WJC: Anyone else just not care...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
...about the WJCs, or under-20 tournament (as the rest of the world calls it)? I'll try again this year, but I just don't get the love. I never understood how this tournament seems to take precedence over the real WCs.

I don't know, maybe it's the sloppy play, or any of a number of factors, but this time of year I always feel terribly underwhelmed by it. I'm also interested that it seems to be a hockey-only phenomena, the "junior" World Cups that FIFA puts on aren't nearly as hyped and those are only every 4 years.

Only one who feels like this?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
...about the WJCs, or under-20 tournament (as the rest of the world calls it)? I'll try again this year, but I just don't get the love. I never understood how this tournament seems to take precedence over the real WCs.
Maybe it does in Canada but that's about it.

I don't know, maybe it's the sloppy play, or any of a number of factors, but this time of year I always feel terribly underwhelmed by it. I'm also interested that it seems to be a hockey-only phenomena, the "junior" World Cups that FIFA puts on aren't nearly as hyped and those are only every 4 years.
It's not hockey-only, it's Canada only.

Most hockey fans outside of Canada don't follow the WJC.

Even in Canada it allegedly wasn't very big at all until the TV started to hype it.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

I am only interested in seeing my team's future on display on a large stage. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too excited over the games. However, it's different during lockout years. Being so hockey-starved like the rest of you, I will follow the WJC with glee.

RogerRoeper*

Never been a big fan. It is fun seeing some of the games next big stars, but the actual tournament doesn't interest me much. It feels like Canada is in the final every year and winning it doesn't feel that big to me.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The games just don't take place within any context for me. I don't know the vast majority of players, or where they usually play, so it just ends up being a bunch of teenagers playing hockey. I'll usually catch the medal games every year though.

Then with all the lockout stuff, I'm just really not into watching much hockey at the moment.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
I enjoy the WJC more than regular season hockey. These kids are playing their butts off trying to impress scouts.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
It gets more attention (at least in Canada) because it's best-on-best (or usually close to; 2 or 3 eligible players often play in the NHL) tournament for 19-year olds and under, whereas the WC's (once again, at least for Canada), usually lacks our top firepower and consists of many up and coming young players who are essentially trying out for future Olympic teams. Furthermore, the WC is right during the midst of the NHL playoffs, so there is conflicting interest. Lastly, the players in the WC (once again, in Canada's case) don't seem to have nearly the intensity, excitement, or emotion of the players in the WJC.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It gets more attention (at least in Canada) because it's best-on-best (or usually close to; 2 or 3 eligible players often play in the NHL) tournament for 19-year olds and under, whereas the WC's (once again, at least for Canada), usually lacks our top firepower and consists of many up and coming young players who are essentially trying out for future Olympic teams. Furthermore, the WC is right during the midst of the NHL playoffs, so there is conflicting interest. Lastly, the players in the WC (once again, in Canada's case) don't seem to have nearly the intensity, excitement, or emotion of the players in the WJC.

All this, plus the WC being every year and hypotheically a player could have 15 chances to win a gold with his national team. In the WHJC, you only have 2-3 chances to do it.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
Usually i dont really care for kids hockey, but since there is a lockout i watch the big 5 games. Quality of hockey is pretty bad, but its better than nothing. Dont really know why someone would prefer this over WC.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I'd like to watch the WJC this year, but I don't have NHLN anymore so I probably won't be seeing it.

This is me too. I cancelled all NHL-only networks. MSG has the Knicks, which is the only viable sports option in NY lately...and i HATED basketball. But i have nothing else to watch.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

U20s and U17s are every two years. Only the U23s, aka the Olympics are every four.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
i dont care about it as much as the nhl or the WC but its only 1 1/2 weeks so it doesnt require much effort

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
This is likely the only real hockey most of us will see this year. It combines the best players from Canadian juniors with the European leagues, the best sub 20 prospects in the world... how can you not be excited to watch this?

These kids are playing for their hockey lives. Some of the best hockey games I've seen in the last 5 years have come from this tournament.

MISC*

I watch it hoping Canada loses.

I genuinely hate human beings and nothing makes me happier than an entire cocky country deflated. I was screamingin happiness when the Americans beat us in OT a few years back.

Serious.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I get it. I think it is a wonderful tournament and I appreciate the kids (and their families) giving up their Christmas to play for their country. After seeing how the Russian and Swedish fans reacted (after their teams won), I think others appreciate it as well. If they don't, their loss.

I am currently watching the Slovakians playing their hearts out against a superior Russian team - they tied it with less than a minute left.
God bless those kids and this tournament.

For those who don't like it, give it a chance, it might surprise you. As for Canadians, we will always love and support it and that makes me proud.

Last edited by a moderator:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Kind of validates the stereotype that Southern States in the US don't give a rats ass about the sport as a whole unless it's their team and winning:laugh:

As mentioned by others, it's probably going to be the most competitive we get to watch in a while [unless league comes back in 2 weeks]. And in Canada, it's Boxing day tradition

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Kind of validates the stereotype that Southern States in the US don't give a rats ass about the sport as a whole unless it's their team and winning:laugh:

As mentioned by others, it's probably going to be the most competitive we get to watch in a while [unless league comes back in 2 weeks]. And in Canada, it's Boxing day tradition

That's where you went with that? A chirp at the southern states? Plenty of American hockey fans in New York and Minnesota don't care about this tournament either.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Well if you're really into hockey, you get to see a lot of prospects in one place. It's over the holidays and the kids are playing their hearts out for their country and the love of the game. They're not millionaires yet, and if they want to be, they'll put it all on the line in this tournament.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

That's why I hate these type of threads...

If someone doesn't like the tournament, let it drift. Don't watch. But by putting a negative spin on it you end up:

i) Minimizing what the kids and their families give up and how much they care - while you sit on your couch and drink eggnog by the Christmas Tree;
ii) Starting a regional battle - fans belittle each other.

No win in this type of thread. They have been done over and over again and I wish the Mods would shut them ALL down.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
That's why I hate these type of threads...

If someone doesn't like the tournament, let it drift. Don't watch. But by putting a negative spin on it you end up:

i) Minimizing what the kids and their families give up and how much they care - while you sit on your couch while drink eggnog by the tree;
ii) Starting a regional battle - fans belittle each other.

No win in this type of thread and I wish the Mods would shut them down.

There he is. Same old KevyD causing trouble on our valid and objective threads which help put an actual 'other side' to the TSN hype machine. ;)

Our point (which you don't seem to be understanding) isn't that the hockey is bad, or that this tournament isn't worth watching (it is). The issue is with the massively disproportional fan worship for the tourney found in Canada, to the detriment of other, massively more prestigious international tournaments.

Canadians treat this and the Stanley Cup on almost equal grounds.

I'll tell you what should be important to Canadian sports fans: our men's national team making the World Cup of soccer, the Toronto Blue Jays bringing the World Series back across the border in a league dominated by big spending American clubs, Canada beating out Russia in the WHC (missing players and all). Sometimes I feel like these other things are completely forgotten in our fandom quest for WJC "glory" (when really, if we win gold, throw it on the pile...the pile exclusively seen and heard about by us).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad