WJC: Anyone else just not care...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Didn't read any of the BS.

I love it. and not to get cliche, but you ARE getting hockey in its purest form. You know these kids aren't thinking about the fat cheque they are making; eventhough most are destined for the NHL. They still have the fire that separates them from the players that make you think (is he taking the day off?)

AbsolutelyNot

Nov 8, 2012
PA
Agreed, they should just stay home so attendence is really low and the tournament struggles. :sarcasm:

One of the TSN guys (I believe it was Gord Miller) said during a broadcast at last years tournament that he was embarrassed for the way the Canadian fans were treating the US players. Then a few days ago, he tweeted this:

@GMillerTSN
Definition of patriotism: the love one's own country, not the hatred of others. Hating other nations is xenophobia, it's ugly and bigoted.

Not hard to see who that's directed at.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I would be a lot less cynical about the WJHC if it wasn't so plainly obvious that 95% of the "fans" that come out of the woodwork really don't give a damn about junior hockey. They're just sheep blindly following TSN's bull**** hype machine.

So freakin true.

TSN ******** hype machine :laugh::laugh:

I'm writing that one down.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
How can you not be interested in seeing potential hockey superstars? Many of these guys end up being household names in the NHL. Also these players haven't been paid yet so you know they're all giving great efforts unlike what we see in the NHL from some players who regress after signing a contract.

I don't understand how people just ignore this tourney cause it's a bunch of "kids" playing. These aren't ordinary U20 guys. They're the best in the world! The skill does show. I've seen some ridiculous stick handling and shooting from every country.

The people calling the play during the tourney "sloppy" have no idea what they're talking about and probably aren't really watching the games. With little chemistry these teams still put on incredible displays of tic-tac passing, system coordination, and special teams play.

This tournament has everything you'd want to see when watching hockey. The only downside to it is the lack of fights. But I have no interest in fights so it actually adds to the enjoyment for me. There is still a ton of fierce hitting and board play which I like. The plus side to IIHF rules is that the play keeps moving quick because the post-whistle scrums are really short + no touch icing. Playing on big ice this year adds even more to the speed/flow of the game.

At times I do feel like watching a world juniors game is better than watching an NHL game. It's a short tourney and a huge showcase so the teams usually play aggressive. In the NHL I see countless regular season games where teams just sit back and play their "consistent system" game because there's 82 games to make adjustments. With this tourney, some teams completely adjust themselves over an intermission break lol. In the NHL team can sit back when it's tied to force OT. On the other hand, the WJC format is super exciting! Every point matters much more than in the NHL and there are crazy upsets and pressure moments. Each game means a tremendous amount to each team.

Finally to the people who don't watch the tourney cause they don't know the players, watching this tourney is a great way to learn. Stop being ignorant lol.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Don't care about the tourney...yet you care enough to post in a thread about it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
What a goofy thread on a WJC board, and on a hockey board. You might as well post a thread on HF "Anyone else hate hockey?" In terms of hockey right now, what else are you going to pay attention to?

KingsFirstCup

Nov 18, 2012
Canada
Why does anyone watch the NHL? They're all on the TSN/RDS/CBC/NBC hype train!

herpidity derp

:handclap: Best post of the entire thread. Is NBC a Super Bowl hype machine? Is ESPN a World Series hype machine? What about the NBA, World Cup, Olympics etc etc? I love how because TSN decides to cover a hockey tournament that 90% of Canadian hockey fans are interested in, they're a hype machine.

Ahh Internet message boards are such a wonderful, hate filled place. :laugh:

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
I like it but I view it the same way as I do U18 and U17 tournaments. Nice to see some of the much hyped prospects play, it's nice if the US wins their games but it's not like I get very emotionally invested in it.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
One of the TSN guys (I believe it was Gord Miller) said during a broadcast at last years tournament that he was embarrassed for the way the Canadian fans were treating the US players. Then a few days ago, he tweeted this:

@GMillerTSN
Definition of patriotism: the love one's own country, not the hatred of others. Hating other nations is xenophobia, it's ugly and bigoted.

Not hard to see who that's directed at.

I'm dumb and don't see who?

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
I would be a lot less cynical about the WJHC if it wasn't so plainly obvious that 95% of the "fans" that come out of the woodwork really don't give a damn about junior hockey. They're just sheep blindly following TSN's bull**** hype machine.

Now what on earth are you talking about :sarcasm:
harperq.png

SauceHockey

Retired
Jun 6, 2011
p
Off topic, but why do you have a Fort St John avatar if you're from Sweden? I ask this because I grew up 45 minutes from there and used to play against the Flyers for years.
I play for the Midget AA team in Fort St.John and the Swedish flag is an inside joke from another part of this forum. You are from Dawson I assume

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I am really not referring to anybody outside Canada.

I am talking about the people in Canada who take everything TSN says for gospel, spend 50 weeks a year completely ignoring junior hockey (just like TSN) only to become 'superfan #1' for two weeks a year.

Or just spend 50 weeks ignoring hockey altogether and then see everyone go "oh, go canada, I love hockey, woooo". I've largely stopped watching the tournament after being told I'm not Canadian for daring to utter the words "I don't think I have much interest in it this year".

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Good to know so many people hate hockey on the hockey futures board.
A personal message to Puritania: You have a Mike Patton avatar with a Futurama reference beneath while you are on a Hockey Forum board defending the WJC. With all that said, my question to you is this; Are you sure you're not me?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I can only really get into it when it's in Canada and the crowds are getting into it. It's painful watching it in foreign countries where the crowd feels like Phoenix.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
They're pretty electric when it's Russia playing, but not so much for the other countries, at least to this point.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
What a goofy thread on a WJC board, and on a hockey board. You might as well post a thread on HF "Anyone else hate hockey?" In terms of hockey right now, what else are you going to pay attention to?

Except it was posted on the main board first, then moved. This has been explained.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingsFirstCup

Nov 18, 2012
Canada
I play for the Midget AA team in Fort St.John and the Swedish flag is an inside joke from another part of this forum. You are from Dawson I assume

Yep. I live in Calgary now but I played for the Canucks back in the late 90's and played against Ft St John almost every weekend growing up in rep hockey. The good 'ol days.

craigcaulks*

I can only really get into it when it's in Canada and the crowds are getting into it. It's painful watching it in foreign countries where the crowd feels like Phoenix.

It really is like Phoenix, half the arena is Canadian.

craigcaulks*

A personal message to Puritania: You have a Mike Patton avatar with a Futurama reference beneath while you are on a Hockey Forum board defending the WJC. With all that said, my question to you is this; Are you sure you're not me?

Not very personal.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I watch it to see the top prospects. I mean it's nice when my country wins, but tbh I don't really care either way. I find myself cheering more for the Sabres prospects then for team USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad