Value of: Anybody on Minnesota not named Dumba

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t want to overreact to a small sample size, and I’m sure Minnesota can pull through this and make the playoffs, but it feels like every other year since 2012.

I’m sick of watching a team that shows spurts of putting it together, but doesn’t have the star power to compete with skilled teams.

At this point I’m just interested to see what our players could return in a sell-off type scenario. I think we could return some assets that would lead us being a good team a few years down the line.

What would you give up(looking for prospects and picks) for Wild players?

In case you don’t know who exactly is on the Wild:
Granlund
Staal
Zucker
Niderietter
Coyle
Spurgeon
Brodin
Dubnyk

Fire!

Reactions: AKL

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Take a deep breath, things will work out.. it'll be ok!!

In any case why would Minny ever trade Granlund? Makes 0 sense.
Here’s my rationale:
Granlund is a UFA in 2 years. If he decides to stay, he’s going to want 8-9 million. I’m fine giving granlund 8ish million if he’s in a 1b role. Right now he’s in a 1A role with nobody in the near future to drive a line with him. I simply don’t believe that granlund can be the #1 guy on a Stanley cup contending team. Granlund would return a haul that could put the wild in a good spot to transition quickly.

Minnesota will always be too good to contend for top picks with granlund on the team.

We’re never going to contend in the central with the makeup of this team, why fool ourselves.

Get a good package for you players while you still can. Take a step back for a few years while Nashville, Winnipeg, Colorado get older and their players get closer to UFA years.

Strike back in 3-5 years with a wave of young, talented players. Minnesota has literally never done this in its entire existence.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Here’s my rationale:
Granlund is a UFA in 2 years. If he decides to stay, he’s going to want 8-9 million. I’m fine giving granlund 8ish million if he’s in a 1b role. Right now he’s in a 1A role with nobody in the near future to drive a line with him. I simply don’t believe that granlund can be the #1 guy on a Stanley cup contending team. Granlund would return a haul that could put the wild in a good spot to transition quickly.

Minnesota will always be too good to contend for top picks with granlund on the team.

We’re never going to contend in the central with the makeup of this team, why fool ourselves.

Get a good package for you players while you still can. Take a step back for a few years while Nashville, Winnipeg, Colorado get older and their players get closer to UFA years.

Strike back in 3-5 years with a wave of young, talented players. Minnesota has literally never done this in its entire existence.

Minny has the tools to go deep in the playoffs, just give it some time and keep building around your current core and develop your young talent. Look at how long it took Washington to win a cup.

Reactions: Myyrynen

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nino is not worth his new contract.
Staal should fetch MIN a late 1st.
Coyle and Zucker even more.
Dubnyk would have good value around the league.
Oilers need to make the playoffs this year but they can't give up their 1st for someone like Staal.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you have good C depth (which Minny has) you don't necessarily need an elite 1C to win a cup. Minny has the tools to go deep in the playoffs, just give it some time and keep building around your current core and develop your young talent. Look at how long it took Washington to win a cup.

We don't have good C depth. We have Staal who's struggling this year compared to the last two, we have Koivu. One is 34 and the other is 35. After that we have essentially nobody. Eriksson Ek shouldn't be in the NHL right now and Hendricks and Fehr rotate 4th line duties, and neither of them are even spectacular 4th liners. After those 5 players we have approximately 0 centers who will be NHL players either now or in the foreseeable future. Our next bet is Jack McBain or Alex Khovanov, both of whom were drafted this summer.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nino is not worth his new contract.
Staal should fetch MIN a late 1st.
Coyle and Zucker even more.
Dubnyk would have good value around the league.
Oilers need to make the playoffs this year but they can't give up their 1st for someone like Staal.

He’s having a less than stellar year for sure but he’d be a great add.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He’s having a less than stellar year for sure but he’d be a great add.

He's also playing third line with Eriksson Ek who isn't an NHL caliber top 9 C at this point, and Greenway, who's a rookie. Certainly he'd be doing better in Edmonton's top 6.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
We don't have good C depth. We have Staal who's struggling this year compared to the last two, we have Koivu. One is 34 and the other is 35. After that we have essentially nobody. Eriksson Ek shouldn't be in the NHL right now and Hendricks and Fehr rotate 4th line duties, and neither of them are even spectacular 4th liners. After those 5 players we have approximately 0 centers who will be NHL players either now or in the foreseeable future. Our next bet is Jack McBain or Alex Khovanov, both of whom were drafted this summer.

Staal is still a legit 1C, Koivu's play is starting to fall off a bit but his defensive play still makes him a viable 2C (although he's someone you'd rather play at 3C eventually while bumping Eriksson Ek to 2C.. whenever he takes the next step).

A lot of it comes down to the development of Eriksson Ek, if he manages to step his game up in a year or two Minny would be in a good spot to contend for a cup. But yea once Staal and Koivu's play starts dipping it'll probably be time to move some pieces, i'd give it 2-3 more years tho (assuming Staal wants to resign for 2+ years).

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
"I don't want to overreact to a small sample size"
That big of an overreaction huh?

It’s not even how they’re playing right now, I know this team will make the playoffs. That’s not the point. This is a huge sample size. The last 6 years to be exact. It’s the same story different year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Staal is still a legit 1C, Koivu's play has fallen off a bit but his defensive play makes him a viable 2C (although he's someone you'd rather play at 3C). A lot of it comes down to the development of Eriksson Ek, if he manages to step his game up in a year or two Minny would be in a good spot to contend for a cup. But yea once Staal and Koivu's play starts dipping it'll probably be time to move some pieces, i'd give it 2-3 more years tho.

Staal is 44th in center scoring right now. Koivu is actually one point ahead of him as well. Who knows where they'll finish this season, and who knows how long until both of their play falls off. This could be the year. Could be next year. Who knows. It's a ticking time bomb.

And Eriksson Ek looks nowhere near ready to take over anything from either of them. Could he take a step in the next year or two? Sure, but it would have to be a giant leap before he's ready to take a top 6 spot.

If we can make some kind of change of scenery trade with Nino or Coyle, or even Zucker if it nets us the right return, and get a similarly aged center, it'll buy us some time, but it's still no guarantee.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Staal is 44th in center scoring right now. Koivu is actually one point ahead of him as well. Who knows where they'll finish this season, and who knows how long until both of their play falls off. This could be the year. Could be next year. Who knows. It's a ticking time bomb. And Eriksson Ek looks nowhere near ready to take over anything from either of them. Could he take a step in the next year or two? Sure, but it would have to be a giant leap before he's ready to take a top 6 spot. If we can make some kind of change of scenery trade with Nino or Coyle, or even Zucker if it nets us the right return, and get a similarly aged center, it'll buy us some time, but it's still no guarantee.

Yea i think moving Nino/Coyle/Zucker (although it's probably best to keep Zucker) could be a good move to explore (especially if it's for a center), that said moving Granlund before Kaprizov and Kunin make the jump (and Eriksson Ek hits his stride) would be a mistake. Doing a slight re-tool while building around Granlund sounds fine tho.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Staal is 44th in center scoring right now. Koivu is actually one point ahead of him as well. Who knows where they'll finish this season, and who knows how long until both of their play falls off. This could be the year. Could be next year. Who knows. It's a ticking time bomb.

And Eriksson Ek looks nowhere near ready to take over anything from either of them. Could he take a step in the next year or two? Sure, but it would have to be a giant leap before he's ready to take a top 6 spot.

If we can make some kind of change of scenery trade with Nino or Coyle, or even Zucker if it nets us the right return, and get a similarly aged center, it'll buy us some time, but it's still no guarantee.

Agreed. I think it’s too much rolling of the dice to bank anything in Eriksson Ek. Hasn’t shown me anything yet that makes me think he’ll develop into more than a 3rd liner.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yea i think moving Nino/Coyle/Zucker (although it's probably best to keep Zucker) could be a good move to explore, that said moving Granlund before Kaprizov and Kunin make the jump (and Eriksson Ek hits his stride) would be a mistake. Doing a slight re-tool while building around Granlund sounds fine tho.

I'm personally not a fan of moving Granlund, though I can see why someone would at least talk about it on a message board.

The other issue with waiting for Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Kaprizov, Sokolov, Khovanov, McBain, etc is that they may never "make it." They may, in fact they probably will, not ever be the impact players you hope they are. So you wait years and years waiting for some of these players, and then they turn into underwhelming middle 6ers like Nino and Coyle. Then you have shiny new toys in the pool and you say, "wait for those guys before doing anything rash."

Eventually you have to make the re-tool regardless of what's in the pipeline. We've had this same basic core of Granlund, Spurgeon, Nino, Coyle, Zucker and Brodin for years now and it's the same end result. I'm not sure the extent to which Fletcher and Fenton have looked into what's available, but we've seen quite a few struggling guys moved around in the last year or so (Lindholm, Schmaltz, Galchenyuk, Domi). Eventually you have to get yourself into the mix and try to do something, rather than just sitting and hoping this same core will pull a 180 when playoff time comes.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Coyle+Spurgeon
For
Nurse+Puljujarvi + Spooner(cap)

That's not good even if we are looking for picks/prospects. Puljujarvi is on the fast track to busting hard, Spooner is hot garbage, and we don't need the LHD.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d be more interested in your first than anything. That thing can’t lose a lottery

Also not sold on EDM's 1st this year, especially if they were to receive Coyle and Spurgeon in this scenario.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You're banking on age carrying serious weight here.
Apparently that's the whole point of OP. Buy time for MIN.
If Nurse is just a LD then sure take a 1st instead. Puljujarvi is still our best forward prospect even if you think he has busted at age 20. You can swap him for Yamamoto. instead.
Coyle and Spurgeon are UFAs in a year and bit where Pulju and Nurse are RFAs for 4 more yrs.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Apparently that's the whole point of OP. Buy time for MIN.
If Nurse is just a LD then sure take a 1st instead. Puljujarvi is still our best forward prospect even if you think he has busted at age 20. You can swap him for Yamamoto. instead.
Coyle and Spurgeon are UFAs in a year and bit where Pulju and Nurse are RFAs for 4 more yrs.
I don't get HF lmao.

Yams is only 6 months younger than Jesse, yet somehow Kailer is still a really good prospect and Pulju is gonna bust incredibly hard. Yeesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuola

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't get HF lmao.

Yams is only 6 months older than Jesse, yet somehow Kailer is still a really good prospect and Pulju is gonna bust incredibly hard. Yeesh.

Also ignoring the fact that Puljujarvi is playing well in the NHL on our 2nd line even if he’s not getting rewarded on the stats sheet and Yamamoto has just kinda been ok on the 2nd line the AHL...

Reactions: 780il

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad