HF Habs: Anyone else completely losing interest in the Team?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Therrien wasn't getting fired because Bergevin always thought he was doing a great job. See Lefebvre. He was forced to fire him because the team was downward spiralling again and rumours say Price led a mutiny. People also forget that he fired Therrien prior to Julien getting fired. That's why he reached out to Florida for Gerard Gallant (who doesn't speak French).

Personally I think everyone in the organization should learn how to speak french, mostly because I think everyone in Canada should be bilingual. But I also think it's something you can learn on the job, like many of the players do. Every candidate is available to the team because every candidate can learn French when they get here. I don't know why it isn't just looked at that way.

Yah but habs interviewed a few Anglophone guys for GM job too...what do you know.

For what it's worth, I'm 100% okay with a coach coming here and being told to try and get acclimated with the culture, learn some French on time off, specifically summer.

I'm all for everyone in Canada being bilingual although that's because I think knowledge is power. If someone in Vancouver learns English and mandarin that's fine by me, doesn't need to be French. In Quebec? needs to be English & French. A good case could be made for Ontario as well. Still that's kind of beyond my level here. I don't know enough about the school systems in other provinces to give a fair answer. Just knowledge is a good thing, so if it can fit, why not?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Coaches hired by the same team twice that I can recall.

Julien
Therrien
Hitchcock (won cup first time)
Nielson

Maurice in Carolina.

It happens. I just don't think it's ever happened back to back coaches in an organization.

hey, maybe I'm wrong but if any team in the CFL, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB ever hired a coach they already had back to back(MT/CJ style) I think habs are only one in history.

Reactions: PaulD

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It'll be that much sweeter when better days will be upon us. Whenever it is that they'll come.
giphy.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
this is the correct answer.

Whether the team is good or not I cant remember the last time missed a game.

There is no "correct" answer. Everyone is entitled to be a fan in the manner they see fit. It's an all-inclusive club, no one gets to make definitive determinations, nor remove allegiances that in many cases, are decades old. You can't tell someone they're not entitled to hold on to their childhood team, just cause they want to take a sabbatical from the condescending and non-entertaining shit-show that ownership and management are content to put out.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
I remember watching this for the first time and having goosebumps (Therrien or not). Now, haven't watched a single game this season and I'm not going to.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Once upon a time I PVR'd every game.
It's incredible how much stuff you miss when wearing your fan hat.
Then we got the second coming starting with MT. At the end of his first full season I stopped doing it because it was like Groundhog Day watching the same games over and over again. I know a lot of people were pleased with Da Record but I honestly never was.
I didn't get the impression we were improving at all (except for the Vanek move) Despite how it ended there was a period of time where the Habs were going globetrotter on our opponents. I still can't figure out why MB turtled after that season? :huh:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Once upon a time I PVR'd every game.
It's incredible how much stuff you miss when wearing your fan hat.
Then we got the second coming starting with MT. At the end of his first full season I stopped doing it because it was like Groundhog Day watching the same games over and over again. I know a lot of people were pleased with Da Record but I honestly never was.
I didn't get the impression we were improving at all (except for the Vanek move) Despite how it ended there was a period of time where the Habs were going globetrotter on our opponents. I still can't figure out why MB turtled after that season? :huh:
Being a fan is many things but mainly it's a habit and like any habit if you try hard enough you can break it. I used to schedule my entire life around the Habs' schedule so that I wouldn't miss a game. Today I'll only watch them play if I literally have nothing better to do, which isn't often. And on the rare occasions when I do watch a game in its entirety I often spend a lot of it with my head down looking at a computer screen rather than watching the action. The Habs for me nowadays are just background noise. If I hear a goal siren I'll lift my head and watch the replay. Other than that I'm not bothered. This team as it is currently being run, gives me no reason to invest any more of my time in it.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Maurice in Carolina.

It happens. I just don't think it's ever happened back to back coaches in an organization.

hey, maybe I'm wrong but if any team in the CFL, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB ever hired a coach they already had back to back(MT/CJ style) I think habs are only one in history.
You have to include euro teams in different sports, rugby included.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Being a fan is many things but mainly it's a habit and like any habit if you try hard enough you can break it. I used to schedule my entire life around the Habs' schedule so that I wouldn't miss a game. Today I'll only watch them play if I literally have nothing better to do, which isn't often. And on the rare occasions when I do watch a game in its entirety I often spend a lot of it with my head down looking at a computer screen rather than watching the action. The Habs for me nowadays are just background noise. If I hear a goal siren I'll lift my head and watch the replay. Other than that I'm not bothered. This team as it is currently being run, gives me no reason to invest any more of my time in it.
This post hits home.

I started watching the habs that way in 015.
Now they are not even back ground noise anymore. The simply aren't on at my house.. I have the Jets game on, or Pens, Preds game or Bruins game on instead........The Habs don't even offer good back ground noise anymore. Check scores on my phone. I refer to them as Gallagher updates.

Just as players get cut from teams. Can only justify so much time in front of a TV screen. Got to be selective. ..........So MBs squad got cut.

Get this. Habs Leafs game a couple of weeks ago....... the wife and I watched Fargo on net flicks instead. Needless to say she loves the new Habs. I never would have believed in a million years that could be so.
Looking forward to play offs though. Cup is up for grabs. :stanley:

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There is no "correct" answer. Everyone is entitled to be a fan in the manner they see fit. It's an all-inclusive club, no one gets to make definitive determinations, nor remove allegiances that in many cases, are decades old. You can't tell someone they're not entitled to hold on to their childhood team, just cause they want to take a sabbatical from the condescending and non-entertaining ****-show that ownership and management are content to put out.

One of the reasons I still frequent this board after such an awful, self-immolating season is posts like this one.

Reactions: Runner77

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I was at that game. Best live event I ever attended, bar none.
"I was at that game Best live event I ever attended bar none" That line left me speechless for a few seconds. I just stared at it. :laugh:

The Montreal Forum. Good Friday 1984. Canadiens vs Noriques. Awesome that you were there. I would get your autograph if you told me that in person. :laugh:

One of my favorite games of all time. Friend taped it so I watched it many times over the next few years and loved it each time.

That is a piece of history you share with a great Canadiens team !

Still remember where i was and who I watched it with.

Hated Nords lead 2-0. All the brawls broke out. Steve Shutt scores 2 goals to tie it up. Rick Green scores. Carbs scores. Chabot scores. Habs win 5-2 and go on to win series !!!

Hunter brothers started to go at each other . ha!

Trembly broke P Statsnys nose.

Nilan ignited the second brawl.

All while Hamel lay motionless on the ice from a sucker punch by Thelvin.
**** correction by Catanddogguitar***** ..not Thelvin. Sucker punch that ignited Good Friday Brawl was thrown by Louis Sliegher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I don't think I have ever seen this board have less interest in all things habs.

I've been here for 13 years and it's also the worse I've seen it. Too many of the regulars that were here for the past few years seem to have disappeared. If MB stays for much longer there won't be anyone left on this board other than the handful of MB supporters still left and I'm not even sure they're really supporters of him anymore and are just trolling.

As long as the Bell Centre keeps bringing in the high profits I doubt Molson even cares what fans think of the on ice product. I wonder how long Molson will have to wait until he see's some playoff revenue again? The Habs are getting left behind in today's NHL with so many teams having highly skilled young players currently on their teams and more on the way. Must be nice..

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
One of the reasons I still frequent this board after such an awful, self-immolating season is posts like this one.
Get a room, you two.:naughty:

Best memory of live habs playoff game I ever saw was 1986 game 7 vs Hartford. I was in the rafters. Lemieux backhand upstairs beats liut . He was a playoff monster. Every time richer carried the puck people lifted out of their seats.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1