Anyone else getting a bad feeling about goaltending?

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Kipper should be packaged off as soon as possible, before people stop believing he's a top goaltender and is just another guy in quick decline with one foot in the retirement home. Get Irving the starts to prove he's ready, one way or another, and prepare for the future without Kiprusoff.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
^^ Yeah, and **** the usual gift basket, this guy hasn't done **** for this company

:sarcasm:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Kipper should be packaged off as soon as possible, before people stop believing he's a top goaltender and is just another guy in quick decline with one foot in the retirement home. Get Irving the starts to prove he's ready, one way or another, and prepare for the future without Kiprusoff.

I am starting to sense a trend in your posts.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
^^ Yeah, and **** the usual gift basket, this guy hasn't done **** for this company

The Calgary Flames owe Kiprusoff nothing. They rescued him from obscurity in San Jose and gave him an opportunity other teams were not prepared to afford him. They have paid him millions of dollars to play goal for them. They have accepted his quirks and allowed him to march to the beat of his own drum. They owe him nothing. If they choose to honor his play after his career is over, then they can do that. Until then, they have a business to run and there is no room for sentimentality while trying to run a hockey club. The Flames need to focus on the future that is sadly arriving at their doorstep quickly. They need to prepare and the rebuild and make sure they have the maximum resources available to shorten the time frame it takes. Kiprusoff is still a player they may be able to use to garner a good prospect, but only if they act fast.

I am starting to sense a trend in your posts.

That I recognize, and have recognized for several years, that this team is a big steaming turd and headed in the wrong direction? That the veterans on this team are in dire need of a change of scenery? That the best players on the team are all under 27, and those that are over the age of 35 are an anchor to the team moving forward? This team is in need of a major retooling. That won't happen as long as management and the fans continue to cling to the crazy idea that players over 35 are the core of the hockey club and worth building around. It's time to move on and start looking toward a new team with new stars.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Checked out the game logs this morning, and Kipper hasn't allowed 4 or more goals in 3 straight starts since 08/09.

Although his numbers against the 'Nucks aren't great, but they're missing some firepower at the moment.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The Calgary Flames owe Kiprusoff nothing. They rescued him from obscurity in San Jose and gave him an opportunity other teams were not prepared to afford him. They have paid him millions of dollars to play goal for them. They have accepted his quirks and allowed him to march to the beat of his own drum. They owe him nothing. If they choose to honor his play after his career is over, then they can do that. Until then, they have a business to run and there is no room for sentimentality while trying to run a hockey club. The Flames need to focus on the future that is sadly arriving at their doorstep quickly. They need to prepare and the rebuild and make sure they have the maximum resources available to shorten the time frame it takes. Kiprusoff is still a player they may be able to use to garner a good prospect, but only if they act fast.

That I recognize, and have recognized for several years, that this team is a big steaming turd and headed in the wrong direction? That the veterans on this team are in dire need of a change of scenery? That the best players on the team are all under 27, and those that are over the age of 35 are an anchor to the team moving forward? This team is in need of a major retooling. That won't happen as long as management and the fans continue to cling to the crazy idea that players over 35 are the core of the hockey club and worth building around. It's time to move on and start looking toward a new team with new stars.

But tell us how you really feel :sarcasm:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Agreed with you there, he looked solid. Not amazing yet but had some very good stops.

Much less worried now.

Everyone freaks after two games for a goaltender who has been fairly elite his whole carerr, then all is fine after one good game.

Especially a postion that is very random over short periods of time, even longer periods.

(sigh)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm getting the feeling that Kipper is the kind of goalie that gets tense when things open up and knee-jerks his saves rather than calmy positioning himself to provide simpler saves. That first shoot-out attempt was an example as he went down early and didn't have his feet against the posts.

But he's proably shaking off the rust. He was much better yesterday, but still not his normal self.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Everyone freaks after two games for a goaltender who has been fairly elite his whole carerr, then all is fine after one good game.

Especially a postion that is very random over short periods of time, even longer periods.

(sigh)

Kindly show me where I freaked out.

I said he looked rusty through the first two, which he did. That I hoped he would bounce back or we would be in trouble.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd like irving to get a start either next game or the one after.

I don't think the oilers would be the best team to start against they have a ton of fire power and it will be a really open game, I wanted him to start last night as outside of the Twins the Canucks don't have a real offensive roster right now.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I'm getting the feeling that Kipper is the kind of goalie that gets tense when things open up and knee-jerks his saves rather than calmy positioning himself to provide simpler saves. That first shoot-out attempt was an example as he went down early and didn't have his feet against the posts.

But he's proably shaking off the rust. He was much better yesterday, but still not his normal self.

From my experience paying extremely close attention to the way he plays over the last 6-7 years, as I model my own game after his, even though I very specifically tell the kids I coach not to as it is definitely not the easiest style to learn, is that when he is on, which he was last night, his vision is perfect, traffic doesn't matter, he finds the puck, and his positioning is damn near flawless.

Where he runs into trouble as he did in the first two is when he loses his rebounds, because his game is based almost solely on reading the play and reacting to how he believes it will turn out, if he is wrong, or is off his game he can be made to look foolish. This is where he ran into trouble against SJ and ANA, he read the plays poorly, and had no control over his rebounds.

His style of play does not lend well to shootouts because instead of reading the play he must read a single player and react to him. Unfortunately, the downfall of Kiprusoff is unless he knows that players tendencies in shootouts, he pretty well always reacts to the first fake. It's his downfall, NHL players are incredibly good at shoulder and head fakes, and if your not good at seeing them, ultimately you'll fail, just the way it is. One thing you should know about Kipper is he spends more time in the video room than any other goalie in the NHL, he KNOWS the opposition and their tendencies so during the game he knows what they will do before they do it. It's why he's always in position.

I think it was Kassians goal last night where he fanned on the puck then pulled it over and scored, but that's when Kiprusoffs game became sloppy, he knew Kassian would shoot, but Kassian recovered from it faster than Kipper could and scored. From how he played last night, three things he did showed he was playing like we've come to expect, 1) He caught pucks 1 foot in front of his chest before they got to him, even though if it hit him in the chest he could have just swallowed it up. That shows me he was so focused on the puck, that he was going to determine how it played out. 2) Several times he made big saves of large deflections (didn't know how to say it but deflections that severely changed the location of the puck) Goalies only make these saves when they see the deflection as its happening or before, because they happen to quick to react to. and 3) His puck handling, it was cool, confident and crisp, when he is not on his game, it is sloppy, inconsistent, and often rushed, last night he was engaging himself on the breakout and actually looking for deep passes on the Powerplays, that shows me he was confident in his ability and more importantly, in his teammates.

Last edited:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Kindly show me where I freaked out.

I said he looked rusty through the first two, which he did. That I hoped he would bounce back or we would be in trouble.

You said you were "much less worried now" which means you "were worried". After two games.

Nuff said.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011

That's more "rust" than anything. Kiprusoff is an athletic goaltender who's passive in shootouts. The last couple years, he's gotten better as he became more aggressive, challenging with pokechecks and forcing weak shots into his legs. Last night's Kiprusoff in the shootout looked like 30 year old Kiprusoff.

I suspect as the season wears on, he'll get more comfortable with his system again and will get better.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
That's more "rust" than anything. Kiprusoff is an athletic goaltender who's passive in shootouts. The last couple years, he's gotten better as he became more aggressive, challenging with pokechecks and forcing weak shots into his legs. Last night's Kiprusoff in the shootout looked like 30 year old Kiprusoff.

I suspect as the season wears on, he'll get more comfortable with his system again and will get better.

I'm surprised he needs to re-learn everything each year.

Is this common for all players, or just goaltenders, or just the Flames?

Last edited:

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Just going to throw it out there, but you guys could always significantly overpay to acquire an established goalie from a division rival...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: