Anyone get the chills from this?

Davebo*

That was the worst era of Habs hockey in my 45 years of life. Bad memories.

Bingo. In my lifetime the Habs have hoisted the Cup 12 times. Younger folks may remember those times with fondness but for me it's been nothing but frustration.

Only lately am I seeing signs of hope - Bergevin is on the right track. :nod:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

I'm only 20, so I never grew up watching the Habs in a dynasty. I grew up with Koivu, Jose Theodore, etc, and the team struggled in these years, but games like this made me love my team as much as I do now.
I occasionally read our old rosters from the early 2000's and some of those names make me very nostalgic.

Anyone else?

not really

habsnacks

Nov 16, 2014
I'm 24 so I grew up watching these players too and I understand your nostalgia man, it's the same for me. Some great childhood memories are linked directly to these early 00's teams so even tho they were pretty bad I'll always remember them in a good way!

Amazing memories op what a monster game by Koivu that night.

I was at that game with my dad... it was insane!!! The Koivu goal, I always remembered the play Markov made to keep the puck in the zone. I've been to other habs playoffs games, but this one is probably the best in terms of atmosphere and drama I've ever attended.

At least a few people understand. :handclap:

habsnacks

Nov 16, 2014
We're talking about thousands of people booing one guy night after night to the point where he battled severe depression which can destroy and even end a person's life.

Put in that light, I find your comment extremely disturbing.

Finally, someone gets it. It's a ****ing mental illness, not a phase. Bad player or not, NOBODY deserves to be scared to play for their own city, that's not right. That's why we have a bad reputation as fans.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Those were terrible rosters. Back then, we'd be lucky to just make the playoffs. The only players that were worth the price of admission were Theodore and maybe Koivu. We sucked.

It started to change with Timmins who drafted some actual NHL bodies who could play. Markov also developped into an elite defenseman. Than Gainey pulled that move to get Kovalev.

Habs finally became something. I have great memories of us beating the Bruins in the early 2000s, but still, we sucked (overall).

I loved the Gainey days, much more than the Gauthier days. Although that first year when we got rid of everyone and brought in Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill (none of which are still here btw) was amazing. With Halak stopping everything and us going to the semi-finals.

But still when you look at it we were getting outplayed by PIT and WSH almost nightly. It was a miracle that we beat them.

Now with Bergevin at the helm I feel much more comfortable. I don't think he has done one single wrong move. The team is incredible. We actually have franchise players. We never had that in the 2000s. Subban and Price are great and having the chance to draft Galchenyuk will likely put us over the top (eventually).

I think this is as close to building an actual cup Contender as we've been since the 70s.

This team is going places. It has all the needed pieces, and they are mostly still young. Great kids coming up and amazing people in management.

I'm sure a Stanley Cup is coming.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I remember my dad waking me up after game 7 against Boston in 2004 to tell me the Habs won. I was 10. One of the best moments of my life, even if I didn't understand it as well as I would today :)

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal
What a year and playoff run for Saku.

I like to think the biggest reason that rag tag excuse of a team only pulled off what they did was due to his leadership.

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
I listened to the 2002 playoffs online live at 2am on the other side of the globe.

Edit: Scratch that, that was the 2004 playoffs. I watched the 02 one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad