Value of: Anybody on Minnesota not named Dumba

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I imagine then the Leafs would be willing to send Kapanen and also a pick or a decent prospect (likely not Liljegren or Sandin but pretty much anyone else in the system) as well for Spurgeon.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that the Wild especially need?

The Wild need scoring, first and foremost. Preferably that scoring comes from a right handed center or right winger, but honestly we just need someone who can make an impact.
Understanding that we don't necessarily have the assets to get the player we truly need, we just need someone who can be consistent with effort every night and chip in some points and goals.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Truthfully, how much of his production is his actual ability vs. a result of playing in that top 6 in Nylander's absense?

He'd be one of the faster players on the roster, but that wouldn't hold him back. It's a question of whether or not he can really be an impactful player in our top 6 vs whether or not he'd be another Coyle/Nino level player who can be moved between second and third line and you never really feel their impact most nights.
If he is able to put up 11 goals and 21 points in 29 games then shouldn't he be top-6? The guy has earned the ice-time he has gotten in my opinion. Kapenen isn't exactly a natural grinder (although he can kill penalties now), he was drafted in the 1st round at #22 in 2014, so there was always upside to him, it looks like he is making good on it now.

If not him then what would the core piece going back to the Wild for Spurgeon be then in your opinion? Matthews, Marner and Nylander are way out of budget for him and Kadri is also unlikely, especially given his low cap hit (which a cap-strapped team like Toronto desperately needs). Rielly obviously isn't going, Gardiner is sure to walk at the end of this season for a fat UFA contract, Dermott likely wouldn't be enough and I can't imagine the Wild would want Zaitsev in the return package.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If I were a Wild fan I would likely do Suter for Ghost. Suter is undoubtedly better now, but at 33 he is getting long in the tooth and you have to wonder how long he can continue to be a top-10 defender in the NHL. Ghost, despite his challenges this year just oozes talent.
Ghost looks like a liability in the d zone and the reason I ask why is because why would Philly do that. Ghost is 8 years younger and a portion of the cap hit.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he is able to put up 11 goals and 21 points in 29 games then shouldn't he be top-6? The guy has earned the ice-time he has gotten in my opinion. Kapenen isn't exactly a natural grinder (although he can kill penalties now), he was drafted in the 1st round at #22 in 2014, so there was always upside to him, it looks like he is making good on it now.

A lot of complimentary and secondary players can put up 21 points in a 29 game span when playing with guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares. It doesn't mean he's truly a guy capable of putting up 60 points consistently for the rest of his career no matter who he plays with. In fact I'd be willing to bet his production drops without those guys. It's a question of how much it drops.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

If not him then what would the core piece going back to the Wild for Spurgeon be then in your opinion? Matthews, Marner and Nylander are way out of budget for him and Kadri is also unlikely, especially given his low cap hit (which a cap-strapped team like Toronto desperately needs).
How much is Kapanen a product of Matthews?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
A lot of complimentary and secondary players can put up 21 points in a 29 game span when playing with guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares. It doesn't mean he's truly a guy capable of putting up 60 points consistently for the rest of his career no matter who he plays with. In fact I'd be willing to bet his production drops without those guys. It's a question of how much it drops.
There are indeed Colby Armstrongs, however there are the inverse examples like Artemi Panarin. It is up to a GM and coach to be able to figure out which one a player is.

With Kapenen, it looks like he has the key tools (blazing speed, good hands) to be a good top-6 guy even with less then a super-star centre, but we won't ever know until we see it first hand.

I don't really know who else from Toronto roster makes sense going back for Spurgeon as the core piece in a deal (picks, and prospects can move as well), given what Minnisota is and Spurgeon value, as well as Toronto's cap situation and roster needs.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I don‘t think the leafs trade Kapanen.
After the bonus next season Nylander will be gone for a D and cap space and they keep Kapanen.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Suter is a better allaround d who can be part of a shutdown pair in Playoffs ghost great o but ? D at times

It doesn't make sense for us to trade Suter unless we're committed to a full rebuild, and if that's the case, it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade him for Gostisbehere, we could get assets that better align with our long term goals than him.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

There's definitely chemistry there, Matthews has been involved in 9 of Kapanen's 21 points. Kapanen brings elite speed and a nice finishing ability, which will mesh well with any players you put him with. Matthews has certainly appreciated having Kapanen as a temporary Nylander replacement, and Babcock was quick to put Kappy back on Matthews wing Thursday night in the third. Kappy is a decent playmaker, but he's almost certainly benefited a few assists from giving Matthews the puck and watching magic happen. All of Kappy's points are ES, except for 1 shorthanded goal, so he hasn't benefited at all from Matthews on the Leafs strong PP. No doubt that any player will benefit from playing with a star, but Kapanen's attributes add to the line's success, he's not just a random body who clicks with a guy.

10 ES goals is 20th in the league, 10 ES assists is 67th. That's pretty good first line production, so even if you discount him a little for playing with Matthews he's clearly a top6 forward today. He's not elite, and he's not a clear first liner yet, but he's able to create offense using his own skillset. Particularly with his ES numbers/lack of PP points, his production is respectable even without Matthews.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Suter isn't waiving until its 100% clear that we're going in a direction that he's not going to like.
I wonder if he even waves then. Also wonder if Suter will let this team go in that direction. I wonder even more if Leipold will let this team rebuild.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
just Greenway.

what is the ask from NYR?

Greenway is not the issue and he's not someone we should be trading away at this time unless it's in a package for a clear upgrade in top 6 scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad