Anyone Still Believe Chiarelli Was The Problem?

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Posts like this kill me. Before it was chiarelli is a bum, even though some of us (hello.....) said that no Gm works in a vaccuum and that decisions are front office decisions. But now...only now....do people start wondering if the issues were deeper than just chiarelli. Meanwhile, a new scapegoat, Sweeney, is in play. In the Sweeney bashing threads, I don't see Neely being included for the most part...its sweeneys problem all the way. Can't have it both ways.

As an aside, Sweeney is trying to aggressively fix the cap mess he inherited. But folks will forget and he'll get blamed for that too.

Aggressively fixing a cap problem by rushing to sign Adam McQuaid? Interesting strategy Cotton let's see how it pays off for him.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
By the way I think this thread needs to go. Peter Chiarelli put this team in a position where they had to sell off good pieces for picks. He's the reason Sweeney was even available to take it in the a** in the first place, and he apparently was willing to offersheet Hamilton knowing the mess he'd created.

Just because Sweeney is proving to be Mike O'Connell redux doesn't mean we need to excuse Chiarelli's last few seasons. He had to go.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
By the way I think this thread needs to go. Peter Chiarelli put this team in a position where they had to sell off good pieces for picks. He's the reason Sweeney was even available to take it in the a** in the first place, and he apparently was willing to offersheet Hamilton knowing the mess he'd created.

Just because Sweeney is proving to be Mike O'Connell redux doesn't mean we need to excuse Chiarelli's last few seasons. He had to go.

Any other year the point total from last year gets you in the playoffs. There were other ways to undo this, Sweeney took the worst of the routes. I think many also realize that NEELY is the guy that's really pulling the strings.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Where are all the Neely supporters? The guy is a MORON. You need to separate Neely the player from Neely the mediocre president. Don't understand what exactly he does aside from pumping his fist when the team scores key goals.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What's the best trade or signing the Bruins have made since Neely got his position?

evermix*

"Trade Lucic, to make room for Rinaldo".

To make this freakshow official, they gotta sign Rinaldo to a 5 year, 25M contract.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
These jumpstart threads have become too predictable. Pete was a good-for-nothing in his final GM season in Boston. These days, he hangs on the prarie, and now he's taking flack on the main board for getting up to his old tricks and giving up Edmonton's first round pick this year for ex-NYI defence prospect who couldn't cut it in on the island and looked in over his head in the minors, and he gave up that pick because Sweeney took prospect Senyshyn and then Pete didn't know which way to turn. A little birdie just flew by the window and told me to wait until all the smoke clears and not to worry about things out of my control.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I hated Chiarelli when he was here but I'm starting to think he might have just been babysitting the rest of the idiots in the room.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
definitely wish we could get an alternate timeline view into how things might have went down if Chia had ran this team for the last 3 years without Cam, Sweeney, and Jacobs in his ear.

I don't think Chia was perfect but in any group dynamic you're going to have checks and balances and it's starting to become abundantly clear to me which guys needed those checks and balances the most.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Where do you even begin, the entire front office has made bad trade, after bad trade.

The last decent trade they made was Seidenberg/Hunwick for Bitz/Weller
That was March 3rd, 2010.
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Boston_Bruins/2

After that who knows what happened.
Almost every trade was a loss and this team has just gotten worse every year.

I will always be a fan but WTF is going on????

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
you're off base if you're thinking of cap space.

you can be over by 10% until Day 1. That gives them an entire offseason to get compliant with Dougie's new cap hit

Yeah, but no matter WHAT they did to get compliant it would be ripped here. I truly believe that there is no winning with Bruins Nation.

Last year Hamilton didn't get lauded by the fans as a stud, in fact I think the sentiment was that he wasn't developing as they'd have expected. Yet now he was a God.

If they traded Loui, who all year people wanted gone, the posters here would scream about it, no matter what was brought in return.

I'm not saying that the FO has gotten strong returns for all of their moves...but I am saying that it really doesn't matter...people are going to poop all over every move this FO makes, regardless of whether it's really as poor as they say.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
yes I do think he was the problem and wish him the best in Edmonton but glad he's gone...he would have slowly killed this team off- arsenic approach to GMing; Bruins just stocked the organization for 5-10 years in one day

You can't possibly think that this organization is stocked for 5 to 10 years.
Back in 2011, the B's had a 5 year window, were set for the long run.
Four short years later they miss the playoffs and before the fifth year the
team is in shambles and the FO look like complete idiots. It does not take
long to screw up a team, as we are first hand examples of it.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
The more I read in between the lines, the more I see the work of the puppet master Neely working the puppeteer.. Im trying hard not to feed into the drama of this, but WTF. I just sort of kind of started to get over this weekend this morning. THEN THIS.....

Neely wants the "identity" of the Bruins back. This is becoming more and more clear.

Really don't know how much more stress I can take from this team.. Its supposed to be fun in the offseason. At least that's how its always been for me. (with the exception of the past two where they had to get rid of star players.) And we haven't even hit Free agency yet. :help:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Chiarelli was a problem

Sweeney is just a much bigger problem

Yup.

Adding JFJ clearly hasn't helped there cause one bit.

Since JFJ

Traded Boychuk for picks
Signed Gagne
Acquired Connolly for picks
Traded for Talbot
Sent Hamilton away for pennies on the dollar
Traded Lucic for a mid-1st, a prospect D and a back-up goaltender
Traded for Rinaldo
Re-signed McQuaid for 4 years.

Outside of Connolly I can't see one of these moves being considered good.

Executive Director of Player Personnel my @#$%

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The more I read in between the lines, the more I see the work of the puppet master Neely working the puppeteer.. Im trying hard not to feed into the drama of this, but WTF. I just sort of kind of started to get over this weekend this morning. THEN THIS.....

Neely wants the "identity" of the Bruins back. This is becoming more and more clear.

Really don't know how much more stress I can take from this team.. Its supposed to be fun in the offseason. At least that's how its always been for me. (with the exception of the past two where they had to get rid of star players.) And we haven't even hit Free agency yet. :help:

If Neely wants his "identity" back, he's intitled to. It's up to his minions to get the right guys. Not Reinaldo. That's not neelys fault. I would say he needs to start asking questions real soon, considering free agency is coming up.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
bruins fans are in an uproar now partly because chiarelli was such a fuddy duddy. anyone who put on a bruins sweater and did anything notable had a free pass on the team for life. trading a few guys who have contracts coming up is standard operating procedure for every team in the league, just not the bruins for the last 9 years.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
If Neely wants his "identity" back, he's intitled to. It's up to his minions to get the right guys. Not Reinaldo. That's not neelys fault. I would say he needs to start asking questions real soon, considering free agency is coming up.

Neely has to to approve any deals made by Sweeney and if he didn't like/agree with them he can cancel them. This isn't just the act of a new GM trying to make his mark, it seem more like a person that didn't get enough credit (in Neely's eyes) for allowing moves to be made that lead the team to Stanley Cup win. Whenever fans talk about the 2011 team they always say that it was built by Chiarelli and rarely even mention Neely being a part of it (more of a spectator).

This seems like Neely hiring a guy that will do his bidding and will give him credit for his successes while still maintaining the ability to say "it was Sweeney's fault" if it blows up in his face. We all know that Chiarelli made moves every year leading up to the Stanley Cup in 2011, then Neely starts to chime in a little more and suddenly he becomes gun shy, afraid to make moves that are necessary and overpaying players that are well liked by big man in charge.

The common denominator in all of this is the man behind the scenes that all hockey related decisions have to be approved by......Cam Neely!

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Neely is the problem, just as Kevin Lowe has been the problem in Edmonton. But he gets a free pass from fans because of his illustrious playing career. Until people stop reminiscing about his past successes and actually begin to evaluate him as a President, nothing will change. And that's sad. Welcome to Edmonton east.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad