought to the table by charlie...

I think its very naive to say chiarelli had the ability to make moves without getting approval

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In response to the OP:

Yes.

Wish DS had gotten more for Dougie, but other than that, love the Lucic trade and loved the draft. Rather have a guy go for it, and try to do something as opposed to dying a slow painful death, which is what Chia was doing.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
To answer the OP's question , yes I do. Sweeny or who ever is running the show here has already won as many trades as Chia did in his entire time here, so yes I think it was Chia.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
In response to the OP:

Yes.

Wish DS had gotten more for Dougie, but other than that, love the Lucic trade and loved the draft. Rather have a guy go for it, and try to do something as opposed to dying a slow painful death, which is what Chia was doing.

absolutely

this was all Chiarelli. 100% (even going against my 80/20 rule)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad